Sign in to follow this  
Spurred_On

Lost notification tray icon

I recently installed a program which has somehow caused several of the icons in the notification try to no longer load on Windows boot, although the programs load. One of these effected programs is Ad-Aware. Curriously, the Ad-Watch icon does load into the notification tray, perhaps because it is the last program to load when Windows boots.

Ad-Aware is shown as a running program if I scroll through the Task Manager Processes, and if I open Ad-Aware it runs normally and scans normally.

I unistalled the program that caused the tray icons to disappear.

In an attempt to get the Ad-Aware icon to load into the notification tray, I uninstalled and reinstalled Ad-Aware 2008. No change. I have also tried removing the IconStreams and PastIconsStream keys from HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\TrayNotify in my registry, but that did not force the missing icons to load into the tray, either.

I like the icon being in the tray. It lets me know the program is loaded and running, and it makes it easy to use Ad-Aware. Is there any way to get the icon to load into the tray again? I am using Windows XP, SP 2.

Does one of the icons which does load take a while to load?

You may know this, but in Windows there is a certain amount of time given for the tray apps to load and if they don't load within this time then their icons wont be shown. If one app takes a while, then the others get logged up behind it.

Casey

Sorry it took me so long to reply Casey. Although I had notify me by e-mail selected, I didn't see any notification arive.

One tray program does take a while to load — a very long time — and that is Ad-Watch 2008. It loads well after everything else. However, I am inclined to believe that something happened when I installed BitDefender 2008, as many other problems were created with that installation. I had both BitDefender 2009 and Ad-Aware Pro 2007 installed previously, and both worked without incident. I upgraded both programs. Trying to resolve the problem, I unistalled both BitDefender 2010 and Ad-Aware Pro 2008. That did not bring back the tray icons, and with Ad-Aware uninstalled, the slowness of Ad-Watch to load was eliminated as a potential cause.

The Ad-Watch icon does load. The Ad-Aware icon does not. The program itself loads at Windows boot-up and runs as it should. Only the tray icon does not load.

The BitDefender installation tries to uninstall any other antivirus or malware programs on the system. I had talked with BitDefender support before installing, and they sited me to a link to download a program that would completely uninstall my old version of BitDefender. I was told to then choose the option when installing the new BitDefender to install without uninstalling anything. Since I uninstalled both BitDefender and Ad-Aware trying to fix my problems and then reinstalled Ad-Aware without reinstalling BitDefender, the Ad-Aware program was a clean install. BitDefender must have changed some setting with Windows itself. Is there some registry key that got whacked by the BitDefender installation that I need to edit or add back?

Tony

Well I've been doing a bit of research and there are a couple of things you could try.

Firstly, I would look at this: http://www.pctools.com/guides/registry/detail/1238/

It gives you details on how to clear the current and past tray icons.

Then if this is not working, there seems to be a lot of sites suggesting that Simple Service Discovery Protocol (SSDP) in Windows XP is responsible. Here is a site with some workarounds: http://www.tech-pro.net/howto_013.html

Hopefully something might work!

Casey

Thanks for your suggestions Casey. So far, trying other methods, I've gotten every icon back except the icon for Ad-Aware Pro 2008. The icon for Ad-Watch loads in the tray, but before I continue working on this problem, I wanted to make sure that the Ad-Aware icon is supposed to be in the tray. (I seem to remember it being there, but now I am unsure.)

Tony

I can't quite remember with the 2008 version, but I know with the newer versions that Ad-Aware and Ad-Watch share the same icon. It's probably the same with 2008.

Casey

In Pro 2008 the icon in the tray is the Ad-Watch red shield with yellow bug on it, and it only opens the Ad-Watch part of the program, the same as opens in a new window when you click on Ad-Watch in the Ad-Aware window. I know this is a problem caused by the BitDefender installation, but I was hoping there would be a simple Registry hack that would restore the icon to load with XP stratup — some value that the BitDefender installation changed or deleted.

Tony

Have you checked in msconfig to see if Ad-Aware is set to load on start-up?

I've tried researching for you but seem to have hit the same brick wall as you really. The only thing I can suggest is an unistall with Revo, on its highest setting, since this will remove all registry entries relating to Ad-Aware. Then reinstall and Ad-Aware should set up its defaults again.

Casey

P.S. Have you considered upgrading to AE - or the new version due for release tomorrow?

Have you considered upgrading to AE - or the new version due for release tomorrow?

That's interesting. I tried installing Ad-Aware Anniversary Edition previously, but could not find the little blue hot-spot to click for a custom installation, so I reinstalled Ad-Aware 2008. I would be very interested in installing the new release of Ad-Aware, if I can download it and install it to the folder and partition that I want it installed to.

I can suggest [to] unistall with Revo, on its highest setting . . .

I'm not sure what Revo is, but I would be willing to uninstall with it prior to installing the new release.

Tony

Revo is a very good uninstaller program which can remove a lot of the junk left behind by program's uninstallers - even Lavasoft recommend using it sometimes.

Yeah it's available today - when you click to accept the agreement watch for the blue link again and then you can customize your installation.

Casey

Thanks again Casey.

I've downloaded Revo and am ready to try it out, but I am confused about how to download the new version of Ad-Aware. There are now two free versions; the normal and the Plus versions. If I download either of these versions, can I simply copy in my present 2008 Pro registration key to unlock the Pro version, or do I have to download a specific Pro version?

Tony