Sign in to follow this  
ColTom2

Question For Casey Boy

Hi Casey:

I made a posting yesterday that the retention of last scan date was still not being retained after reboot with the new version 8.0.5.

Apparently this posting has been deleted from all Forums, as I can't find it anywhere. If it has been transferred could you tell me where and if it was deleted why?

I was going to ask an additional question related to this posting. One of the fixes listed under version 8.0.5 was "Added scanning engine statistics". Was this fix suppose to have fixed the retention of the last scan date?

Thanks,

ColTom2

Hi ColTom2,

I think I found your post here: http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?showtopic=25702 (post 2).

I didn't actually have anything to do with the merging/deleting etc. I think Spike did it to have a single manageable thread.

To be honest, I'm not really sure what that fix is! I can ask if you'd like (or, in fact, you can in the Bug forum you have access to).

Casey

Hi Casey:

I just found that Spike had sent me a msg saying that the had merged this posting with another AE 8.0.5 - CONNECTION ERRORS (PLUS OTHER ISSUES NOT FIXED).

I really don't understand why he would move it to this posting which contained (PLUS OTHER ISSUES NOT FIXED). He could move just about all the postings to this one based upon this....sorta like mixing the apples with the oranges. This makes it harder to have any continuity of the problem originally posted and follwoing comments.

ColTom2

Hi Casey:

Do you know or have a way of finding out the name of the Scan Statistics files and where they are stored after running a scan?

These files are being deleted on reboot no doubt and that is why the last scan date is not retained. I have tried changing my computer settings applicable Temp and History files in an effort to isolate this problem, but so far have drawn a blank.

Thanks,

ColTom2

P.S. Windows Defender has a similar problem if you have CCleaner installed and have a check beside it in the Applications Tab under Utilities. It deletes the scan History etc. Simple solution is just to remove the check beside Windows Defender.

Hi Casey:

I found the scan .log files for all my previous scans so my reasoning that these scan log files were being deleted upon reboot was erroneous. (C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware\Logs)

The scan .log files are being retained, but apparently there is something else causing these scan dates not to appear in the Statistics upon reboot.

It's like something is causing an automatic "Reset Statistics" upon reboot. Now I wonder if the manual Reset Statistics feature could be the source of all this problem?

ColTom2

Hi ColTom2,

I really don't understand why he would move it to this posting

Didn't mean to offend in any way.

I was trying to keep all "post 8.05" issues in one thread immediately after the release, to assist the Devs from having to check a whole list of new topics.

Looking at the older threads that have been revived today (including this one on your problem), it looks like I was a bit optimistic ;)

Spike

NB: Please advise if you wish your original post and Topic title to be reinstated at the beginning of this thread.

CoolTom2,

In answer to your question, Lavasoft believe that it is something to do with not being able to write the statistics to disk. As explained here: http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?showtopic=24142 N.B. not all users will be able to access that link, so to quote:

I'm guessing that the problem is related to not being able to write the statistics file to disk for some reason, the question is why.

Casey

Hi Casey:

Your referenced posting was almost three months ago. Seems like Lavasoft could resolve an issue as straight forward as this in this amount of time.

Do you know if this issue is currently prevalent on all computers?

Thanks again for all your timely replies. Just wish that Lavasoft was the same....

ColTom2

Lol no problem. I think its the same error that, yes, was reported months ago - it's never been fixed. I'm pretty sure that's because they're not sure what the problem actually is! (Then there's this updating problem which I think is taking priority judging by the very short bug fix list released with this update).

No it's not prevalent on all computers - I have no problems myself. (except for a couple of times where the program has crashed).

Hi Casey:

If it's not prevalent on all computers then one would think that it is either one of two things.

1. Individual computer settings.

2. Application/s conflict.

BTW what OS and AV application are you running? Also what other spyware/malware app's?

I have basically the same on both my desktop and laptop and neither will retain the last scan date. I am not opposed to either changing my computer settings or uninstalling some applications in an effort to identify the possible cause. There was some prior comment about Nero which I have on both computers, but it hard for me to believe it would be a player.

Thanks,

ColTom2

P.S. I agree with you that was a rather short list of fixes in last upgrade (8.0.5) and also the connection issue seems to be the top priority. Hopefully this issue because of age will get resolved with the next upgrade, which I think they have previously at least twice tried to fix....but so far have been unsuccessful.

I have Windows Vista HP SP2 installed on my desktop and Windows Server 2008 Standard SP2 installed on my laptop, niether experience the problem.

As for installed security software I have AVG installed on the desktop and A-Squared installed on the laptop, with Windows Defender on both, also, on both computers is Ad-Aware Pro.

I also have nero installed and there seems to be no problems there either. I believe that I installed nero before AE on my desktop but AE before nero on my laptop - so there seems to be no problem there. My nero version is Nero 7 premium.

If you'be be willing to uninstall Nero (probably best to try with Revo or something), run scans with AE and reinstall Nero (I know that'd be a major pain) then I guess that would be useful. Or you could try, if you haven't already, checking your .dat associations?

Casey

Edited by casey_boy

Hi Casey:

I know that you have seen where I posted my computer data in another posting, but here it is again, as some have been updated since posting.

Running XP MCE (2005) SP3 with all updates on Sony VGC-RA716G desktop.

IE7 ver 7.0.5730.13

AVG Free ver 8.5.339

Windows Defender ver 1.1.1593.0

Malwarebytes ver 1.37

A-Squared Free ver 4.5.0.1

Also:

XP Home SP3 with all updates on Toshiba 1135-S155 laptop.

IE7 ver 7.0.5730.13

AVG Free ver 8.5.339

Windows Defender ver 1.1.1593.0

Malwarebytes ver 1.37

A-Squared Free ver 4.5.0.1

SUPERAntiSpyware ver 4.26.1004

So we both are running different OS's. Do you know of anyone with XP not having a problem?

It's hard for me to believe that Nero could be a player in causing not retaining the last scan date. So unless someone has more definitive info I am not going to uninstall it.

However, I did turn both AVG 8.5.339 and Windows Defender completely off at separate times and then ran scans. Nothing changed so I assume they are not players either.

Again hopefully Lavasoft can resolve this issue with their next upgrade. If not I might bail out, as I have plenty of ample protection. But I have been with Ad-aware for so long that I hate not to have it.

I feel as if I am back testing a Beta version with AE....which of course would be more understandable if it were not the finished product.

ColTom2

Sign in to follow this