Sign in to follow this  
wayne3

Ad-Aware Anniversary Edition

I have been using Ad-Aware Free's Anniversary Edition since it became available.

However, when I tried to run it today, it froze after running for a few seconds and scanning just under 3000 objects each time I tried it . . . I tried it on the Smart and Full Scan options . . . the timing clock keeps running but nothing else on the Ad-Aware screen is accessible.

I uninstalled it and successfully reinstalled it . . . this is the only program that I am having trouble with.

My Operating System is Windows Vista Home Edition, 32 bit.

Help! :mellow:

H,

Do you have any other security software installed?

Casey

Hi Casey,

Yes . . . Norton SystemWorks Premier Edition 12.0 suite.

Wayne3

Edited by wayne3

I went into services and startup and disabled all Norton entries. Only then would Ad-Aware AE run without freezing after a few thousands objects had been scanned.

Also, I was unable to retry Ad-Aware AE without rebooting the computer when virtually any of the Norton system was running.

However, this was not a problem for the last several months prior to installing the latest AE update.

Having to go into services and startup to disable Norton before Ad-Aware AE will run is time consuming and annoying . . . anything less than a complete disabling of the Norton I have results in Ad-Aware AE freezing.

Any suggestions?

You don't need to disable Norton completely, you need to disable the program's anti-tamper function. This does not require you to disable services, rather just deselect the option within the program.

The incompatibility problem is only recent and has occured after a recent update to Norton. Lavasoft are working with Norton to try and resolve this issue.

Casey

OK, where do I find Norton's "anti-tamper" function in Norton SystemWorks Premier Edition 12.0 so that I can disable it?

Thanks.

Edited by wayne3

I'm not sure - I don't use it and we're not Norton volunteers. Try looking through the program settings or the help manual. If all else fails then contact the Norton support forums.

Sorry I can't help you more with that!

Casey

This is what I did and it now works again, Thanks!

Hi GeCj7,

How did you get to "Tamper Protection"?

What Norton are you using?

Hi GeCj7,

How did you get to "Tamper Protection"?

What Norton are you using?

1. Open Nortion Internet Security. (I just have the standerd Nortion, not 360)

2. Click on 'Settings'.

3. Click on 'Miscellaneous Settings'.

4. Click on 'Nortion Product Tamper Protection' to 'off'.

5. Click on 'Apply'.

6. Choose on how long you wont is to stay.

7. Done!

Sign in to follow this