Sign in to follow this  
fisherka

Ad-Aware AE Edition freezes during scan

Visitor Are you sure the procedure on your link is for NIS 2009? I think the steps you indicated via your posted link refers to some prior year's NIS.

No, I don't have Norton so could not confirm - the page I posted did not specify which version of NIS, but I wanted to post it so the Norton users could try it. Thanks for finding the right link :)

So, should we consider the issue constrained to NORTON/AD-AWARE/VISTA? Please comment.

By reading these posts, it seems that way to me - although not everyone who has posted has mentioned their OS.

No, I don't have Norton so could not confirm - the page I posted did not specify which version of NIS, but I wanted to post it so the Norton users could try it.

I figured that. But rest assured that your helpful attitude, with this as with other issues, is highly appreciated, and I'm sure I'm not alone on this opinion.

Hi Blueskys,

Happy that I could be of any small help. No thanks are necessary...

My regards to both of you

LinYu

Edited by Lin Yu

I am also having same problem with Anniversary edition. I have no problem downloading updates, but scan crashes/freezes and will not permit "stop scan" . Only option is to force exit. System is Windows XP Pro SP2 with current updates, ZoneAlarm, and AVG antivirus. Crash/freeze is always when reaching file C:\....\q8\emc\log\emclog which is AVG log file. I have tried disabling AVG, but get same crash whether online or offline with nothing else running.

Suggestions appreciated.

I am also having same problem with Anniversary edition. I have no problem downloading updates, but scan crashes/freezes and will not permit "stop scan" . Only option is to force exit. System is Windows XP Pro SP2 with current updates, ZoneAlarm, and AVG antivirus. Crash/freeze is always when reaching file C:\....\q8\emc\log\emclog which is AVG log file. I have tried disabling AVG, but get same crash whether online or offline with nothing else running.

Suggestions appreciated.

Your problem seems to be different than the others involving Vista/Norton. I suggest 2 things:

1. make a desktop shortcut to the folder containing emc.log so you can access it again

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\avg8\emc\Log

then move emc.log to another location and see if Ad-aware stalls on the new location. Afterwards, you can move the file back to the old location.

2. AVG is not disabled if you merely right-click the tray icon and exit. To properly disable, you must open the GUI and individually disable email scanner, link scanner, resident shield, and update manager. Do this by double-clicking each in the Overview, then unchecking all the Settings boxes. You can try this, but I don't think it's AVG. I used to run scans OK with it on, and I have XP SP2 also.

well now i tried scanning again after dlding the newest launcher (sept.1) but my ad-aware still freezes up so i guess they still havent fixed it, i also have Norton internet Security 2009 btw.

If you haven't seen it, there's a similar thread:

http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?showtopic=26761

The problem has been brought to Lavasoft's attention and they may need to sort this out with Norton. They recently sorted out a conflict with Kaspersky, so keep your fingers crossed :)

well it might have been brought to there attention, but the problem still excists today even though its the 10th of september

seriously lavasoft should get this fixed with norton soon, i havent been able to run a scan since the 20th of august, and my computer is getting slower by the day, even deleting my internet history doesnt really work, so im getting a bit worried wether or not ive been spy/mal/ad - ware infected :-/

Here th same problem. AdAware, NIS2008(updated to 2009), Vista Home Premium SP2.

Scan freezes at 6 seconds, popup with the question to sent the problemreport to Lavasoft and closes itself.

Done all the things that were said before, same result.

Waiting for an answer and not using AE is the only thing to do for the moment.

:)

Here th same problem. AdAware, NIS2008(updated to 2009), Vista Home Premium SP2. Scan freezes. Done all the things that were said before, same result.

So turning off Norton's tamper-protection did not work for you? I see you also posted in the HijackThis forum, so you must suspect you're infected with malware - many prevent security programs from working.

Update:

http://lavasoft.com/mylavasoft/support/blo...are-scan-freeze

Ad-Aware Scan Freeze

by John on September 17th, 2009.

The scan freeze issue you are experiencing could be caused by a recent update to Norton, we are currently working with Norton to resolve this issue.

Until this is resolved, please try the following before scanning with Ad-Aware:

Go into Settings in Norton and turn off the Norton Product Tamper Protection.

Ad-Aware should now be able to complete the scan.

Edited by visitor

I still have the problem with Adaware and Norton Internet Secuirty 2009. Ad-aware will run the scan as long as I go in and turn the Tamper Protection off. Does anyone know when they are going to get this problem resolved? I thought by now Norton would have done something to fix the problem. Thanks.

Does anyone know when they are going to get this problem resolved? I thought by now Norton would have done something to fix the problem.

No word yet, but somebody else here recently contacted Norton customer service and got the runaround as if they had never heard of the problem. The other option would be for Lavasoft to somehow program Ad-Aware to ingore Norton's Tamper Protection, but when this problem arose, beta testing on the new version was virtually complete since that was the around the original target release date. Ad-Aware 2010 will be out on Oct 13, so we'll know soon enough if the problem persists. Maybe Norton was waiting for the new version so they wouldn't have to fix it again.

Ad-Aware had worked well for me for years, but today the scan always froze in the "3,000's".

Having read all the posts, I disabled the 'Tamper Protection' in Norton 360, closed Ad-Aware, quit Ad-aware Live from the system tray, and then re-opened the program.

The scan ran perfectly!

Thank you to all who left advice above.

I have been reading all of the posts going back to August. Everyone seems to be indicating a conflict between Norton IS 2009 and AdAware. Are the developers of AdAware working on a fix for the program? Have they been in touch with the Norton techies? Unless this is fixed, AdAware will become essentially useless, which would be a shame, because I really like the product. Does anyone have any tangible, verifiable information on what, if anything, is going on?

