Hi There,

Having tried to install another Virus Protection programme and failing miserably I had to contact their call centre.

It took them 2 hours to remove their software and so i am now left unprotected.

Ad-Aware appears to load and run correctly but I can't uninstall it.

If I try to uninstall Ad-Aware it shows this error message titled 'AE.exe - Unable to locate component' which tells me 'This application failed to start as mia.lib was not found'

A similar thing has happened to several other virus scanners I have installed.

Can anyone please help me??

Cheers,

mocco

Hi,

I think I have found the root cause of your problem.

By any chance have you had Kaspersky installed at some point? It seems that Kaspersky reports that this file is a vulnerability and it is likely that you have deleted it. (Reference) The file itself is a component of 7-Zip which is the program Lavasoft uses to compress the installer & uninstaller - as do a list of other programs.

I was able to locate the file on my hard drive, however I am not sure where it should be saved on your computer. So what I ask you to do is:

• Download the attached file - mia.zip
  • Unzip the file to your desktop, you should see mia.lib
  • Run a search using Windows Search (make sure you include non-indexed, hidden files and system files)
  • Find the file Ad-AwareAE.res
  • When you find this file (it may take a while) right click on the search result and click "open file location" - it should look like C:\ProgramData\{57DD40A1-7073-4F61-93AB-1996EC0088E0} or C:\Users\All Users\{57DD40A1-7073-4F61-93AB-1996EC0088E0}
  • Then move the mia.lib file from your desktop to the folder
  • Uninstall Ad-Aware

Let me know how you get on,

Casey

Edited by casey_boy

Hi Casey,

I did as you suggested but the file Ad-AwareAE.res could not be found on my computer.

You are dead right it was Kaspersky!!

What can I do now??

mocco

Edited by casey_boy
removed broken uneeded quote. Casey

OK how about instance.dat ? If you find multiple ones (I didn't, but just in case you do) make sure you're in the folder with Ad-Aware related files.

Make sure you do an advanced search which looks for non-indexed, hidden files and system files

Casey

Edited by casey_boy

NO! Couldn't find that either!!

mocco

OK how about instance.dat ? If you find multiple ones (I didn't, but just in case you do) make sure you're in the folder with Ad-Aware related files.

Make sure you do an advanced search which looks for non-indexed, hidden files and system files

Casey

Hi,

Please go to Start > My Computer

Go to Tools > Folder Options

Click on the View tab

Untick the following:

• Hide extensions for known file types
  • Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)

You will get a message warning you about showing protected operating system files, click Yes

Make sure this option is selected:

• Show hidden files and folders

Click Apply and then click OK

Then navigate to C:\Users\All Users where you should see (a) folder(s) named something similar to {57DD40A1-7073-4F61-93AB-1996EC0088E0} open the folder and hopefully you'll see some Ad-Aware related files. N.B. If you have multiple folders like this have a look through all of them until you find the one with the Ad-Aware files in.

In the folder which has the Ad-Aware related files, copy the mia.lib file into it - and voila, hopefully, you should be good to go.

Casey

Wouldn't it be easier to just over-install Ad-Aware, then uninstall it? Wouldn't the Install replace the missing file(s)?

Edited by Beckfield

Unfortunately, that wouldn't work, the installer would recognise the already installed version and try to uninstall it - which it wouldn't be able to.

Hi,

I think I have found the root cause of your problem.

By any chance have you had Kaspersky installed at some point? It seems that Kaspersky reports that this file is a vulnerability and it is likely that you have deleted it. (Reference) The file itself is a component of 7-Zip which is the program Lavasoft uses to compress the installer & uninstaller - as do a list of other programs.

I was able to locate the file on my hard drive, however I am not sure where it should be saved on your computer. So what I ask you to do is:

• Download the attached file - mia.zip
  • Unzip the file to your desktop, you should see mia.lib
  • Run a search using Windows Search (make sure you include non-indexed, hidden files and system files)
  • Find the file Ad-AwareAE.res
  • When you find this file (it may take a while) right click on the search result and click "open file location" - it should look like C:\ProgramData\{57DD40A1-7073-4F61-93AB-1996EC0088E0} or C:\Users\All Users\{57DD40A1-7073-4F61-93AB-1996EC0088E0}
  • Then move the mia.lib file from your desktop to the folder
  • Uninstall Ad-Aware

Let me know how you get on,

Casey

As Casey stated, Kaspersky scan reports mia.lib version 4.44.3.0 as being:

snip------------------

Moderately Critical

The vulnerability is reported in versions prior to version 4.5.7

unsnip---------------

What Lavasoft need to do is replace 4.44.3.0 with a version of 4.5.7 or higher

According to the response I got tonight, they are not able to do that (and didn't indicate when the updated version would be available)

where XXXXX is in place of the name of Lavasoft support person removed by me

snip------------------------

Thank you for your email.

We currently have no later version of mia.lib in the Ad-Aware installer package nor is there a stand-alone update that I can provide.

I apologize for the inconvenience.

Kind Regards

XXXXX - Lavasoft Support

unsnip---------------------

Please note that the version Casey has provided is 4.44.3.0 so it will not resolve the virus vulnerabilty for the exisiting file but will allow the uninstaller to work

I am trying to obtain version 4.5.7 or higher from the 7-Zip site (http://www.7-zip.org/)

Rgds,

Terry

Please note that the version Casey has provided is 4.44.3.0 so it will not resolve the virus vulnerabilty for the exisiting file but will allow the uninstaller to work

Yup, that's the best I can do at the moment. Just make sure you add the file to your ignore lists.

Edited by casey_boy

Not sure why but on my scan this week Kaspersky no longer flags mia.lib 4.44.30 as being a vulnerability - the file is still there and I did not add it to my ignore list

Kaspersky support response as to my question as why it is no longer "detected" was to tell me how to carry out scanning - I have reworded my question

I have not been able to source a copy of 4.5.7 or higher either

Rgds,

Terry

Update: Kaspersky has removed mia.lib from their detection database.

Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help :)

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact the staff member who was helping you with your issue.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.

Thank you !