Sign in to follow this  
wayneo

Fewer Functions in Ad-Aware (Anniversary Edition)

I recently switched to Ad-Aware (Anniversary Edition) from SE Version. This latest version has fewer functions than the earlier freeware versions. It provides less information and is harder to use than the earlier freeware version. Has anyone else noticed this? Is there another freeware version of Ad-Aware out there today with more functions?

wayneo

Hi,

Which sort of functions do you believe are missing?

Casey

Casey,

The log records are all missing/unavailable in Anniversary Edition unless you want to export one (maybe). You cannot tweak the program as thoroughly as you could in earlier versions. The scan results are less informative. Is there another (freeware version) I could use instead?

Wayne

You can find log files in the Ad-Aware folder:

(Vista) C:\Program Data\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware\Logs

(XP) C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware\Logs

There are plans to improve the GUI scan result info - the logs currently have a bit more than the GUI.

I like AE more than SE since it has 3 settings for the Ad-Watch warnings and the popup is unobtrusive in the lower-right corner. I turned off SE's Ad-Watch since I had so many popups! Also, AE added antivirus and they plan to add it to the free version.

You'll have to be more specific about tweaks if you want to suggest something for future editions. I doubt Lavasoft plans on releasing more than 1 free product, so right now AE's the one.

Edited by casey_boy
Added filepath for Vista. Casey

I have a similar issue. I have Anniversary Pro Edition, which is an upgrade from SE Pro. I can't see the full path to the detected object, and can't seem to expand the width of the column. SE Pro used to allow the entire path to be displayed so you could see exactly where the malicious object resided. Is there a way to do this in the Anniversary Edition on the results screen? I don't want to go searching through cryptic logs.

SE Pro used to allow the entire path to be displayed so you could see exactly where the malicious object resided. Is there a way to do this in the Anniversary Edition on the results screen? I don't want to go searching through cryptic logs.

No secret way to maximize the results screen - all you have are drop down action menus. The logs provide more info than than the GUI and are easy to read. After the scan, click "export log file" allows you to save the log to a location of your choice and opens the log immediately onscreen.

No secret way to maximize the results screen - all you have are drop down action menus. The logs provide more info than than the GUI and are easy to read. After the scan, click "export log file" allows you to save the log to a location of your choice and opens the log immediately onscreen.

With earlier versions we did not have to export anything or hunt for any files or folders; the results were right there at the end of the scan.

Wayne

Hello, everyone:

Wayne, I agree with you. While I do like the AE version, I miss the granularity of the SE version, particularly within the results. Many who maintain computer systems know how important it is to know, exactly, where a particular infection is located within a system; telling a security application to perform any function, without knowing exactly where that action is going to take place is scary. On one hand, I like the simplification of the AE GUI; yet, if I have an infection or a possible false-positive, I need to know EXACTLY where that notice is being tripped and what file or files is tripping that alert. On the other hand, whenever I had to install and setup SE for a client, I did dread it, in that there were so many options to adjust and tweak. Unfortunately, any modifications had to be adjusted for every user on the system, which could have been adjusted by modifying the default user profile, to include the Ad-Aware SE modifications; however, this is also, in my opinion, not a good way to write or program software. Fortunately, as I have experienced AE, Lavasoft has written AE, so that, any modification is passed onto all other users of a system, unlike the SE version; this is a welcomed change.

Overall, I do like the AE version and do appreciate the modifications Lavasoft has implemented. However, since the launch of Ad-Aware AE on January 20, 2009, as we are now five months past launch date, I am getting concerned that some elements of AE are still not fixed and other issues have still not be rectified. This concerns me as a long-time customer of Lavasoft and as an advocate for Ad-Aware, especially as Microsoft has just released the beta version of Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) for FREE and that the final version will also be available, for FREE.

--Voltron

With earlier versions we did not have to export anything or hunt for any files or folders; the results were right there at the end of the scan.

Are 2 clicks really that difficult? "Export" -> "Desktop"

It just seems so ironic. Lavasoft simplified the GUI for the average user who would merely let the software do its job (admittedly, one of the staff here said they underestimated the demand for details, which is why I said they're considering it for future versions). In the meantime, the users who want more info are the ones with the skills to find logs and such, yet state it's inconvenient and should be simpler - exactly what Lavasoft was trying to do. Do you see where I'm coming from?

I agree with you visitor. The problem is some users want simple some want advanced options...Lavasoft have listened to this I promise...

keep an eye out for the next beta

:D

I think what could be done though is something like an 'expand' button which then could have given complete details?

I agree with you visitor. The problem is some users want simple some want advanced options...Lavasoft have listened to this I promise...

keep an eye out for the next beta

;)

I think what could be done though is something like an 'expand' button which then could have given complete details?

That would be wonderful. Having the popup tell me that "setup.exe" or "uninstall.exe" (without even a full pathname) is trying to change something makes the accept/reject choice pretty much a coin flip.

An "expand" button which would give the kind of info SE used to give (what's being changed, what it's being changed from, and what it's being changed to) would be greatly appreciated. -JW

If you get a false positive in any of the AdWatch Live sections and want to remove the rule it still keeps a log written in the list you see in the GUI.

This is a PIA as the list can become long over time and even opening the log and editing it manually it does not get rid of the text in the GUI even after a restart.

The only change in the new Beta is it turns green now.

It also keeps blocking random websites stating Ad Muncher is trying to access them, well of coarse it is as its stopping pop ups and does so for every site I open.

At other times it blocks something and the pop up window does not contain enough info to let me know WTF it is to decide if its to stay blocked or now.

I feel AE is far better than before and I had a bag of crap with 2007 so much I dumped it till 2008 build and Vista support.

I hope these bugs can be fixed that's why I finally are posting them instead of being lazy.

Edited by bliss007

That would be wonderful. Having the popup tell me that "setup.exe" or "uninstall.exe" (without even a full pathname) is trying to change something makes the accept/reject choice pretty much a coin flip.

An "expand" button which would give the kind of info SE used to give (what's being changed, what it's being changed from, and what it's being changed to) would be greatly appreciated. -JW

JW,

I have sent this same request to Lavasoft, regarding the need for more detailed information within the Ad-Watch notices. I loved SE's Ad-Watch notice detail, i.e., "what's being changed, what it's being changed from, and what it's being changed to," as you stated. This information is incredibly important when one is trying to make an educated decision on whether to block a specific modification. Let's hope that Lavasoft responds to this much needed feature, which is essential for properly securing one's system(s).

--Voltron

JW,

I have sent this same request to Lavasoft, regarding the need for more detailed information within the Ad-Watch notices. I loved SE's Ad-Watch notice detail, i.e., "what's being changed, what it's being changed from, and what it's being changed to," as you stated. This information is incredibly important when one is trying to make an educated decision on whether to block a specific modification. Let's hope that Lavasoft responds to this much needed feature, which is essential for properly securing one's system(s).

--Voltron

A simpler program (Ad-Aware Anniversary Edition) with fewer options is not a good thing; it is a bad thing. If people would take the time to read the support information accompanying these programs they would find they are not so complicated.

Wayne

Sign in to follow this