Sign in to follow this  
Mike...

AAWTray.exe does not start, tray icon missing

perhaps you could create a quick batch file which when ran opens both Ad-Aware.exe and AAWTray.exe?

Great idea! - that's why they pay you the big bucks Casey :)

There is an issue with the tray icon. As nearest I can tell it still is outstanding with v8.1. In fact Casey_Boy recently closed out my original thread about the matter. But I knew I just read about people having issues with it. And voila, guess what I find?

If there's some configuration aspect during installation that controlls that, I failed to see it. The AWTray process does NOT install itself. After a clean install, the AAWService is the only LavaSoft process running, ergo, whatever one sets the tray icon notification to doesn't have an effect.

When I place a AAWTray.exe shortcut into C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup, then the tray icon appears at boot time. I uncheck the tray icon notification setting, the tray icon disappears; both AAWService & AAWTRay processes continue to run. My understanding is that when realtime protection determines an issue exists via AWService process, the tray icon will appear with balloon pop-up (requires AAWTray process).

If AW AE is only used as an on-demand scanner then Ad-Watch should be turned off, presto chango no background processes whatsoever (i.e., neither AAWService nor AAWTRay processes). If one manually launches the GUI and runs a scan, I don't know if the AAWService starts up, or if an icon appears in the system tray, but who really cares in that case? The icon and either AAWService and/or AAWTray should terminate when the GUI is closed (if Ad-Watch is disabled).

Edited by raygun

If AW AE is only used as an on-demand scanner then Ad-Watch should be turned off, presto chango no background processes whatsoever (i.e., neither AAWService nor AAWTRay processes). If one manually launches the GUI and runs a scan, I don't know if the AAWService starts up, or if an icon appears in the system tray, but who really cares in that case? The icon and either AAWService and/or AAWTray should terminate when the GUI is closed (if Ad-Watch is disabled).

When AE is launched on-demand, AAWService is started (and in my case, AAWTray too). After a scan, closing the GUI does not shutdown either process - you need to right-click exit from the tray icon. If you read through the entire topic, that's the rub - Mike's AAWTray does not start when AE is launched, so there's no tray icon from which to exit. He needs to manually start AAWTray to get the icon.

Just a little update, I am now running Windows 7 Home Edition, 64-bit. A clean install. I've also installed Ad-Aware and the icon is showing. I'm using the exact same settings as I did on XP.

Still not a step closer to figuring this one out. Maybe it has something to do with Windows Services, I still have those at default values in 7.

Casey's also running Windows 7 64-bit, no problems. As he recommended, I think running a batch file would be the simplest solution to get AAWTray.exe to start when you execute Ad-Aware as an on-demand scanner.