Sign in to follow this  
crytter

Ad-Aware AE crashing to desktop

I have recently installed Ad-Aware AE as I believe I have a malware infection.

Every time I try to scan my computer it runs for a few seconds then just crashes to the desktop.

The program simply vanishes, no warning, no error message, no nothing!

I run Windows XP and Avast Antivirus, and have tried disabling this to no effect. I have also tried booting into safe mode and running a scan, also with the same result.

I don't know what else to do, please help!!!

Read the instructions in my signature about posting a log in the HijackThis forum. Copy/paste or link to this thread to describe the problem, and somebody there can help you with malware removal.

I have recently installed Ad-Aware AE as I believe I have a malware infection.

Every time I try to scan my computer it runs for a few seconds then just crashes to the desktop.

The program simply vanishes, no warning, no error message, no nothing!

I run Windows XP and Avast Antivirus, and have tried disabling this to no effect. I have also tried booting into safe mode and running a scan, also with the same result.

I don't know what else to do, please help!!!

I cant help you but the same thing happens to me..It will scan for a few seconds and then it just stops. I have tried everything I know to fix this problem but nothing is working.

Similar problem: after doing an anniv edition update last night, I now get the blue screen of death (BSOD) and can't even get into safe mode. (running XP)

Not good.

Edited by LorneK

Read the instructions in my signature about posting a log in the HijackThis forum. Copy/paste or link to this thread to describe the problem, and somebody there can help you with malware removal.

Thanks, this has been done.

cithrah, warz2013, LorneK:

Is this happening with the just released version 8.0.8 or with the older 8.0.7?

Don't know and can't find out - still stuck on BSOD.

Happened approx 7:30 pm PST yesterday, as part of a web update getting the latest definitions file for AE.

Don't know and can't find out - still stuck on BSOD.

Happened approx 7:30 pm PST yesterday, as part of a web update getting the latest definitions file for AE.

Got out of the BSOD.

Then got a disk read error.

Called Dell support - there's a new HDD on it's way to me as part of warranty service.

While my problem started the instant a definitions update started, it may have been coincidental with the HDD deciding to pack it in at the exact same time.

Thanks,

Lorne.

*****UPDATE******

I have found that I can scan items by right-clicking and selecting 'Scan with Ad-Aware' from the context menu. This works without any problems, and I have been able to remove some things. However, the infection remains :)

A scan started from within Ad-Aware itself seems to exit when it's scanning the processes running. It simply scans them for a few seconds then vanishes! Weird........

I have found that I can scan items by right-clicking and selecting 'Scan with Ad-Aware' from the context menu. A scan started from within Ad-Aware itself seems to exit when it's scanning the processes running.

Context menu scans only the file or folder chosen, whereas the Smart and Full scan important areas such as running processes.

Context menu scans only the file or folder chosen, whereas the Smart and Full scan important areas such as running processes.

I realise this, I was simply adding the information that I could scan my computer after a fashion. It would appear that I'm not the only person with this problem and I'd like to find a solution to it, as the limited scan that I can do is not sufficent to remove the malware infection. As yet, i'm still waiting for help on my post of my HJT log as well :-(

*****UPDATE*****

After getting some help from Blade81 over in the HJT section, it turns out it was the malware infection that was preventing Ad-Aware from running properly.

The issue has now been resolved, and Ad-Aware AE runs fine!

Once again, many thanks to Blade81 for his time and help! :)

Details of how the probelm was resolved can be found in this topic.