Sign in to follow this  
nathancase11@hotmail.com

CONNECTION ERRORS

Still no go on the updates (unless through the Start Menu or with Terminal Services enabled), no tray icon either.

Now, Lavasoft asks for a log file, but please explain to me how I can provide an update log if the update button doesn't work!!! I deleted the log, clicked on the button and it does nothing and has been doing nothing for a while now. It doesn't recreate the log file either... So yeah, what's the point.

This is one for the history books... ;)

Not sure if it helps, but below is the log after doing an update check through the start menu and one through the program with Terminal Services enabled. Looks normal to me.

MSG [1144] 2009/05/28 18:45:54: Downloading file: metafile.dat size: 18kB

MSG [1144] 2009/05/28 18:45:54: Connected: download.lavasoft.com

MSG [2144] 2009/05/28 18:45:56: Update finished

MSG [3164] 2009/05/28 18:47:36: Downloading file: metafile.dat size: 18kB

MSG [3164] 2009/05/28 18:47:36: Connected: download.lavasoft.com

MSG [1592] 2009/05/28 18:47:37: Update finished

And again, with Terminal Services disabled/not running, the Web Update button does nothing. Using XP SP3.

Having altered my Vista laptop with Workaround 2 and successfully managed to download updates - this morning I got a whole bundle of updates in one go, some of which appeared to address files mentioned in this string - any idea whether now would be a good time to undo Workaround 2 and see if Vista (as Vista) will connect and accept downloads??

I'm glad you got it working, ebor. Mine still doesn't work with XP SP 3, so I'm just downloading the updates from CNET and installing them manually, until they fix the problem. It really is a very nice program. It' the best free anti-malware out there. CNET gave Malwarebytes Anti-Malware the Editor's Choice for April 2009, but Ad-Aware is so much better. Hopefully, they'll have this problem fixed soon.

Edited by Dom Fontana

System: Windows Vista Home Premium SP1

Ad-Aware Version: 8.0.4 (Anniversary Edition; free)

Firewall: G Data Firewall or Standard Windows Firewall or none (same effect)

Log: see attachement

None of the Workarounds worked for me.

Service was running and was configured OK

Compatibility mode didn't help

Update via Start menu doesn't work either.

Any ETA on a solution?

I just recently switched over from Spybot to Ad Aware and would hate top switch again.

Update.log

Edited by Lohiro

1. Windows Vista, Home Basic. Current service packs

2. Ad Aware Free AE 8.0.4

3. Standard Windows Firewall

4. log see attachment

Everything worked find I am assuming until last update? I tried uninstalling and downloading it again and that didnt work. Also tried all the work arounds posted here and still no go.

Moderator edit: Posting log in plain text for easier viewing

MSG [3328] 2009/05/20 16:42:47: Unable to get metafile

MSG [3536] 2009/05/20 16:42:51: Update finished

MSG [2676] 2009/05/20 16:44:55: Unable to get metafile

MSG [2680] 2009/05/20 16:44:58: Update finished

MSG [2872] 2009/05/20 16:45:42: Unable to get metafile

MSG [3804] 2009/05/20 16:45:48: Update finished

MSG [4512] 2009/05/31 17:23:28: Unable to get metafile

MSG [4504] 2009/05/31 17:23:30: Update finished

MSG [3380] 2009/06/05 06:57:55: Unable to get metafile

MSG [3248] 2009/06/05 06:57:59: Update finished

MSG [6000] 2009/06/05 07:00:48: Unable to get metafile

MSG [5996] 2009/06/05 07:02:07: Update finished

MSG [5056] 2009/06/05 07:02:20: Unable to get metafile

MSG [4596] 2009/06/05 07:03:30: Update finished

MSG [4820] 2009/06/05 07:08:20: Unable to get metafile

MSG [4804] 2009/06/05 07:08:21: Update finished

MSG [5460] 2009/06/05 07:08:50: Unable to get metafile

MSG [5360] 2009/06/05 07:08:51: Update finished

MSG [0672] 2009/06/05 07:12:15: Unable to get metafile

MSG [3304] 2009/06/05 07:12:19: Update finished

Update.log

Edited by LS CalamityJane
adding log in plain text

Hello,

Here recently i ran into a BIG issue where no security software, including windows defender, could connect to update the definition file. Even worse I was unable to manually download because every site like microsoft.com and many others "could not connect" using Internet Explorer or Firefox. My first reaction was obviously to seach online...with no luck as to what was causing this, I began to "attempt" to correct the issue myself.

