Sign in to follow this  
krus54

Q: Conflicts with Other Software?

Hi,

I'm considering upgrading from the free version of Ad-Aware to the AE version, but I wanted to know if anyone has found conflicts with this software and existing virus protection software such as Kaspersky AV (on one PC) or AntiVirus or Trend Micro AntiVirus (on 2 other PCs)?

On one of my PC's I installed Trend Micro AV and during installation I had to remove Ad-Aware before Trend Micro would complete installation.

Thanks

Dave

Edited by davesch

Good question davesch. I'm asking the same question about conflicts; but if anybody has had issues with Ad-Aware running along with Symantec Antivirus Corporate Edition (version 10.1.x)??

Thanks,

Tom.

There have been problems with Symantec Endpoint, but not sure if there would be similar problems with Corp Ed.

Hi,

I'm considering upgrading from the free version of Ad-Aware to the AE version, but I wanted to know if anyone has found conflicts with this software and existing virus protection software such as Kaspersky AV (on one PC) or AntiVirus or Trend Micro AntiVirus (on 2 other PCs)?

On one of my PC's I installed Trend Micro AV and during installation I had to remove Ad-Aware before Trend Micro would complete installation.

Thanks

Dave

AdAware Plus Aniversary Edition with AdWatch enabled does conflict with Norton 2009, but you will never know it without looking in the history file for NIS 2009, because no outward error messages will pop up. Because this paid version of AdAware has anti-virus properties, I suspect that is why. No two anti-virus real time protection mechanisms can exist at the same time.

I have been using free and paid versions with AdWatch enabled with Avast and NOD32 with no outward errors reported there either. Everything seems to work fine, but it is always a good idea to check the built-in event monitor in your particular Windows system to see if any system errors are happening and what file(s) are causing them.

I've been testing MBAM real time protection with NIS 2009 and have discovered no conflicts at all. However AdAware is too valuable as a scanner program and now I use the AdWatch with the real time registry protection enabled only. This makes it a good replacement for the now obsolete Spybot Search & Destroy Tea Timer.

I'm not letting any of my clients do without Lavasoft, and will do so into the near future! AdAware has improved so dramatically in the last year that I am suggesting to all clients that they drop the venerable safernetworking utility, and that it(SS&D) is now obsolete.

I currently have Norton Internet Security 2009, MBAM with protection enabled, Spybot search and destroy (teatimer turned off), as well as Ad-aware AE, the free version. At the moment I have the one feature of ADwatch live available in the free version turned off because I was worried about conflicts with the other two residents programs. Does anyone know if adwatch live in the free version would conflict with any of these? Or is it just a problem with the full paid version of Ad-aware?

Thanks.

AdAware Plus Aniversary Edition with AdWatch enabled does conflict with Norton 2009, but you will never know it without looking in the history file for NIS 2009, because no outward error messages will pop up. Because this paid version of AdAware has anti-virus properties, I suspect that is why. No two anti-virus real time protection mechanisms can exist at the same time.

I have been using free and paid versions with AdWatch enabled with Avast and NOD32 with no outward errors reported there either. Everything seems to work fine, but it is always a good idea to check the built-in event monitor in your particular Windows system to see if any system errors are happening and what file(s) are causing them.

I've been testing MBAM real time protection with NIS 2009 and have discovered no conflicts at all. However AdAware is too valuable as a scanner program and now I use the AdWatch with the real time registry protection enabled only. This makes it a good replacement for the now obsolete Spybot Search & Destroy Tea Timer.

I'm not letting any of my clients do without Lavasoft, and will do so into the near future! AdAware has improved so dramatically in the last year that I am suggesting to all clients that they drop the venerable safernetworking utility, and that it(SS&D) is now obsolete.

I currently have Norton Internet Security 2009, MBAM with protection enabled, Spybot search and destroy (teatimer turned off), as well as Ad-aware AE, the free version. At the moment I have the one feature of ADwatch live available in the free version turned off because I was worried about conflicts with the other two residents programs. Does anyone know if adwatch live in the free version would conflict with any of these? Or is it just a problem with the full paid version of Ad-aware?

Thanks.