Are the developers of AdAware working on a fix for the program? Have they been in touch with the Norton techies? Does anyone have any tangible, verifiable information on what, if anything, is going on?

Ad-Aware Scan Freeze

we are currently working with Norton to resolve this issue.

I've had the same problem. I uninstalled, re-installed and tried the 2008 edition. All just frozen. Does the program leave any files behind after uninstallation that could be corrupting previous editions. Pleeeease help.

I've had the same problem. I uninstalled, re-installed and tried the 2008 edition. All just frozen. Does the program leave any files behind after uninstallation that could be corrupting previous editions. Pleeeease help.

Possibly, you should try uninstalling with Revo on its highest setting.

I downloaded the newest Ad-Aware 2010. And guess what, it still is freezing up. :) So I will continue to go into Norton and turn off the Tamper Protection. I was hoping that the newest version of Ad-Aware would correct the problem. Has anyone tried contacting Norton to see what they have to say about it?

Possibly, you should try uninstalling with Revo on its highest setting.

I have been an enthusiastic user of Lavasoft's Ad-Aware free version software for many years and have recommended it to a lot of my friends. Never had a problem.

But with this recent conflict between Ad-Aware that started with the AE edition, which remains in the 2010 edition, I start to get a sad feeling like I'll have to part with an old good friend...

Somebody (may have been Visitor or Casey, I'm not sure) has provided an explanation to someone who asked about the fact that, in recent months, Ad-Aware seems to report, almost every time, "Scan was completed successfully. No malicious objects were detected". And the explanation was along the line that there was no need to be concerned, this would be due to some kind of new method or approach to the detection process on the part of Lavasoft's.

It still may very well be. But I just encountered a situation that I find a little hard to understand: In two different computers, running on two different operating systems, this issue took place:

Lavasoft reports a successful scan, with no malicious objects encountered; and NIS 2010 reports a complete scan, with seven (7) "items that require attention" on one computer, and three (3) "items that require attention" on the other.

To be sure, they were all "tracking cookies" and they likely have different degrees of privacy invasion. But still, I would like to be notified by Ad-Aware that they were there... And then I would decide whatever to do with them. On the contrary, giving me a false sense of "cleanliness" seems to me like, at least, a little less than acceptable.

As I stated above, if it weren't for this recent annoyance of having to disable the Norton Product Temper Protection, in Windows Vista, in order to get a successful scan with Ad-Aware, these other small annoyances could more easily be tolerated, one of the reasons being, it's free...

Everything considered, I think I made up my mind. I am going to disable or even completely uninstall Ad-Aware.

And here is where I need and kindly ask if someone could please show me exactly how to just "turn off" or "disable" this application. Or, in the alternative, how to cleanly uninstall it. In fact, I have experienced serious problems in the past, whenever I tried to uninstall the Ad-Aware software. To witness, on two occasions I had to finally resort to a full and complete restoration of a previous system backup which, of course, only resolved the problems created by my attempts at getting rid of Ad-Aware, but was no help on actually getting rid of it...

Many thanks in advance for any help anyone could provide on this regard. It will be greatly appreciated.

P.S. -- Does anyone know whether this "Revo" application is relatively simple and safe to use by the average user? Anything in particular to be aware of in advance?

Thanks again!

Edited by casey_boy
Mod. Edit. Removed large blank space. Casey

Hi,

Lavasoft reports a successful scan, with no malicious objects encountered; and NIS 2010 reports a complete scan, with seven (7) "items that require attention" on one computer, and three (3) "items that require attention" on the other.

To be sure, they were all "tracking cookies" and they likely have different degrees of privacy invasion. But still, I would like to be notified by Ad-Aware that they were there... And then I would decide whatever to do with them. On the contrary, giving me a false sense of "cleanliness" seems to me like, at least, a little less than acceptable.

This is probably because Ad-Aware will only report threats that are TAI 3 or higher. I'm guessing that Norton will report anything which it gives it's equivalent of TAI 1. Now, tracking cookies are given TAI 3 by default in Ad-Aware, so either Ad-Aware belived they weren't tracking cookies or it didn't detect the cookies (maybe they were on your system after the scan or what browser do you use?).

As I stated above, if it weren't for this recent annoyance of having to disable the Norton Product Temper Protection, in Windows Vista, in order to get a successful scan with Ad-Aware, these other small annoyances could more easily be tolerated, one of the reasons being, it's free...

Unfortunately, whilst this problem affectes Ad-Aware - it's not Lavasoft's problem as such so they can't fix it. They're relying on a competitor to fix the problem (see why this might take a while? lol). It does also affect other programs too.

And here is where I need and kindly ask if someone could please show me exactly how to just "turn off" or "disable" this application. Or, in the alternative, how to cleanly uninstall it.

You can completely disable Ad-Aware by right clicking the tray icon and then clicking Exit. If you want to perform a clean uninstall then I do recommend Revo - it's very good at deleting left over files and registry entries.

P.S. -- Does anyone know whether this "Revo" application is relatively simple and safe to use by the average user? Anything in particular to be aware of in advance?

Yes, it is :) we recommend it a lot here in the forums and everyone seems to get on well with it. You just click the program you want to unistall, then hit uninstall choose the level of thoroughness (I recommend highest) and just delete the left overs.

I hope that helps,

Casey

Edited by casey_boy

Thanks for the help I disabled the Norton Tamper Protection and everthing is OK now.

I will continue monitoring this thread to know when Ad-Aware will have solved the problem.