Sign in to follow this  
Brush

8.1 Crashes

Before installing 8.1 for 1st time, I uninstalled the old AE version, and rebooted.

Installed 8.1, Updated and ran a SmartScan.

Watched it reading thru' folders, and it found 1 item, and continued.

After couple of minutes, AdAware just disappeared, and the Tray icon was now highlighted with !-mark.

Double-click would not open, neither would right-click/Open open the app.

Uninstalled 8.1, ran a CCleaner on the Registry, rebooted, and re-installed 8.1 with an immediate Update

Re-ran a Full Scan this time, (left in Simple Mode).

Went thru' my full C:\ drive (again finding 1 item, and continued to my D:\ (Data) drive.

Looked like it went thru' most or all, and then again, just disappeared, could not open from the (again) highlighted Tray icon.

Cannot (re)-start program without a reboot.

So, in both cases it looks to me (from my end), as if it is crashing at the point it would be showing the Summary screen or similar

XP-SP3 fully up-to-date (as of Today)

Avast A/V installed and up-to-date.

aawadmin.log

Scan_2009_10_13_13_10_33.log

DriverTool.log

Service_2009_10_13_11_22_57.log

Update.log

Hi,

It looks as though Ad-Aware has detected a threat and it would seem that this has caused it to crash. I would suggest that you read the instructions in my signature and post a HJT log in the HJT forum outlining the issue.

Casey

I am experiencing the exact same issue as Brush on my laptop. I had to uninstall on my desk top also. The scan just stopped and closed after just a few minutes without indicating an infection found. I have not yet reinstalled.

I am not that computer savy to do what casey_boy has suggested.

Needless to say, I am disappointed with this new update.

I have a HP laptop with Windows Vista 64 bit and using AVG for anti virus. I had AAW version 8.0 and upgraded yesterday. No problems with the previous version.

Edit: I just reinstalled 8.1 on my desktop. The first scan (default) stopped half way through and closed. I opened AAW again and it showed the scan had not been done yet. So I initiated the scan again (smart scan) and it stopped 4-5 minutes into it after it showed the following in the "area being scanned": "(Enumerating CLSID'S)". Then AAW closed. Thats the exact same thing it did yesterday before I had uninstalled it.

My desktop is a HP Pavilion with XP sp2 (home edition) and AVG antivirus.

On both computers, I also have Spybot S&D and Malwarebytes software.

Edited by Pat H.

I had an 18 month old version of Ad Aware free. On my dialup connection I have been unable to update. Now I have a high speed connection with windows live antivirus software and downloaded the latest version 8.1.0 today. I have tried 4 times to do a complete system scan. Each time the scan begins and runs between 4 and 7 minutes only scanning a small portion of my files (and finding no objects) then disappears off of my screen without a trace. I also tried a critical scan with the same results. What can I do to get the scan to complete?

I have a Dell Dimension 4600 with Pentium4 2.4 GHz 512 RAM Windows XP Home edition 2002 with service pack 3.

I initiated the scan again (smart scan) and it stopped 4-5 minutes into it after it showed the following in the "area being scanned": "(Enumerating CLSID'S)".

There are multiple reports where scans stall at "enumerating clsid's." I've reported it to Lavasoft so they can look into it.

For scans stalling at "enumerating clsid's", please check this thread for updates.

Edited by visitor

:):):unsure::rolleyes:

Before installing 8.1 for 1st time, I uninstalled the old AE version, and rebooted.

Installed 8.1, Updated and ran a SmartScan.

Watched it reading thru' folders, and it found 1 item, and continued.

After couple of minutes, AdAware just disappeared, and the Tray icon was now highlighted with !-mark.

Double-click would not open, neither would right-click/Open open the app.

Uninstalled 8.1, ran a CCleaner on the Registry, rebooted, and re-installed 8.1 with an immediate Update

Re-ran a Full Scan this time, (left in Simple Mode).

Went thru' my full C:\ drive (again finding 1 item, and continued to my D:\ (Data) drive.

Looked like it went thru' most or all, and then again, just disappeared, could not open from the (again) highlighted Tray icon.

Cannot (re)-start program without a reboot.

So, in both cases it looks to me (from my end), as if it is crashing at the point it would be showing the Summary screen or similar

XP-SP3 fully up-to-date (as of Today)

Avast A/V installed and up-to-date.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

I have a problem with 8.1 as well. Techie from Lavasost told me to un-install my "Aniversary Edition" using Revo uninstaller before uploading 8.1 version.

so, after that , I got a redirection from Lavasoft to PC magazine download section ( I have "Ad-Aware Plus)

The file which named : "Ad-Aware_66.exe"

Perhaps I am a wee bit superstitious, but 66!!!

Needless to say I cancelled the download

If anyone has a direct link to Lavasoft site which has 8.1 Ad-Aware Plus, it would be much appreciated

Forget it