I think you have the right idea - you should run only 1 real-time security program to avoid conflicts. There seems to be recent problems with both Norton 360 and Norton IS vs. Ad-aware:

http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?showtopic=26761

Spybot has a conflict warning when you launch the program, but I never encountered any error messages. After I turned off all but 1 real-time protection, I noticed my system became much more responsive.

Edited by visitor

I think you have the right idea - you should run only 1 real-time security program to avoid conflicts. There seems to be recent problems with both Norton 360 and Norton IS vs. Ad-aware:

This is true. All the AV programs I've used, including Zone Alarm, Trend Micro, McAffee and Norton, each required the exclusion of any other.

However, in the case that is being currently discussed in these forums, that issue seems to be irrelevant, since all the users who have reported having a problem here with Ad-Aware did NOT add a new AV or similar program. Actually, all seems to have happened at the time they have last updated their object definitions in Ad-Aware, on or around August 20/22. I do not recall anyone mentioning the addition or subtraction of any piece of AV software.

It looks important to me that we keep this issue as clear and simple as possible, in hopes that Lavasoft will soon be able to find the root of the problem and solve it.

It would also be great if anyone from Lavasoft itself could just leave a few words here for the purpose of acknowledging the issue and providing a time frame for a possible solution.

And finally, before finishing, I would still add that I'm aware that all this may well turn out as too much of a wishful thinking for the users of a free piece of software, even if it brings us all an outstanding value, as it is definitely the case with me...

But we'll keep the faith.

I have actually noticed that in the last week or so Ad-aware has hung during scans (I have the same problem with MBAM, it hangs if I try to run a full scan because of NIS 2009) and hopefully it will get fixed, but my question is regarding ad-watch live. I am only able to use the one feature available in the free version (the processes feature), and at the moment I have it turned off in case it conflicts with any other real time programs I have running (NIS or MBAM). Does anyone know of any conflicts between ad-wach live and the resident protection in those two programs, or is it safe to leave ad-watch live running all the time without them interfering (or vice versa)?

Thanks for the answers so far.

This is true. All the AV programs I've used, including Zone Alarm, Trend Micro, McAffee and Norton, each required the exclusion of any other.

However, in the case that is being currently discussed in these forums, that issue seems to be irrelevant, since all the users who have reported having a problem here with Ad-Aware did NOT add a new AV or similar program. Actually, all seems to have happened at the time they have last updated their object definitions in Ad-Aware, on or around August 20/22. I do not recall anyone mentioning the addition or subtraction of any piece of AV software.

It looks important to me that we keep this issue as clear and simple as possible, in hopes that Lavasoft will soon be able to find the root of the problem and solve it.

It would also be great if anyone from Lavasoft itself could just leave a few words here for the purpose of acknowledging the issue and providing a time frame for a possible solution.

And finally, before finishing, I would still add that I'm aware that all this may well turn out as too much of a wishful thinking for the users of a free piece of software, even if it brings us all an outstanding value, as it is definitely the case with me...

But we'll keep the faith.

kayesbe - if you experience this with MBAM also then it's likely to be a problem with Norton, not AAW (or MBAM in MBAMs case).

In response to your question - if you're already running realtime protection you should keep Ad-Watch Live! turned off.

I only mentioned that problem with the hanging in response to what other people had written. NIS 2009 is definately the problem. I had an older version of NIS when I first installed MBAM and it worked fine, a while back when I updated windows, it updated to the latest version of IE, and Norton started conflicting, so, to fix it I got a free upgrade to NIS 2009, that was when MBAM started hanging. So I don't doubt that is the same problem with ad-aware. Norton obviously doesn't play well with other B)

Thanks for the help with ad-watch. I'll leave it off.

kayesbe - if you experience this with MBAM also then it's likely to be a problem with Norton, not AAW (or MBAM in MBAMs case).

In response to your question - if you're already running realtime protection you should keep Ad-Watch Live! turned off.

http://lavasoft.com/mylavasoft/support/blo...are-scan-freeze

Ad-Aware Scan Freeze

by John on September 17th, 2009.

The scan freeze issue you are experiencing could be caused by a recent update to Norton, we are currently working with Norton to resolve this issue.

Until this is resolved, please try the following before scanning with Ad-Aware:

Go into Settings in Norton and turn off the Norton Product Tamper Protection.

Ad-Aware should now be able to complete the scan.

Sign in to follow this