Sign in to follow this  
omatthey

AE 8.0.5 - CONNECTION ERRORS,

Hi to all,

Was hoping that with the Update to AE 8.0.5 the connection problem would be solved... But it was false hope, the connex issue remains 100% identical, at least on my Vista Home Machine: :D

Update works, when freshly logged in as Power User (NOT as ADMIN!)

Update does NOT work, when signed in as ADMIN or if SWITCH Users was used...

Seems it needs more Troubleshooting

Regards to all

OM

EDIT: Merging similar topics into a single manageable thread.

Spike

Edited by spike-nz
Topic Title

Original topic title: Retention Of Last Scan Date Still NOT Fixed, Version 8.0.5

Hi:

The release of AE Version 8.0.5 did nothing to resolve the issue of retaining the last scan date upon reboot. Reboot after any type scan still reflects Scan Status as "Not Yet Performed".

This has been an on going problem for longer than most of us want to recall.

ColTom2

Running XP MCE (2005) SP3 with all updates on Sony VGC-RA716G desktop.

IE7 ver 7.0.5730.13

AVG Free ver 8.5.339

Windows Defender ver 1.1.1593.0

Malwarebytes ver 1.36

A-Squared Free ver 4.5.0.1

Also:

XP Home SP3 with all updates on Toshiba 1135-S155 laptop.

IE7 ver 7.0.5730.13

AVG Free ver 8.5.339

Windows Defender ver 1.1.1593.0

Malwarebytes ver 1.36

A-Squared Free ver 4.5.0.1

SUPERAntiSpyware ver 4.26.1002

Edited by spike-nz
merging topics

I have updated to Adaware AE v8.0.5 and I keep getting Connection Error, Check your settings. . I have checked all my settings and cannot find the problem why Adaware shouldn't connect. I am using Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 and have Zonealarm (8.0.298), AVG (8.5.339), Spywareblaster (4.2), and Windows Defender installed on my computer.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! :D

Thanks,

Coolperson

Hi OM and Coolperson (and any others still affected),

Since you are still experiencing connection errors after the 8.05 release, would you please post your update log file, preferably after trying a couple more times to update.

In the above 'pinned post" added by LS Jeff today Software Update 8.0.5, you will see that some error messages have been added to the 8.05 software update, to assist the Devs in pinpointing the source of the problem.

Please post as the following information as a reply to this topic:

casey_boy Apr 26 2009

•Your Operating System and any Service Pack installed

•Your Ad-Aware Version (to find this click the "about" button on Ad-Aware's main interface) and which edition you are running i.e. free/plus/pro.

•Any firewall software you have installed

•Your update log. Please attach as a file do not just copy and paste. Instructions on how to find this are given below:

â—¦You will first need to configure your computer to view hidden files. Tutorial here

â—¦Navigate to the following folders:

â– Vista: C:\ProgramData\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware\Logs

â– XP: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware\Logs

â—¦Use the board's attachment system to upload your file.

Regards,

Spike

Lavasoft is really crazy. I downloaded Ad-AwareAE.exe (ver. 8.0.0) from download.com (redirected from lavasoft pages). I installed this version, in the end of instalation AE update itself and then PC restart. After reboot AE start automatically - tray icon is on, but update works only from start -> programs -> lavasoft... , if i click on update icon in GUI nothing happen. I closed AE, then right click on tray icon and select exit program. If i start AE again, tray icon doesn't appear never more. So we have got new version, but issue is still not fixed. :D

My system: Win XP SP3 Pro, Avast! home, standard win firewall.

Oh sorry that i replied three times, forum was jammed for a while. Can admin delete two posts please? ;)

Deleted :)

Edited by spike-nz
triple posts corrected

Original topic title: Retention Of Last Scan Date Still NOT Fixed, Version 8.0.5

Hi:

The release of AE Version 8.0.5 did nothing to resolve the issue of retaining the last scan date upon reboot. Reboot after any type scan still reflects Scan Status as "Not Yet Performed".

This has been an on going problem for longer than most of us want to recall.

This appears to be fixed for me with this update (even though it is not listed in the release notes as a "fix"). I DO recall having this problem with the 8.0.4 version however. Not sure where the last scan date is retained, but perhaps it has something to do with clearing your temp files or page file during the reboot?

I am using XP SP3 (32-bit) with all updates (except IE8)

Avast 4.8 Home (Free) Edition

Comodo 3.9.95478.509

Spybot S&D 1.6.2.0

A-Squared Free 4.5.0.1

Malwarebytes 1.37

IE7 7.0.5730.13

Operating System:

Windows Vista Home Premium SP1

Adaware Version:

Adaware 8.0.5 Free

Firewall:

Zonealarm Free (8.0.298)

Spike,

Thanks for the message letting me know that you merged my post! ;) I hope i have provided all needed information to find out why i cannot connect.

Thanks for the help! Let me know if you find the problem. The update log is attached as a file as you asked.

