Sign in to follow this  
nathancase11@hotmail.com

Cannot Update: Connection Error

Workaround #1 failed - Lavasoft Ad-Aware Service was not on the list.

Workaround #2 failed - I was able to change the compatibility mode, but with no change in the problem. Also, mode Windows 98 SP2 was not listed; Windows 98/ME was the closest. Also, the

UAC request to let me run the program in administrator mode was hidden behind the main Ad-Aware SE window, but displaying it and approving it did not help.

Workaround #3 failed - Terminal Services was not on the list. It may be significant that I run these menus in Classic View mode.

I'm still not sure if I have the latest version of Ad-Aware AE - is there a way to check the version number if the program won't stay open long enough to use the usual method?

Also, it may be significant that Spybot - Search & Destroy 1.62 maintains a hosts file if you use the Immunize function. There's a possibility that it includes a bad entry for your update site(s). I believe I've just downloaded an update to version 1.63, so I'll see if that helps.

The Spybot - Search & Destroy update today was larger that usual, but not a new version. Some symptoms of my problem that may be different from the others: High disk activity most of the time for at least a week; some due to hard faults. Something seems to be reserving blocks of memory without marking them as for a specific process; Windows Task Manager shows at least 50% of the physical memory in use when the resulting slowdowns occur, but usually not much more. The memory is shows as for specific tasks, or for the system, does not add up to 50% of the total. This apparant memory leak occurs both on my 32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 machine, which has 2 GB physical memory and uses Ad-Aware AE, an antivirus program, and three other antispyware programs, and on my 64-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 machine, which has 8 GB and uses a different security package.

On both of my machines, I usually have workunits from a number of BOINC projects running, including some for which I'm participating in the alpha tests or beta tests of new versions of their software, and also Windows Mail with a rather heavy load of read and unread newsgroup messages (probably a few hundred thousand on each machine). These BOINC projects are mostly related to medical research, and all from groups that seem more interested in getting the work done for which they need BOINC to let the public use their computers to help, than in deliberately messing up computers.

Do you know any programs suitable for monitoring such memory usage under Vista SP2? Windows Task Manager has already been tried, and does not show enough information.

I'm still not sure if I have the latest version of Ad-Aware AE - is there a way to check the version number if the program won't stay open long enough to use the usual method?

The only way I know of to check the version is clicking the "About" icon in the lower-right corner of the GUI. Unfortunately, my exe file properties still say version 8.0.0, so the actual version number is embedded somewhere else.

Also, it may be significant that Spybot - Search & Destroy 1.62 maintains a hosts file if you use the Immunize function. There's a possibility that it includes a bad entry for your update site(s).

I haven't had any problems with Spybot immunization/host file, only the Ad-Aware warning when Spybot first opens. But I'm in a totally different situation - I have XP, immediately turned off AAW auto-update after installation in April, then manually updated only once, so I'm still on version 8.0.3. I don't think it's Spybot's host entries which are causing the problem - with so many people posting, I think a trend would have developed.

I don't think it's Spybot's host entries which are causing the problem - with so many people posting, I think a trend would have developed.

I would say a trend developed a long time ago, but they are failing to act on it.

it is on their server side.

Either they don't have an IT guy who can fix it, or they can't/won't upgrade their old slow hardware.

Everything is slow when it comes to them, the updates are slow downloading, and this place is slow.

The fact that this is the ONLY program that i have to give my router special permission for their IP address in order for the updates to work properly says it all.

I'd bet that the majority of people without issues don't have much in the way of a firewall, since the updates seem to rely on pings, and since most software and hardware files tend to block that, the lavasoft servers sit there continuing to wait for reply's before continuing to send packets.

It would be nice to see them have other places host the update file, similar to spybot. i suspect that would alleviate a large majority of issues.

even if they can pick a host elsewhere to have them and allow a "test" of participants to have the program update from that host instead should show a major improvement.

6+ months of issues and they haven't resolved it yet?

come on.

I don't think it's Spybot's host entries which are causing the problem - with so many people posting, I think a trend would have developed.

I would say a trend developed a long time ago, but they are failing to act on it.

Either they don't have an IT guy who can fix it, or they can't/won't upgrade their old slow hardware.

I think you misunderstood my post or I don't understand yours. I was saying that if Spybot's immunization was causing the problem, it would have emerged as a common thread thus creating a trend. Slow servers and/or firewall permissions would be a different problem from Spybot's host file blocking.

It would be nice to see them have other places host the update file, similar to spybot.

Spybot allows users to choose the mirror location from the updater, but are you sure Lavasoft doesn't use mirrors? They may have embedded it in the code, we just can't see it.

I think you misunderstood my post or I don't understand yours. I was saying that if Spybot's immunization was causing the problem, it would have emerged as a common thread thus creating a trend. Slow servers and/or firewall permissions would be a different problem from Spybot's host file blocking.

Spybot allows users to choose the mirror location from the updater, but are you sure Lavasoft doesn't use mirrors? They may have embedded it in the code, we just can't see it.

Yeah, sounds like we got a bit combined on topics.

I agree that spybot immunization probably isn't the issue either.

Doesn't look like they have any mirrors, and i think that may be some of the issue.

It always seems to go to the same IP address for updates, and if i block it, the updates fail without trying any "alternate IP's"

the IP it tries is :

maybe others can test this out as well and see if their issue can't be narrowed down even more, or if they are going to alternate ip addresses for updates?

also to narrow things down more, Ad-Aware does seem to use a different server on install. which may explain why people get it installed, but then can't run updates.

I renamed core.aawdef and tried to start the program, and it sat there on the "loading screen" for a while, and my log shows it accessing 69.28.151.90 which is a Limelight Network Server.

once it downloaded it then it started up.

so it's possible it may access more than one server on install, but then goes to the same one for everyone for updates.

If others could test this out and Lavasoft could chime in, maybe the issue can be resolved once and for all?

found the problem. All the work arounds i found in the lavasoft site and this forum didnt worked (e.g. the compatability settings, interactive logon, terminal service).

But when i checked my mcaffee firewall settings i found ad-aware admin application and ad-aware service application being blocked for some reason. I personally didnt do this. And im the only one using my comp.. anyways, i enabled them, tried to do an update and its now updating! :)

Last Update: 2009-08-01

Definition File: 0149.0018

So better check your firewall settings as well..

Edited by pchan