Sign in to follow this  
gok

ad aware ae free edition

have win xp sp3 cannot complete scan if I use smart scan. scan will freeze on documents and settings nero backupschedule3.log. has also froze on other file in documents and settings folder. Can scan okay if use profile scan without critical area scan. Have uninstalled and reinstalled several times with no improvement. Any ideas?? Ad-aware 2008 still works okay.

ad aware ae free edition, cannot scan critical areas.

Ad-aware 2008 still works okay.

You have both versions installed? That may be the problem - installing AE is supposed to uninstall prior versions.

To prevent problems, do a clean uninstall first. You can do this yourself if you're experienced with finding/deleting folders, files, and registry entries; or you can use programs like these useful free tools. Revo Uninstaller on the highest setting will remove all traces of Lavasoft/Ad-Aware before you reinstall.

You have both versions installed? That may be the problem - installing AE is supposed to uninstall prior versions.

To prevent problems, do a clean uninstall first. You can do this yourself if you're experienced with finding/deleting folders, files, and registry entries; or you can use programs like these useful free tools. Revo Uninstaller on the highest setting will remove all traces of Lavasoft/Ad-Aware before you reinstall.

No I do not have both versions installed. I uninstalled the 2008 version and installed new ad aware ann edition by itself. Then when it failed to make a complete scan I uninstalled new 2009 version and reinstalled old 2008. It works like it is supposed to.

Have been suspicious that the register has something hung but have not tried the cleaners you suggest . I will try the Revo Uninstaller. Hope it works.

ad aware ann edition smart scan will not run. I use win xp with ZA security suite. Have tried turning off ZA but still will not run on smart scan. The ann edition has never ran since it first was available. I have removed and reinstalled but still will not run past about 21xx files. It will run if I use profile scan and do not test the critical files. Any help is appreciated

gok

At this point, I'd wait a week for the new version of Ad-Aware to be released Oct 13. Until then, do a clean uninstall as described above. Before you install the new version, stop all other applications.