Sign in to follow this  
nathancase11@hotmail.com

CONNECTION ERRORS

Okay, may have figured out why a lot of people are having problems, while the Lavasoft techs can't figure it out. they are probably trying to solve the issue "within" there own network.

First:

I have NO problems with any other program downloading updates.

Now having said that, i decided to log my router info and check it.

sure enough, i had the following entries:

Blocked incoming TCP packet from 82.99.19.11:80 to xxx.xx.xx.xxx as SYN:ACK received but there is no active connection

as i said ALL other traffic works fine, as does the updating of everything else.

i made a special rule to allow this ip and traffic, and the web updater worked quickly without issue.

i've tried it a few times and i seems to connect quickly and say i am now up to date.

I'd suggest to everyone to check your router or firewall log and look for this ip from them.

looks like whatever it is that they are doing when sending the updates may be causing responses to get blocked.

Not saying this will solve everyones problem, but it's a step in the right direction at least.

:unsure:

The whole server is slow.

pages are slow here, and i'm barely half way through a "manual" update, since the auto update fails every time. 4.3 Kb sec is pathetic.

Yeah, this forum is the slowest message board I frequent, but it's odd since it's spotty. Sometimes it seems to lock up and timeout for 5 mins, then suddenly it's back to normal.

With manual definition download, I've noticed Mondays are always super-slow for virtually an entire 24 hr period. Otherwise I get about 175Kb/s. Since no new def files are released on weekends, they probably need to throttle down traffic on Mondays since the defs are now 29mb.

Thanks for the tip on router/IP allow - I'll take a look and see if I can get better results too.

what going on!

it gets half done and sitting here!

even rar says 47 mins!

Edited by cootmaster

Yeah, EVERYTHING is slow about these guys.

they need new servers, or need to offload some of this to other servers, especially some in the U.S.

At least my downloads work now, but they take a couple of hours.

whatever they are doing on their server end needs to be fixed, since no other software program i have ever used has needed special permission on my firewall settings to allow special replies.

:o

They need a new IT person.

Edited by Duke77

I posted on the 26 April regarding the ongoing issues with updates. I have tried the workarounds but nothing allows me to update. Still getting the same messages.

Incidently, my laptop computer that runs XP updates fine!

Are Lavasoft any nearer to resolving the problem?

I would just like to say that my updates now work...Thanks to the support staff...It's taken a while but at least it works again.

Thanks

Hi People,

I'm using Ad-Aware AE 8.0.8, Windows XP SP3, AVG Free 8.5 and Firewall of Windows turned on.

I could update the program just though start button (Start -> All Programs -> Lavasoft -> Ad-Aware -> Ad-Aware Updates).

When I tried to update though Ad-Aware user interface nothing happened and when I tried to update though tray icon a bip was played.

Regards,

João Bosco Delfino Jr.

when I tried to update though tray icon a bip was played.

What's a "bip?"

Were you looking to update from AE 8.0.8 to the new 2010 8.1? If so, I would recommend first doing a clean uninstall of AE 8.0.8 using revouninstaller.com, then download the 8.1 installer to your HDD to install the new version.

There have been problems with 8.1, so if you choose to keep 8.0.8, I recommend updating definitions only (the 3 methods of update you mentioned will update both software and definitions):

http://www.lavasoft.com/mylavasoft/support...hat-should-i-do

Hi Visitor,

When I said "bip" I mean a sound. Like I said, when I tried to update though Tray Icon a sound was played, only a quickly sound, nothing more.

I will uninstall Ad-Aware 8.0.8 and I will try Ad-Aware 8.1, like you suggested.

I never hear about "revouninstaller.com". What is it?

I appreciate your help.

Best Regards,

João Bosco Delfino Jr.

Edited by João Bosco Delfino Jr.

I will uninstall Ad-Aware 8.0.8 and I will try Ad-Aware 8.1, like you suggested.

I never hear about "revouninstaller.com". What is it?

Personally, I'm not recommending you update from AE to 8.1 since there's a problem which affects a lot of users. I think "if it works, don't fix it" which is why I still have AE 8.0.3 and I manually update only the definitions. I haven't found the need for any of the changes so far. I used SE until it expired in March, LOL.

Revo Uninstaller is a program which will cleanly uninstall programs, better than most Add/Remove uninstalls which often leave things behind.

Ok, I will follow your recomendation. I won't update to 8.1 version.

But I have a problem to update only the definitions file, let me try to explain you. First of all, I tried to update though update button on user interface program and nothing happened. After that, I tried to update though tray icon and that sound was played, like I told you. After that, I downloaded the definitions file manually and I tried import from settings button and nothing happened again. Finally, I tried to copy the core.aawdef to defs folder and again nothing happened. I only got successfull update though start button, but updating this way I will receive both software and definitions file and like you said, I just need the definition file, then how can I update only the definition file?

I will download Revo Uninstall to try on another programs that I want to remove.

Thanks.

Updating through Ad-Aware, tray icon, or start menu will update both the program and software, so it doesn't matter if those work until you decide to upgrade to 8.1.

To manually install definitions, I do not use the "Import" button:

1. download core.zip from http://download.lavasoft.com/public/core.zip - save to desktop.

2. create a desktop folder with:

- shortcut to C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware\Defs, and

- shortcut to C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware\Ad-Aware.exe.

3. open Defs folder, open core.zip, and drag the definitions file core.aawdef into the Defs folder (replace old core.aawdef).

4. right-click tray icon to exit Ad-Aware, then restart using the shortcut to Ad-Aware.exe (Ad-Aware needs to be restarted to load the new definitions).

5. When you restart Ad-Aware, you should see the new definitions number under "Web Update." Ignore the "Last Update" date, since that is the last date Web Update was used for both program and definitions.

Edited by visitor

OK, I will do it.

But I didn't understand somethings:

Why I have to create two folders at desktop?

Why can't I copy the core.aawdef directly at C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware\Defs using Windows Explorer?

I already have a shortcut to Ad-Aware.exe at desktop, have I create another one?

Thanks.

Edited by João Bosco Delfino Jr.

You don't need to create the desktop folder - I find it faster to have a shortcut to the folder than to use Windows Explorer since Ad-Aware updates their definitions every day.

You don't need 2 shortcuts to Ad-Aware - I moved the Ad-Aware shortcut to a desktop folder, along with the shortcut to the Defs folder, since both will be used at the same time.

It's a matter of preference. I usually make a shortcut for anything I use daily. I also keep a lot of things for this forum in the same folder.

@budc and RSerrano, your posts have been moved to the appropriate forum: http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?showforum=176 Casey

Edited by casey_boy

Sign in to follow this