Sign in to follow this  
Mike...

AAWTray.exe does not start, tray icon missing

I decided to give version 8(.1.0) another go today. I had used and removed AE in the past. I'm glad to say the Update button in Ad-Aware is finally working again! Unfortunately, there's still something not right with the tray icon.

Now, as mentioned, I only use Ad-Aware as on-demand scanner, so I've set the service to Manual and all automatic update options are turned off. The tray icon is set to appear.

After a clean boot, Ad-Aware starts fine when I run it. It starts the service, and I can scan just fine. However, AAWTray.exe is never started and thus the tray icon does not appear. If I start AAWTray.exe manually, it starts just fine and the icon appears.

Now, why isn't that happening automatically? The whole point of having the tray icon for me, is so that I can shut down Ad-Aware completely. Because if I close Ad-Aware regularly, the service keeps running. As far as I can remember, by using the tray icon shutdown method, the service will be stopped as well.

Either way, the tray app isn't started and the icon does not appear while it is set to.

(I'm using Windows XP SP3)

Edited by Mike...

It looks as though the tray icon is linked to the service - so that the service must be running during start-up for the icon to load. You can probably see how this makes sense, since if the user has decided to shut down Ad-Aware then they would probably not want Ad-Aware's tray icon to run. Of course, though, this means users such as yourself can't quite run it how they want.

One way round this I can see for you, is to go to C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware and find the AAWTray app. Then right click on it and create a shortcut, then drag this shortcut into your Startup folder (can be found in your programs menu). This should then ensure that AAWTray starts even when the service doesn't.

Casey

Yeah, but I don't want anything Ad-Aware running automatically...

Seems like this is an easy thing to fix though. So that the tray app and icon behave as you would expect them to, no matter how you use the program. Is there a way to forward this to the developers?

Yeah, but I don't want anything Ad-Aware running automatically...

Well, you do want the tray icon to run automatically. I agree with Casey - most users who want on-demand don't want the tray icon, since that indicates the application is running. Instead of a tray icon, it's common to have a folder of shortcuts for on-demand apps.

Well, you do want the tray icon to run automatically.

Yes, but I want Ad-Aware to start it when Ad-Aware is launched. Maybe I'm misunderstanding something here, but the Startup folder is for items that start everytime Windows starts. I do not use Ad-Aware to scan on a daily basis, not even on a weekly basis (bi-weekly maybe), so there's no need for the tray app to be in the startup folder. Same reason I set the service to manual.

I agree with Casey - most users who want on-demand don't want the tray icon, since that indicates the application is running. Instead of a tray icon, it's common to have a folder of shortcuts for on-demand apps.

Well, whether I want the icon or not, it's checked to appear and it doesn't, that makes it an issue either way you look at it. The reason I want it and I suspect other on-demand scanners as well, is so we can shutdown Ad-Aware completely once we're done. (No Ad-Aware stuff running before the on-demand scan, nothing after the scan.) The only way to do that currently, is by using the tray icon's "Exit Ad-Aware". Now, if Ad-Aware can start up the service (if set to manual), then surely it can start the tray app as well?

The work-around should work and manually running the tray app after starting Ad-Aware works too, but it should just work by itself. Really.

:D

So if anyone can get this on the to-do list, it'd be much appreciated.

Yes, but I want Ad-Aware to start it when Ad-Aware is launched. The reason I want it and I suspect other on-demand scanners as well, is so we can shutdown Ad-Aware completely once we're done.

I see, we were both under the impression you wanted the tray icon always on, not just on-demand.

Now, as mentioned, I only use Ad-Aware as on-demand scanner, so I've set the service to Manual and all automatic update options are turned off. The tray icon is set to appear.

Did you just change the service setting in Windows, or did you turn off Ad-Watch under the Ad-Aware settings? I still have AE installed and it works as you intended - I turn off Ad-Watch but keep tray icon. Then the icon appears once I open the GUI. If they intentionally changed this in the new version, I'm not sure they'll want to change it back.

Did you just change the service setting in Windows, or did you turn off Ad-Watch under the Ad-Aware settings?

Well, during the install process it asked me if I wanted to install the Ad-Watch driver, I think it was called. I unchecked that option. Later in the program itself, I verified Ad-Watch was turned off completely. I think I needed to change one option, but all Ad-Watch protection is now definitely off. Then I set the service to manual through services.msc.

And now, after a clean boot, with nothing Ad-Aware running automatically, I start Ad-Aware and it launches the service. AAWTray.exe is never started and thus the icon doesn't appear, even though it is set to.

I don't see why the tray icon should have to behave one way or the other. It can do both. A simple check by Ad-Aware or the Service to the extent of, "if the icon is set to appear, verify that AAWTray.exe is running, if it isn't, start it", should suffice. They could even add, "If Service set to manual", then the aformentioned.

I don't think that would conflict with other uses of Ad-Aware. I'm also not sure why they would have it behave like this intentionally, disregarding a setting... It you give the user the setting, it should work.

I understand your point.

I think that the developers probably just hadn't thought that people might use Ad-Aware as you have in this specific scenario, so we can report this as an idea for improvement.

Casey

EDIT: or since reading visitor's post below, maybe they did!

Edited by casey_boy

Well, I got AE to work as you intended, so you might want to try imitating my settings:

1. Run msconfig. In the Services tab, check "Lavasoft Ad-Aware Service." In the Startup tab, check AAWTray.

2. In Ad-Aware Ad-Watch Settings, uncheck all modules. In Appearance Settings, do not hide tray icon.

* With these settings, when I boot, nothing Ad-Aware is running and there is no tray icon.

