Sign in to follow this  
helentaylor2007

Ad-aware stuck in loop

Hi everyone

Trying to sort my son's laptop out, and installed Ad-aware to try and scan. His laptop was going so slowly I thouht it may have malware. Anyhoo.... it has not frozen, or totally hung, but it is stuck in a loop in the windows/winsys folder.The timer is clocking but also the file names keep changing as if the program is still running.. otherwise I would think Norton problem as described. But not expert so it may well be same problem as norton issue

I also removed Norton from his system tyring to clean up and free space (he was not subscribed so it wasn't working properly). Adaware has been running for 6 hours now.

Cheers

Hi, a few questions:

Are you still stuck in the loop?

Has Ad-Aware detected anything yet?

Could you also post some computer specifications?

Casey

P.S. If you have removed Norton, then it can't be the same issue :)

Hi, a few questions:

Are you still stuck in the loop?

Yes we seem to be, but not sure it is loop as number of objects scanned is def increasing, but it has been running now 10 hours plus!

Has Ad-Aware detected anything yet?

Yes, two objects but no details yet

Could you also post some computer specifications?

Yes he's runnign a DELL Inspiron 6400, with Intel 1.73 GHz, and 1 GB Ram. He has 60GB memory partitioned (not sure why :) , ) and running with about 42 in one partition and 3 gb in the other. Vista Home Basic is the OS.

Casey

P.S. If you have removed Norton, then it can't be the same issue :D Yes, I thought that too, but there was a chance that I may not have removed it correctly, so was covering all bases!

He computer is incredibly slow, and I have also run SpyBot search and destroy in the interim, and CClean to clean the registry and defragged it! So now am a little puzzled and frustrated. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

He computer is incredibly slow, and I have also run SpyBot search and destroy in the interim, and CClean to clean the registry and defragged it! So now am a little puzzled and frustrated. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

And if it helps, have just checked and it has been scannin the windows/winsxs file (sorry got that wrong before), for about 8 of the hours it has been running!

Ok, could you stop the scan and see what has been detected?

Casey

Hi Casey Boy.

To update you. It finished the scan... only took 13 hours!), it had found some 'particularly malicious' malware - adaware's words not mine. I did save the log file for you but now son has taken laptop back to college, I will ask him to mail it me if you think it is of interest/use. However, I think that it was the speed of my son's laptop, just causing adaware to run really really slowly! now that the laptop is disinfected, and cleaned of extraneous files it si working much quicker. I will keep an eye on it.

Thanks for you help

Well I'm glad Ad-Aware worked in the end :D

As long as Ad-Aware reported as being able to successfully clean the infections then don't worry too much, but yes, do keep an eye on it - just in case. You should also look at ways of helping your son prevent malware infections in the first place.

I'll close this topic now, but if you need it reopening, then just PM me

Casey