Sign in to follow this  
richor999

PLEASE HELP - .EXE & ZIP FILES WON'T RUN OR OPEN

PLEASE HELP, WHENEVER I TRY TO DOWNLOAD A DRIVER OR .EXE FILE FROM THE INTERNET, OR EVEN FROM A DISC, IT WON'T RUN.

AT THE FIRST - NOTHING WAS HAPPENING, BY THAT I MEAN IT WENT THROUGH THE DOWNLOAD PROCESS, THEN NOTHING. THEN I CHANGED WHERE THE DOWLOADS WENT TO, FROM THE DOWNLOADS FOLDER TO THE DESKTOP, THEN MADE IT ASK. THEN, THEY ALL OPENED WITH iTunes BY THAT I MEAN THEY SIMPLY OPENED iTunes... THEN NOTHING.

I CONTACTED iTunes AND THEY RECOMENDED I UNINSTALL iTunes. NOW ALL .EXE DOWNLOAD AS AN EMPTY FILE WITH A BLANK ICON AND WHEN I TRY TO OPEN- GIVE ME A VARIET OF OPTIONS, FROM MICROSOFT WORD TO ADOBE AND WINDOWS MEDIA CENTRE TO DELL IMAGE. NONE OF THEM RUN THE .EXE

i HAVE TRIED MANY A REGISTRY FIX, SUCH AS REGISTRY MECHANIC FROM PCTOOLS AND PCTUNEUP'S REGISTRYREPAIRE; ALSO WINHELPONLINES FILE ASSOCIATION FIXES SEEMED THE BEST HOPE, . NOTHING SEEMS TO WORK - PRIMARALY BECAUSE MOST OF THEM ARE .EXE OR ZIP FILES!

WOULD BE MOST GRATEFUL TO GET MY COMPUTER BACK!!!

THANKS IN ADVANCE

RICHARD

Actually, I don't think this is an infection problem and he is having some problelms opening .exe files so HijackThis isn't really the answer here.

And, I'm not sure how this relates to Ad-Aware but let's go ahead and put this topic back into the General Support area in case anyone has any suggestions for this user. :angry:

It sounds to me as though iTunes somehow took over control of .exe files and then when you uninstalled it, Windows was left not knowing what to do with .exe files.

I think you need to reassociated .exe files. You can do some searching and should be able to find out how to do this, or if not, I found this site which has the default registry keys available for download (I can't verify the legitimacy of this site though - so it is purely at your own risk): http://www.dougknox.com/xp/file_assoc.htm

Just to confim, this has nothing to do with Ad-Aware at all.

Casey

I found this site which has the default registry keys available for download (I can't verify the legitimacy of this site though - so it is purely at your own risk):

The Doug Knox fixes are well-known and reliable - we have used them regularly to assist users with similar problems in the past.

@ Richard: Please see Ad Astra's posts regarding file associations in this archived thread (from late 2007, but still pertinent): http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?s...ost&p=56977

This may take some time and effort, so if you encounter any difficulties in restoring your file associations, please post back with any questions.

Regards,

Spike

PS: I will be away from next week until the end of the month - I'll make sure that this thread is monitored anyway.

Sign in to follow this