Sign in to follow this  
bobeh

failed to connect to service

Start - Run - services.msc

Find Lavasoft Ad-Aware Service and right-click "Properties."

I did not get anything close to the 4 pages you posted when I right clicked on properties.

It indicated 'service stopped'.

I did click on 'restart' and got the following message. "Could not start the Lavasoft Ad-Aware service on local computer. Error 3: The system cannot find the path specified".

Below was an area where I could enter. It was labeled 'You can specify the parameters that apply when you start the service from here'.

Edited by bobeh

I did not get anything close to the 4 pages you posted when I right clicked on properties.

It indicated 'service stopped'.

Below was an area where I could enter. It was labeled 'You can specify the parameters that apply when you start the service from here'.

This sounds like a description of my 1st screenshot (the "General" tab of properties). When you right-click properties, there are 4 tabs on top - General, Log On, Recovery, Dependencies. I made a screeshot for each tab. You have to click on each tab, they don't open automatically.

I did click on 'restart' and got the following message. "Could not start the Lavasoft Ad-Aware service on local computer. Error 3: The system cannot find the path specified".

When you right-click properties, there should also be a field which says

Path to executable:

C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware\AAWService.exe

Note: this is if you installed Ad-Aware to the default drive and did not customize installation to a different location.

Using Windows Explorer, see if you can find the Lavasoft folder and AAWService.exe file. The pathway specified in the service properties should be the same; otherwise, the system is looking for the file in the wrong location.

You may need to manually create create the service:

http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?showtopic=26559

Edited by visitor

I have spent too many hours trying to get Ad-Aware to work. I think I need to look for a new program. Life with a computer is sometimes too complicated.

Thanks for trying.

Life with a computer is sometimes too complicated.

Sometimes this is true! :)

Sorry I couldn't be of more help. I'll close this thread, but if you need to post again, send me a PM with the link.