Sign in to follow this  
mrbill_00

Why can I not scan my second hard drive?

Just blanked my HDD and reloaded XP Pro, software, and downloaded/ran latest Adaware AE.

I can't run scans on any drive but C, nor can I find any settings or configs to scan other drives.

I had the AE version before (upgraded from SE a while back), and maybe my synapses aren't s'nappin' very good under my gray hair, but I thought I was able to scan other drives before...?

Please advise - any assistance will be most appreciated.

Cheers

Under the scan settings, you can choose what drives to scan with the default profile, then run a profile scan. It works with internal drives, but recently another user tried this unsuccessfully with an external drive - someone at Lavasoft was going to investigate, but I haven't heard back yet.

Under the scan settings, you can choose what drives to scan with the default profile, then run a profile scan. It works with internal drives, but recently another user tried this unsuccessfully with an external drive - someone at Lavasoft was going to investigate, but I haven't heard back yet.

Seems a rather circuitous method, but found it tyvm. Similar utilies (AV software as one example among many) show a check list of drives to select from, then scans those drives.

The drive I wanted to scan is an external, and had to add it to the list of drives to scan by browsing (not select from a list).

Even though I selected the ext. drive (and C appeared to be inactive), the utility still scanned both drives. Guess one must remove other drives as opposed to just highlighting the one you want to scan.

Perhaps that's what the person you referred to did - highlighted her/his external drive, then when s/he saw the C drive being scanned assumed that the external should have been running?

thx for the assistance

Cheers

PS: Just tried again, and removed C from the scan profile so that just the ext. drive showed, but it still scans C before the external.

Edited by Mr Bill

FYI, here's the other topic from user jobo23:

http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?showtopic=27023

I've bumped my topic with Lavasoft admin, it's been almost a month, so we'll see what happens. FYI, there's a new version of Ad-Aware for 2010 being released tomorrow, so I'm not sure if this will get much attention unless the problem carries over to the new version.

In the last month-old topic, the default profile scan also did not work. So, we tried right-click context menu scan:

1. Go to Ad-Aware scan settings. Check "Add Ad-Aware to Windows right-click menu."

2. Open "My Computer," right-click the external drive, and choose "Scan with Ad-Aware."

This did not work to scan the entire drive - jobo23 was only successful scanning files/folders on the external drive. I don't have an external drive, but both profile and context-menu scans worked with my external CD drive.

Mr. Bill (oh noooooo! B) ), let me know if you plan on trying the new version of Ad-Aware (8.10) due out tomorrow. There's going to be a new subforum here and, if the problem carries over, we'll have to post about it there. In the meantime, I'll see if I get any response from Lavasoft about the old version.