Sign in to follow this  
dwang0725

"This application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling the application may fix the problem."

Did you follow instructions in my previous post to bring My Computer -icon to the desktop? It sounds that you created shortcut only.

I did it again (the right way) but I still don't have a system restore tab. Now the tab are: general, computer name, hardware, advanced, and automatic updates. That's it. No system restore tab.

Click start->run->write regedit and click ok.

Registry editor will open. Click File->Export->select Selected branch as export range and copy paste HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\SystemRestore in the textbox. In file name textbox write "c:\registryexport.txt" and set save as type to All Files.

See if c:\registryexport.txt file exists after that operation.

Sorry, forgot to ask you to post the c:\registryexport.txt file :)

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\SystemRestore]

"DisableSR"=dword:00000000

"CreateFirstRunRp"=dword:00000001

Hi,

Do similar registry export for this key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microso­ft\Windows NT\SystemRestore

When I do that, I get: "the selected branch does not exist. Make sure that the correct path is given." Going through the registry editor and following the file path that you gave, once I get to windows NT, there is no sub file SystemRestore.

Go to C:\WINDOWS\inf folder and see if sr.inf file exists. If it does, right click it and select install. Then see if the tab is still missing.

I found the sr.inf file and when I went to install it, it said that sr.sy_ file was missing. I then loaded it from the i386 folder on my XP disc and it installed properly. I did the system restore and everything else as instructed. System seems to be running fine.

One other note. It seems as if my XP isn't running properly (missing files, etc). Do you think I should do a reinstall? Will that help? Will the files gets restored?

Dave

Edited by dwang0725

If the missing files are Windows related then repair installation should work.

Due to lack of feedback, this topic has been closed.

If you need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member. This applies only to the original topic starter.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.

Thank You !