After numerous days I found the my TCP/IPv4 dns servers were no longer set to automatically obtain, but were set to some number like 85.?.?.? (? = cant remember the rest). Knowing i didnt set it like this i changed it back to automatically obtain the dns servers...and presto everything fixed. I could now update definition files for all my security programs and all websites started working again. Once this was done I updated my spyhunter3 and it immediately found TWO rootkits, it did its thing and problem solved

For those of you who MAY be having the same problem i suggest looking at your dns settings. I will attempt to briefly explain how to get to these, but since every operating system is different...vista, xp, ect, Im only gonna tell you basics and hope either you figure it out or google how to locate these "basics".

1) Open network connections

2)Right click the connection you use, and click Properties

3) Select Internet Protocol Version 4

4)Click the Properties Button

5)Typically (unless you have set it otherwise) Obtain Ip address automatically and Obtain DNS Server address automatically

should be checked. If you or someone else who uses the computer has not manually set these values, then chances are they should be set to automatic so set them both to automatic.

I hope if anyone else has had the problems I have, this will fix it for you.

Use the update from START menu Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware\Ad-Aware updates, this worked for me. :angry:

However if I try to update from systray or from within the program it still continues to fail.

Use the start menu and click on "Ad-Aware update"

("C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware\AAWService.exe" /forceupdate)

This doesn't fix it, but will should allow u to update, it did for me.

Hi to all,

Have same issue on two DELL LAPTOPS with same setup... Connection Error, check your settings pops up from both the Taskbar Icon and from the Start menu...

I have:

VISTA HOME PREMIUM; SP1

Adaware Free Anniversary Edition 8.0.4

Norton 360; v 3.0.0.134

Update Log attached.

Looking forward to fast fix to this issue - especially, since now manual intervention is needed.

@ Javacat, I have moved your post to a new topic. Casey

Using "Ad-Aware update" from the start menu worked for me.

Target="C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware\AAWService.exe" /forceupdate"

foh

ngk2323

Some LS research guys want to help you via remote computer.

Are you interested ? Feel free to pm me.

Raziel

Hey, we are having trouble with the connectivity and can't update, so I tried these options given:

*Go to, C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware and right click on

AAWService.exe, select properties in popup menu and in the

Compatibility tab. Change the Compatibility mode to "Run this program

in compatibility mode for: Windows XP" , click ‘apply’ then ‘ok’. Do

the same for Ad-AwareAdmin.exe and then retry the web-update.

*Go to Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Services and locate "Lavasoft

Ad-Aware Service". Stop the Service (if started) and then right

click/properties. Under Logon, check "Allow service to interact with desktop", click OK and restart the service and then retry the web-update.

With the first one, I got to where it says in compatibility mode to select windows XP, but there was no windows XP in the drop down box, only 95, 98, ME.

In the second one, I couldn't even access the lavasoft adaware service.

Does anyone have a fix to this???

thank you

*Go to, C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware and right click on

AAWService.exe, select properties in popup menu and in the

Compatibility tab. Change the Compatibility mode to "Run this program

in compatibility mode for: Windows XP" , click ‘apply’ then ‘ok’. Do

the same for Ad-AwareAdmin.exe and then retry the web-update.

I got to where it says in compatibility mode to select windows XP, but there was no windows XP in the drop down box, only 95, 98, ME.

If your OS is XP, it won't show up on the drop down menu, it only shows prior versions of Windows. Some have had success by checking Win98/ME.

*Go to Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Services and locate "Lavasoft

Ad-Aware Service". Stop the Service (if started) and then right

click/properties. Under Logon, check "Allow service to interact with desktop", click OK and restart the service and then retry the web-update.

I couldn't even access the lavasoft adaware service.

You mean it's not listed in Services, or that you could not change the status? If it's not listed, it looks like the install was not complete. If you can't change the status, I'm not sure what's wrong.

