Sign in to follow this  
hopscotch

adaware doesn't seem to scan for browser hijacks

Hi --

When I run a full scan (I don't use other options), adaware doesn't scan any objects for browser hijacks.

I've watched display, and it says "scanning for browser hijacks" for a couple of seconds, but the objects counter sticks at 0.

In other words, it is for some reason not scanning my browsers (I currently have two installed -- FFX and Safari).

Also, I'm wondering if Adaware AE still reports cookies with a TAI of less than three.

I diligently remove cookies, but the older version still used to turn them up sometimes. No more, and I notice the AE edition doesn't give users the options of setting the TAI level they want detected to 0 anymore.

I'm concerned about my surfing being monitored -- I've had this in past, by a creepy guy I know who works as a part-time moderator on a number of legitimate sites and used these sites' cookies to track me.

Adaware may consider this low threat, but I don't, because it means other people know my plans for outings, concerts, etc.

Can there be persistent cookies on my browser that Adaware isn't telling me about, because it doesn't report anything with a TAI level lower than 3 anymore?

Thanks! I hope I posted this in an acceptable place.

Hopscotch

adaware doesn't scan any objects for browser hijacks

I'll check my scans later (tomorrow) to see if I can reproduce this.

I'm wondering if Adaware AE still reports cookies with a TAI of less than three

I think this has been discussed on the board before and, if I remember correctly, the outcome was that Ad-Aware no longer reports TAI <3 and there is no way to change this in the program. But again, I will try and double check that for you.

Casey

I'll check my scans later (tomorrow) to see if I can reproduce this.

I think this has been discussed on the board before and, if I remember correctly, the outcome was that Ad-Aware no longer reports TAI <3 and there is no way to change this in the program. But again, I will try and double check that for you.

Casey

Hi Casey --

I reinstalled adaware today, and reset the scan settings, so I hope it will now work.

Further to the TAI 3 issue -- aargh! In my situation, I don't want any tracking cookies whatsoever, because it gives away too much information about where I"m going and doing.

Is there any other way to remove these low-TAI cookies?

I use Tracks Eraser and clear private data using FFX browser tools frequently while browsing -- but I don't know if this is removing tracking cookies and MRUs, which I also used to get constantly.

I also uninstalled and reinstalled FFX yesterday -- would that clear them off?

I'd be happy to buy software to get rid of this junk if the above methods won't do it -- but what kind?

By removing the TAI customization option, Adaware has done a great disservice to a lot of people with privacy/cyberstalking problems -- mainly women.

I wish they'd reinstate it!!!!

Thanks for your help with this -- it's pretty important to me.

Hopscotch

I'm concerned about my surfing being monitored -- I've had this in past, by a creepy guy I know who works as a part-time moderator on a number of legitimate sites and used these sites' cookies to track me. Adaware may consider this low threat, but I don't, because it means other people know my plans for outings, concerts, etc.

Maybe I'm naive, but how does this work? I thought cookies could only track internet usage - how does it translate to what you're doing in real life?