Sign in to follow this  
tonylukac

Ad-Aware Freezing

After yesterday's (Sunday's) update (done manually), Ad-Aware freezes when scanning processes after about 1800 objects. This happened on two different computers, and I am not running Norton. I am running Avast Home Edition antivirus on both computers. After reboot and retry (and not starting off doing the web update), it gets thru it. One computer is running Windows XP SP3, the other is running Windows Vista Business SP2. I did a smart scan on the XP machine and a full scan on the Vista machine; both froze. I really like Ad-Aware and the XP machine is only 1 Ghz so it takes about 10 minutes to boot, so it would be good to have it work the first time. Thank you.

Under Scan Settings, set the default profile to not scan running applications, then see if you can complete a profile scan.

Afterwards, set the default profile to scan only the running applications, and try the profile scan again.

By process of elimination, you'll find if the problem really lies with scanning the processes, or if it's something else. Also, try scanning after turning off other running processes one by one to see if you can elimate any conflicts. The 1 gHz XP machine sounds like it has a lot of startup processes if it takes 10 mins to boot.

Sorry it took so long to respond. Sorry, too, I cannot reproduce the problem. It only occurred once on each computer after Sunday's update. The problem also occurred once on each of my computers when I first installed Ad-Aware in January. Since its an erratic problem only occurring 2 times on each computer, I am not worried. Just wanted to let you know if something hits a bright spot.

I cannot reproduce the problem. Since its an erratic problem only occurring 2 times on each computer, I am not worried.

OK. The new version of Ad-Aware will be out on Oct 13, so maybe the erratic problem will be fixed.