Sign in to follow this  
WarrenPS

8.10 Keeps Asking To Update

Each time I start the new version 8.1, a pop up appears asking me if I wish the free update to AdAware. I have the choice to Update Now or Update Later. Of course, I already have the update. Are others experiencing this? Is there a way to eliminate this nuisance? Thanks for your help!!!

Edited by visitor

Hi,

I believe my Topic Title says it well... I updated to 8.1.0 and yet the Ad-Aware Update pop-up window will not go away.

Update Settings:

- Software and Definitions File Updates | Do not automatically check for updates: bulleted

- Information Updates | Do not automatically check for updates: bulleted

I even tried disabling the Lavasoft Ad-Aware Service.

Is the Ad-Aware Update pop-up window simply an 8.1.0 "nuisance" or is there a fix?

Many thanks,

Martin

P.S. The pop-up windows states:

FREE update to Ad-Aware

Update to the newest version of Ad-Aware today!

With power-packed advancements to our anti-malware

technology, additional usability features for added control, and fresh

community-based initiatives, Ad-Aware brings you the power you

need in the struggle to stay safe and secure online.

The power is in your hands - update for FREE today!

Update later (radio button) Update now (radio button)

Edited by martinsmithson

Each time I start the new version 8.1, a pop up appears asking me if I wish the free update to AdAware. I have the choice to Update Now or Update Later. Of course, I already have the update. Are others experiencing this? Is there a way to eliminate this nuisance? Thanks for your help!!!

Ah..someone else with the perpetual update request. I keep clicking on "upgrade later" and it's gone till next time.

SNIP SNIP

It's strange though, since I haven't had a pop up telling me to update yet? (Bet I've spoken too soon :D)

Casey

Hello, Casey.

I should add that I am running 8.1.0 under Windows XP SP2 [with all available MS updates - except IE7 or IE8, which I abhor].

Perhaps you are running under a different operating system, or this pop-up bug is tied to something other than our O/S.

My two cents,

Martin

Edited by visitor

Same is happening here, ON XP SP 3 , glad I noticed this thread, I was getting ready to do an uninstall and re install to see if that would of solved the issue, I will wait for an update, Thanks Casey :)

Edited by visitor

I see other people are having this problem - I have the latest update to version 8.1 and it keeps asking me to update - it's enough to drive one to drink!

Any answers on this yet??? :)

Same is happening here, ON XP SP 3 , glad I noticed this thread, I was getting ready to do an uninstall and re install to see if that would of solved the issue, I will wait for an update, Thanks Casey :)

Same problem here! :)

Hi,

i guess, you installed the latest version over the existing version. That is the bug, i made the same experience.

Uninstall Adaware and install again and you will see, the update question has gone.

Michael

Yes we agree, but it is still a bug, and I am sure it will be something they can fix upon the next Definition Update. Not everyone wants to have to uninstall and then re install upon every new SW update!!!

Hi,

i guess, you installed the latest version over the existing version. That is the bug, i made the same experience.

Uninstall Adaware and install again and you will see, the update question has gone.

Michael

Edited by CG.

Nope, doesn't work that way. I Uninstalled AE, then installed 8.1 and the bug appeared after the first update. On my laptop, same thing happened--after the first update or update today, the popup appeared.

Hi :

Reading this topic I felt a sort of "schadenfreude" Pleasure derived from the misfortunes of others according with this source http://www.answers.com/topic/schadenfreude , so I hope this problem will be solved as Casey told us

Cheers

MiguelAngelXP :)

PD : BTW I performed a quick scan and it worked fine, so in this afternoon after work I expect to update the definition files and perform a complete scan

Edited by Miguel Angel

nice new look

that is annoying

what was causing services to hang and not start?

laptop started right up

Edited by cootmaster

Ok -- my fears are somewhat allayed but not quite. I'm also no techie whiz so please be patient.

A couple of days ago I started getting a request to update because my support will end soon (January). TODAY it tells me now I can get the "Free Update to Ad-Aware" which apparently is the new 8.1 version.

1. Is this an upgrade to my PAID edition?

2. I clicked on the "Update Now" button -- the first time it took me to a webpage like Bing and said that link wasn't found .... HUH????

Next time I tried it and it just disappeared into thin air.

Third time (after I emailed support and haven't gotten an answer yet) it took took me to a page to downloat (CMT??) but at the right it was hawking a whole different software. Sooooooo why is it not re-directing me to LAVASOFT to download and how do I know this is official??

Are these all just bugs or is this really something hoaxy???? :)

1. Is this an upgrade to my PAID edition?

Yes, if your pro licence is still valid then you will still keep the pro.

2. I clicked on the "Update Now" button -- the first time it took me to a webpage like Bing and said that link wasn't found .... HUH????

Next time I tried it and it just disappeared into thin air.

Third time (after I emailed support and haven't gotten an answer yet) it took took me to a page to downloat (CMT??) but at the right it was hawking a whole different software. Sooooooo why is it not re-directing me to LAVASOFT to download and how do I know this is official??

Are these all just bugs or is this really something hoaxy???? :)

Not sure what's gone on there. Here's the official download page: http://download.cnet.com/Ad-Aware-Free/300....html?tag=mncol If you download that and install it, it will recognise your pro licence and activate the appropriate features.

Casey

Edited by casey_boy

It is being worked on,,,the program still works,,,keep ur fingers crossed. :)

I just downloaded the new Free Home Version of Ad-Aware, but when I open it up, an 'ad' flashes on the screen asking if I want to download this new version or do it later! But I already downloaded it! Why is this happening? How do I know if it downloaded it correctly and if the old version was removed? I am not very tech savvy, so PLEASE HELP!

an 'ad' flashes on the screen asking if I want to download this new version or do it later! But I already downloaded it! How do I know if it downloaded it correctly and if the old version was removed? I am not very tech savvy, so PLEASE HELP!

The update notification is a bug Lavasoft is looking into already. Version 8.1 is supposed to install over the old AE. When you open Ad-Aware, it should now say "Ad-Aware Anti-Malware" instead of "Ad-Aware Anniversary Edition." Also, if you click "info" or "about" it should say version 8.1 instead of 8.0x

todays date (10-14-09) time is 10:48pm .

the same thing has been going on with me too, i upgraded yesterday and i keep getting it, the pop-ups like every one else to upgrade to the new version , when i have already done that, even when i did another update just now , it still does it.

Hey gang. Same here, although it is a known bug to Lavasoft, I didn't see about when it's to be fixed. Also, did anyone else have this problem: I started scanning, only the quickest scan for now, but after it reached 8905 objects scanned, at about C:superantispyware.exe, it froze! Although the scan was still active--the cirlce with the lines moving around within the circle--showing a scan in progress, it never got past that 8905 & the only thing that still worked was clicking on the red X, to exit.

I re-launched it, but it started scanning immediately, without me choosing that 1st, but this time NO objects were even shown as started to be scanned (unlike the 1st scan getting up to 8905), & again it just froze up. :D

Any help welcomed.

todays date (10-14-09) time is 10:48pm .

the same thing has been going on with me too, i upgraded yesterday and i keep getting it, the pop-ups like every one else to upgrade to the new version , when i have already done that, even when i did another update just now , it still does it.

Also, did anyone else have this problem: I started scanning, only the quickest scan for now, but after it reached 8905 objects scanned, at about C:superantispyware.exe, it froze!

Let's keep this topic contained to the update notification. For scan freezes, there's already a topic:

http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?showtopic=27337

Sign in to follow this