Sign in to follow this  
lsaa_guest

Scanning problem

I have just upgraded to the new 8.1.0 version, on both of my computers (both XP). On one of them, it works alright, it seems. On the other, however, scanning doesn't function well: During an 'intelligent scan', it stops at object 4802 ('enumerating clsid's') and can't stop scanning - for almost an hour now.

Is there a solution to this problem?

Same thing happens to writeon0:

I stopped those programs that I could and the scan still hangs. For each process I stopped the "Objects scanned" total reduced, as expected. I even stopped McAfee, but that did not stop AA from getting hung up. Each time it hangs now it is in the "enumerating clsid's". Something in AA's programming is still getting hung up.

Hi,

A few questions:

Is it still scanning?

Did the scan detect anything?

Do you have any other security software installed?

Casey

Hi there

'Is it still scanning?': After 3/4 hour hanging at the same point (not that I watched, I was just busy on the other computer), I stopped it by closing the software. Still it seemed to continue, because when right-clicking the system tray icon, I could see that it continued to scan. If this was your question, then yes - it just continued scanning. I had to shut off the computer to make it stop.

'Did the scan detect anything?': Not up to that point.

'Do you have any other security software installed?': Avast anti-virus, like on my other computer. This computer with the Ad-Aware problem, an Acer Aspire One netbook, came with a different type of anti-virus software when I bought it - I think it had McAfee, Symantec or the like (I'm not an expert in that sense). I de-installed that, then installed Avast. The previous Ad-Aware version didn't have problems with that situation.

Does that make any sense to you?

Michael

I have spent two hours trying to overcome the same problem- hangs up at enumerating clsid's -after about 25K items .Have done a clean reinstall twice with manual; removal of all ad-aware files and folders left behind after uninstall. Same result. Updated Spybot showed no threats. Before i updated the ad-aware today - it was running perfectly. What is one to do?

Update: I just set it to scan only executable files and it scanned until about the same number 25K but got hung up at documentsand settings\local service\applications - not only that it freezes in scan mode and does not respond to stop scan _ What the ...?

Edited by jefflz

I have spent two hours trying to overcome the same problem- hangs up at enumerating clsid's -after about 25K items .Have done a clean reinstall twice with manual; removal of all ad-aware files and folders left behind after uninstall. Same result. Updated Spybot showed no threats. Before i updated the ad-aware today - it was running perfectly. What is one to do?

Same problem for me.

Hangs up on:

Current Section: Critical Areas

Current Object: [enumerating clsid's]

There are multiple reports where scans stall at "enumerating clsid's." I've reported it to Lavasoft so they can look into it.

I had exactly the same problems, finally deleted Ad-Aware 8.1 and that ended the problem...forever. At one point, it acted like it was using lots of memory. Even when "stopped" it didn't really stop, but all of my programs slowed down. 8.1 does't seem to be very good software, very unreliable. I won't download it again until it is fixed.

I had exactly the same problems, finally deleted Ad-Aware 8.1 and that ended the problem...forever. At one point, it acted like it was using lots of memory. Even when "stopped" it didn't really stop, but all of my programs slowed down. 8.1 does't seem to be very good software, very unreliable. I won't download it again until it is fixed.

Until I forced a shut-down it was using 49% of CPU and doing absolutely nothing for hours on end!!!!

Edited by jefflz

Hi there

'Is it still scanning?': After 3/4 hour hanging at the same point (not that I watched, I was just busy on the other computer), I stopped it by closing the software. Still it seemed to continue, because when right-clicking the system tray icon, I could see that it continued to scan. If this was your question, then yes - it just continued scanning. I had to shut off the computer to make it stop.

'Did the scan detect anything?': Not up to that point.

'Do you have any other security software installed?': Avast anti-virus, like on my other computer. This computer with the Ad-Aware problem, an Acer Aspire One netbook, came with a different type of anti-virus software when I bought it - I think it had McAfee, Symantec or the like (I'm not an expert in that sense). I de-installed that, then installed Avast. The previous Ad-Aware version didn't have problems with that situation.

Does that make any sense to you?

Michael

I have just spent 2hrs trying to get this new program to work. It hangs up every time!! I have done a clean install twice and the program still hangs. What's up with the new software?

There's a conflict between Norton and Ad-Aware Anniversary Edition resulting in scan freeze. Turning off Norton's Tamper Protection solved the problem. Can anybody with the new Ad-Aware 8.1 and Norton confirm if the problem has carried over?

