Sign in to follow this  
Spurred_On

Trusted list modification in Ad-Watch?

When I used Ad-Watch in Ad-Aware 2007, I was able to click a button for "always allow this action" (or some such similar wording) when the window would pop up asking me if I wanted to allow or deny an action. However, that option does not seem to be available in the 2008 version. Is there anyway to modify the "trusted list" to include programs? With Ad-Watch active, now I have to go through two or more extra steps every time I try to perform an action with many of my most often used programs. This becomes a nuisance. I do not want to shut down Ad-Watch, just tell it that the actions of specific programs is permitted.

Tony

I think I have resolved this issue. First, the "always allow this action" option was part of BitDefender's Registry monitor pop-up window, not Ad-Watch's (something that would be a good option to add into the Ad-Watch monitoring pop-up, though). Second, I have selected "Do not use notifications" in the General Settings tab, then selecting my default actions as "Allow". I'm not sure if that totally defeats the function of Ad-Watch, but it stopped the pop-ups.

Am I now vulnerable to attack because I have changed my default action is to allow?

Tony

Am I now vulnerable to attack because I have changed my default action is to allow?

Kind of. Any program which Ad-Aware knows is bad will still be blocked but anything else will be allowed. So if something is malicious but Ad-Aware doesn't know it, then it will still be allowed - whereas it may have raised your suspicions and you could have blocked it in the previous scenario.

To your original question though, I thought in 2008 (I haven't used it for a while) that once you made a decision it was logged and then you can change within Ad-Watch itself to always allow?

Oh and no worries about the double post :D I deleted it for you.

Casey

. . . once you made a decision it was logged and then you can change within Ad-Watch itself to always allow

It's not saving my choices. I can't find a log to access or modify via the program. Is there some file or key I can manually add my choices into, or some less invasive way I can tel Ad-Watch to save my choices?

Tony

I am struggling to remember the specifics with AAW2008 - with AE it is a lot easier to do this (and with the new version due out tomorrow, its even easier).

You could check the product help manual, if you haven't already done so?

Casey

How are you getting on with 8.1 - have you found it easier to modify the trusted list?

Shall we close this topic?

Yup. We can close it. The Ignore list in 8.1.0 is easily accessible, and the programs that were causing the pop-up warnings in 2008 Pro aren't causing warnings in 8.1.0.

Thanks for your help,

Tony