Sign in to follow this  
jowilsonths

8.10 Failed to Connect

Hi, I have Windows XP SP2 and continue to see a failed to connect to service error when I try to run Ad-Aware. After going through all the recommended fixes, the service is still not listed and Ad-Aware does not start. I have installed the latest version and I am not sure what to do now. Thank you for the help.

Edited by visitor

There's a new version of Ad-Aware (8.10) for 2010 to be released tomorrow. You might want to try that since a lot of AE bugs may have been alleviated.

Otherwise, from the recommended fixes, did you try creating the service manually?

http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?s...mp;#entry107298

http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?showtopic=26559

I have uninstalled the previous version with Revo and then downloaded the new version. When I tried to start Ad-Aware it still does the same thing by saying it failed to connect to the service. I checked and the service is still not listed, so I went through again and tried to create the service manually and restart. This still does not work and I get the same message. What should I do now?

Darn, the new version worked for highcountryrider who also had the service problem. Not sure if you tried both command strings to create the service:

OK - recently another user could not create the service using the command string in this post. Instead, it worked using the original post:

sc create AAWService binpath= c:\progra~1\lavasoft\ad-aware\aawser~1.exe displayname= "Lavasoft Ad-Aware"

I'm not even sure if this will work with the new version - check the new AAWService.exe to make sure the pathway and filename is the same as the old version (if it's not, you need to alter the command string accordingly). If it still doesn't work, I'll have to move this to the new Ad-Aware 8.10 forum since you now have that installed.

I am not sure. I ran Sybot Search & Destroy, and it fixed three problems. After that I redid all the recommended fixes, but the same thing happened. How can I tell if I have a malware infection?

Read the instructions in my signature:

1. submit malware to Lavasoft for analysis - this will help in future definitions and software updates :)

2. post a log in the HijackThis forum. Copy/paste or link to this thread to describe the problem, and somebody there can help you with malware removal.

Now that you've posted in the HJT forum, I'll close this post now. If the problem persists, PM any moderator to reopen this topic :)

Reopened thread just to let you all know, this machine IS infected and we'll continue to assist in his other new topic for malware removal.

http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?s...c=27342&hl=

It looks Vundo-ish which is a malware known to block Ad-Aware from running and sometimes installing. Nice sleuthing, guys!

Closing this thread back up then and we'll continue on in the other open thread. :)