There's a conflict between Norton and Ad-Aware Anniversary Edition resulting in scan freeze. Turning off Norton's Tamper Protection solved the problem. Can anybody with the new Ad-Aware 8.1 and Norton confirm if the problem has carried over?

Hey gang. Like others, when I started scanning, only the quickest scan for now, after it reached a certain number of objects scanned (on my computer it was 8905, at about C:superantispyware.exe), it froze! Although the scan was still active—the cirlce with the lines moving around within the circle—showing a scan in progress, it never got past that 8905, & the only thing that still worked by then (*stop scanning* didn’t work), was clicking on the red X, to exit.

I re-launched it, but it started scanning immediately, without me choosing that 1st, but this time NO objects were even shown as starting to be scanned (unlike the 1st scan getting up to 8905), & again it just froze up.

I did notice later that the Icon was still there, so I clicked it & there it was: still 'scanning' after I had closed the program. So I went to the Task Manager & looked under 'Applications,' but no AdAware was shown. Then I looked at 'Processes,' & there was AdAware running—AAWService…— like others said, at 50% CPU, so I right clicked & hit "End Process." I naively thought that all was done for now. But just before closing task manager, I saw it had started up again, with the same 50% CPU; it seemed like I was going to have to uninstall it if I couldn’t control it automatically running again on its own! I'm no techie, but I figured out that maybe I need to hit "End Process Tree," & that finally fixed that issue, at least for now.

I do have Norton—but only the "free detection scanner," which to my limited knowledge, has no active part running until I click on the icon shortcut, which immediately launches Norton’s update.

Hope this is of some use. BTW, the 2 bugs I'm dealing with seems like AdAware sent this out just a little too early—without extensive testing—so it has a BETA feel to it. I appreciate AdAware, so this is just my honest opinion, & is meant only for constructive criticism.

Any help welcomed. Thanks

I have Norton IS 2010 and have the same scanning issues. But what is Norton Tamper Protection? Is it the Sonar thing or the Antivirus anti protect setting? Just so I could test if it was the culprit.

Regards,

Rasmus Bertelsen

I have McAfee, not Norton.

I also suspected something in that direction. Not that I'm an expert, it's more a matter of general experience and gut-feeling.

Like I said, when I bought this Acer Aspire One netbook, I de-installed the pre-installed anti-virus software (probably McAfee) through the regular XP procedure (in order to replace it through Avast), but this probably means that some files and entries may still be around and cause damage under certain conditions, if I've comprehended well.

How do I find them? Under C:\Programs, there is no folder carrying a name with any resemblance to this previous software. There was one under 'users', and with contents, but deleting it didn't solve the problem. Searching for 'mcafee' produced no results. How would I totally get rid of all the 'hidden' McAfee files, entries etc? Would McAfee inform me? I doubt it.

PS

Could you otherwise send me the installation file of the previous version to my email address registered by you, please? I didn't save it.

Edited by visitor

I can confirm that the problem has carried over. I still have to disable Norton Tamper Protection to enable Ad-Aware 8.1 to run a scan.

I have Norton IS 2010 and have the same scanning issues. But what is Norton Tamper Protection?

Tamper Protection is a feature which protects Symantec/Norton files from being scanned or changed - it's meant to fend off malware, but unfortunately it shuts down Ad-Aware scans. A similar problem with Symantec Endpoint. Disabling Norton is not enough, the Tamper Protection needs to be turned off in the settings.

Could you otherwise send me the installation file of the previous version to my email address registered by you, please? I didn't save it.

Lavasoft forum admin are the only ones who have access to your email, and they won't do this. Your best bet is to find it online - you may still be able to find AE since 8.1 was just released.

I can confirm that the problem has carried over. I still have to disable Norton Tamper Protection to enable Ad-Aware 8.1 to run a scan.

Thanks DerekS! :)

I want to report the same phenomena:

Downloaded Adaware Free (the new version). Uninstalled Anniversary (which worked like a charm) and installed the new version.

Scan froze at: Critical Areas ---> [enumerating clasid's]

Clicking the Stop Scan button did nothing. Clicked Help and the help section did open, though.

Tried to shut down Adaware by clicking the red X - but it kept running in the system tray.