You mean it's not listed in Services, or that you could not change the status? If it's not listed, it looks like the install was not complete. If you can't change the status, I'm not sure what's wrong.

No, I just can't even open the services file. When I go into the administrative tools, I see services, but it's a shortcut file. When I click on the shortcut file, it says it can't open it because either "The file does not exist, or you may not have sufficient access rights to the file.

I am doing this from my account on my mom's computer, so she may have set up limits to what can be done on my side, and that may be causing that problem... I didn't think about that at first.. I'll try from her side and see what happens.

Thanks for the help!!

Great news here.

I had posted some messages here in the past about connection problems. I couldn't update from either the icon or the menu. After about a month, I uninstalled Ad-Aware and tried Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware. I didn't like that program at all. Nowhere near as nice as Ad-Aware.

Now for the good news. I just uninstalled Anti-Malware and reinstalled Ad-Aware. I figured I'd rather use Ad-Aware, even without auto-updates, than Anti-Malware.

To my pleasant surprise Ad-Aware now works perfectly again. I don't know what changed, but it now works. I can update from both the icon and the menu.

I didn't download any updates or do anything on my end to try to fix it, so I imagine Lavasoft did something on their end to fix it.

Thanks to those who fixed it and thanks for providing a great program for free.

Anyone reading this should try the update again. It should work now.

Edited by Dom Fontana

Well, I uninstalled Ad-Aware AE using Revo Uninstaller and then reinstalled it. The installer automatically downloaded updates, and my Ad-Aware is now updated to the latest version 8.0.6. However, I still cannot update through the Web Update button inside the program. :)

Moreover: as before, right-clicking the Ad-Aware tray icon and selecting 'Update' still returns the Error "Failed to start update".

Edited by Porthus

Sorry it doesn't work for you, Porthus. I don't know what to say. When I reinstalled it, it also downloaded the 8.0.6 update, and now it works fine. And it worked fine before 8.0.5, so I thought 8.0.5 was the culprit.

Maybe someone else here can help you. Good luck.

Edited by Dom Fontana

In my case, it's not a major problem really, because as before, I'm still able to run the Update Manager from the Start menu: Start -> Programs -> Lavasoft -> Ad-Aware -> Ad-Aware Updates. Not being able to update from within the program it's just a minor annoyance. Upon reading the change log for 8.0.6 I thought that the connection errors during updates had been fixed.

Edited by Porthus

im getting this message

i came back later and after it tried install it did it again so nothing installed what do i do

post-28381-1246295024.jpg

I am getting the same message every time I try to update through the interface. start menu doesn't work either. every once in a while it will go into the download of the def file but then stops :s

ya sits alot waiting on it

i "fixed " it idk i tried exe check box thing it sems fix it idk

anyone have a solution

i also got it while it was upgrading the install

Edited by cootmaster

I was getting exactly what cootmaster was getting for over a month. For some reason, it now works perfectly for me again, with the new updated program. I wish I could offer more assistance, but I don't know why it's working now. I thought the update fixed it for everyone, but I guess not.

Any help yet, this problem has been going on since May 20. I've tried all the 'fixes" and nothing works. I agree with the previous post, I've been using adaware for a long time and might need to look elsewhere. HELP!

Any help yet, this problem has been going on since May 20. I've tried all the 'fixes" and nothing works. I agree with the previous post, I've been using adaware for a long time and might need to look elsewhere. HELP!

These"fixes" aren't the issues, as most computers have these settings by default.

it's the entire Lavasoft network that is the problem.

The whole server is slow.

pages are slow here, and i'm barely half way through a "manual" update, since the auto update fails every time.

4.3 Kb sec is pathetic.

dial up is faster, which must be what they re running on?????

instead of blaming installs and such, they need to fix the server problems.

i can try updating any of the computers here, or one across town on a different ISP and the issues are the same.

These are all "clean" computers and no, the firewalls aren't blocking anything.

it almost seems like "new installs" get directed to a different server, but the auto updates don't.

right now the manual download is just sitting there.

It's IP is :

it comes back to Lavasoft in Sweden.

they either need new computers and/or a new service provider.

Sign in to follow this