* Then, I start Ad-Aware using a shortcut to Ad-Aware.exe. Both AAWService and AAWTray start and the tray icon appears.

* I can scan on-demand, right-click the tray icon to exit Ad-Aware, and both AAWService and AAWTray are no longer running.

I understand your point.

I think that the developers probably just hadn't thought that people might use Ad-Aware as you have in this specific scenario

Well, when AE happened, several issues surfaced and people wondered about Ad-Watch, the service, the tray app, etc... Lavasoft explained them all in detail and I think they realized then that they underestimated the amount of people using Ad-Aware solely as an on-demand scanner. In light of that, I'm inclined to disagree with you. They should know by now how their program is used, IMHO.

With these settings, when I boot, nothing Ad-Aware is running

Do you have AAWTray.exe in the startup folder or does it run through a registry "Run" key? In my experience that may make a difference, so I want to make sure we're both doing the same thing.

Anyway, AAWTray.exe does run when Windows starts, as you'd expect, but it disappears on its own as well. I waited until it disappeared, then started Ad-Aware and the icon was logically missing. How much time did you leave between Windows' Start and Ad-Aware's start? The tray app might still have been active when you tested it. I fired up Task Manager as soon as I could and did my obersations there.

Do you have AAWTray.exe in the startup folder or does it run through a registry "Run" key? In my experience that may make a difference, so I want to make sure we're both doing the same thing.

The entry in msconfig/startup shows the location of a registry entry.

How much time did you leave between Windows' Start and Ad-Aware's start? The tray app might still have been active when you tested it. I fired up Task Manager as soon as I could and did my obersations there.

I wait until boot is complete, i.e. hard drive activity settles down. Then task manager does not list AAWService or AAWTray until I open Ad-Aware via shortcut.

So you had to create a run key? Mine was already installed:

HKLM/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Run

Name: Ad-Watch

Type: REG_SZ

Data: C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware\AAWTray.exe

Binary Value:

post-69997-1255632925.jpg

So you had to create a run key?

Yeah, if Ad-Aware made one initially, I removed it for obvious reasons.

Anyway, I mirrored your settings exactly and it does not work. AAWTray.exe starts when Windows starts, shuts down, I start Ad-Aware, Ad-Aware starts the Service, AAWTray.exe is not started, tray icon does not appear, while it is set to.

As far as other settings are concerned, I use Ad-Aware in Advanced mode. Settings > Updates > Do not... Do not... Do not. Profile scans > only changed one thing, checked Close browsers when... Ad-Watch Live! (Remember, "driver" not installed during the installation process) > Notify me about all events, the rest is either unchecked or grayed out. Customize > grayed out, unchecked, checked, English, default.

I'm all out of ideas.

Edited by Mike...

I'm all out of ideas.

Me too. All I can think of at this point is to do a full install again, including the Ad-Watch driver (just in case), then turn off Ad-Watch (making Ad-Aware an on-demand scanner), and show tray icon. Then see if it behaves as intended, like my AE. Somehow, all the post-install tweaking must've changed something.

Great minds think alike. :unsure: I did do exactly what you suggested, but unfortunately with the same results. And I checked this time and the installation does not seem to create a run key for the tray app. I used default settings, no icon, back to my own settings, no icon.

I'm starting to wonder, if this is somehow related to AE. I had major issues with it. The web update button didn't work and the tray icon disappeared on me after applying an update back then. Especially the former problem has been well documented. At the end I removed it for good until this new 2010 version, which really works well, except for the icon. Perhaps there is some leftover problem, I don't know.

Either way, once I manually run the tray app when Ad-Aware and the service are already running, the icon shows up as expected. Your suggestions assume the tray app is added to a run key. But it shouldn't have to be. At the end only Lavasoft knows how the tray app should behave and only they can add some additional checks...

I wish they would chime in on this one.

I think I'll use the Revo Uninstaller and remove Ad-Aware one more time, then I'll do a completely default installation. But that's it. With AE I went through all this and then some, I'm not going there again. And I can only say the same thing so many times without it getting repetitive.

:mellow:

Thanks for your help.

I think I'll use the Revo Uninstaller and remove Ad-Aware one more time, then I'll do a completely default installation.

Actually, that's what I meant last time. Do a full-blown installation, probably as they intended, just to make sure everything jives with the OS. See if it works normally, then start tweaking the Ad-Watch/icon settings. Hopefully it works this time *crosses fingers*

Well, completely default installation, no settings changes, no icon... I click on AAWTray.exe in the Ad-Aware folder, icon appears...

I did some searching around the boards before I started this thread and I already tried the things listed there. I read the thread again though and perhaps we are focussing on the wrong thing, that the icon is not appearing. The real issue, at last to me, appears to be that the tray app is not being triggered to run. Because when it runs, the icon appears just fine.

I dunno.

;)

Edited by Mike...

The real issue, at last to me, appears to be that the tray app is not being triggered to run. Because when it runs, the icon appears just fine.

Exactly - when I have Ad-Aware set as on-demand only, when I open Ad-Aware.exe, it opens the GUI and triggers both the service and tray icon. Somebody else with 8.1 will need to replicate the problem though, since I still have AE. I do remember reading here someone from Lavasoft saying they developed AE so you could turn off Ad-Watch and use it as an on-demand scanner, so it's odd, I can't see why they would have messed with this at all developing 8.1.

I've tried it on 8.1 and it works fine and as advertised, so not sure where the problem lies.

I have been thinking about it though, and perhaps you could create a quick batch file which when ran opens both Ad-Aware.exe and AAWTray.exe?

Casey