Had to shut it down using Task Manager (sometimes it appeared as an application running, sometimes only as a process).

Tried again:

Unchecked the Critical Areas in the Default Scan profile. The scan worked perfectly.

Tried scanning ONLY the Critical Areas. the scan stalled again.

CPU usage was enormous (40-60%).

Hope they fix it real soon. I loved the Anniversary Edition.

Yarok

Security softwares: Avast (free), ZoneAlarm Pro 8 (which also includes antispyware)

Edited by Yarok

Lavasoft forum admin are the only ones who have access to your email, and they won't do this. Your best bet is to find it online - you may still be able to find AE since 8.1 was just released.

I looked for older versions and found 8.0.7. It appears that it doesn't have the problem described. Maybe this info helps your technicians to repair the flaw of the 8.1.0 version.

Thanks!

I looked for older versions and found 8.0.7.

Not bad, AE was up to version 8.0.8:

http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?s...st&p=106978

Be sure not to update AE 8.0.7 through the GUI, tray icon, or start menu - that updates both the software and definitions. You can manually update definitions only, which is what I do. There's a link to FAQs in my signature, just search for update under AE.

I have the same problem with the hangups -- also reinstalled a couple of times but scan repeated same hangup. I am using BitDefender 2009 IS for anti virus. "enumerating clsid's" files is displayed and object count is always similar. Sounds as if something has the scan chasing its tail.

I have the same problem and it does the same as below, only mine stops on skypepm.exe

Hey gang. Like others, when I started scanning, only the quickest scan for now, after it reached a certain number of objects scanned (on my computer it was 8905, at about C:superantispyware.exe), it froze! Although the scan was still active—the cirlce with the lines moving around within the circle—showing a scan in progress, it never got past that 8905, & the only thing that still worked by then (*stop scanning* didn’t work), was clicking on the red X, to exit.

I re-launched it, but it started scanning immediately, without me choosing that 1st, but this time NO objects were even shown as starting to be scanned (unlike the 1st scan getting up to 8905), & again it just froze up.

I did notice later that the Icon was still there, so I clicked it & there it was: still 'scanning' after I had closed the program. So I went to the Task Manager & looked under 'Applications,' but no AdAware was shown. Then I looked at 'Processes,' & there was AdAware running—AAWService…— like others said, at 50% CPU, so I right clicked & hit "End Process." I naively thought that all was done for now. But just before closing task manager, I saw it had started up again, with the same 50% CPU; it seemed like I was going to have to uninstall it if I couldn’t control it automatically running again on its own! I'm no techie, but I figured out that maybe I need to hit "End Process Tree," & that finally fixed that issue, at least for now.

I do have Norton—but only the "free detection scanner," which to my limited knowledge, has no active part running until I click on the icon shortcut, which immediately launches Norton’s update.

Hope this is of some use. BTW, the 2 bugs I'm dealing with seems like AdAware sent this out just a little too early—without extensive testing—so it has a BETA feel to it. I appreciate AdAware, so this is just my honest opinion, & is meant only for constructive criticism.

Any help welcomed. Thanks

I looked for older versions and found 8.0.7. It appears that it doesn't have the problem described. Maybe this info helps your technicians to repair the flaw of the 8.1.0 version.

Thanks!

My computers in my house, 1 Vista (sp1) 2 XP (sp3), all running NIS 2009, have not been able to to run 8.1, with the XP's they had the disappearing problem, with Vista, the other problems it the other fourms. After spending many hours trying to find a fix for these multiple problems, on all three computers, I finally uninstalled 8.1, and did a search google search for the AE edition (8.0.8), from rapidshare, installed it. Now the vista computer works fine, as long as I disable the tamper switch in NIS, the 2 XP's run fine without doing anything. I would post a link to this site but it is probably against the rules. But if you do do a search for AE 8.0.8 becareful use the only site that has the rapidshare link, other sites that come up are not safe, want money, or are cracked editions of the pay version and probably have malware in them, and illegal. The rapidshare link is for the old free edition of AE, and is a .rar file, which will have to be uncompressed (un-zipped).

I am not trying to knock the 8.1 edition, only trying to help people who can not find a fix, and want protection temporarily until Lavasoft sorts these problems out. If I have violated any rules in posting this, I apologize, but just trying to save people time, and have a secure computer. Ad-aware in the past years has been a great help to me, and will continue to praise it, and use it.