Coolperson

Update.log

Edited by coolperson987

Hi Coolperson,

Thanks for your patience and prompt response ;)

The Devs are now monitoring this thread, even if they don't have time to actually post - hopefully, the new error messages added to the logs will help point to the cause of this issue.

Regards,

Spike

On WinXP do not forget to set the service "terminal services" to manual or automatic. Without any logical reason (and with a big hole in our system security) Lavasoft decided to let the update works, from the GUI, only if this service is started. The link on the start menu works also without this service running or disabled. On XP you need to start this service to let AdAware updates itself from the main window otherwise nothing will happen.... Hope that Lavasoft will fix this issue (by my side and not only is an ISSUE because this service is a security hole in a solid system) in the next update.

Edited by Gancio

Hi Spike,

Sorry for late reply...

Attached pls find the update log...

The update at 19:40 was made through the NON ADMIN Account --> Update OK

The other three trials at around 19:50 were made with the ADMIN Account! --> Connection error

I have Windows Vista Home, SP1 and Norton 360

Hope this helps.

OM

Hi OM and Coolperson (and any others still affected),

Since you are still experiencing connection errors after the 8.05 release, would you please post your update log file, preferably after trying a couple more times to update.

In the above 'pinned post" added by LS Jeff today Software Update 8.0.5, you will see that some error messages have been added to the 8.05 software update, to assist the Devs in pinpointing the source of the problem.

Please post as the following information as a reply to this topic:

•Your Operating System and any Service Pack installed

•Your Ad-Aware Version (to find this click the "about" button on Ad-Aware's main interface) and which edition you are running i.e. free/plus/pro.

•Any firewall software you have installed

•Your update log. Please attach as a file do not just copy and paste. Instructions on how to find this are given below:

â—¦You will first need to configure your computer to view hidden files. Tutorial here

â—¦Navigate to the following folders:

â– Vista: C:\ProgramData\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware\Logs

â– XP: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware\Logs

â—¦Use the board's attachment system to upload your file.

Regards,

Spike

Update.log

Hi OM,

Thanks for the log :)

@Coolperson,

As I posted further up, the Devs are monitoring this thread but may not have time to actually post.

They will be checking all logs posted, both in this thread and others - with the extra error messages added to the logs with 8.05, hopefully the cause of the problem can be pinpointed.

Regards,

Spike

Spike,

It has been nearly two weeks with no answer as to what my problem is. Do you think i should re-install Adaware AE Free or just keep waiting for a reply?

Thanks,

Coolperson

Operating system: Vista Home Premiun SP2

Ad-Aware Version 8.0.5

Zone Alarm Free Edition

I too have tried the workarounds, and still am having problems updating. I went so far as uninstalling Ad-Aware 8.0.5, and cleaning up all entries, registry etc then rebooting, and then doing a clean install of version 8.0.5. Tried to update definitions again, with same "Connection error, check your settings." error. Unsuccessful with all the workarounds, tried them all! However, earlier today, I thought that I would try something totally off the wall, and started my pc in Safe Mode with Networking on. While in this mode, I tried to update my definitions for Ad-Aware 8.0.5 Anniversary edition, and it worked like a charm. Updated to 2009-06-08 0148.0047 without getting the connection error. Then rebooted back into normal mode, but when tried to update again using the normal mode in Windows, I again received the connection error. But I was able to successfully update while in Safe Mode with Networking on.

I have also noticed that since doing a clean install of version 8.0.5, in settings, under the tab of Scanning, under Miscellaneous, where "Add Ad-Adware to windows right-click menu" is indeed checked to show up when you right click on a program, or icon this handy little addtion has "not" been added to the right click menu. It is no longer listed, whereas prior to the connection error, it was still listed. So now two problems. Don't know whether or not they are related, but it is something that I have noticed since receiving the Connection error.

Hope this helps.

nanajmv

Just wanted to add my own two cents. The problem is not a network connection (from my view). I have attempted *ALL* 3 workarounds mentioned in the pinned article and none of them did anything.

Also, why not a network problem? I ran Wireshark to caption all data prior to launching "ad-adwareadmin.exe update all". I also tried "aawservice.exe /forceupdate", from the command line and Start menu (just for completeness) and finally from the normal GUI all with and without my firewall running. None resulted in *any* packets showing up in wireshark.

The logs are no help, the update log simple ends with "Unable to get metafile" followed by "Update finished".

I'm running XPsp2 with AE 8.0.5 last updated 5/26/09, via my wireless NIC.

Finally, when I initially tried to update from the GUI, clicking the update button did *nothing*. After messing with the command line, restarting services, etc. clicking on the GUI update results in the update window and the connection error dialog. But still no packets in wireshark.

Hope this helps.

Hi again,

Re connection problem: Full of hope I downloaded 8.0.6.... again to no avail. the Update issue remains.

Using Windows VISTA SP2 Home Edition:

Update with ADMIN Account gives Connection Error

Update with Power User Account works fine....

Hope that Lavasoft gets this problem under control soon!!!

Sincerely - O

Sign in to follow this