Sign in to follow this  
stix

Ad-Aware v. 8.1.0

Ad-Aware v. 8.1.0 My scan starts then the GUI disappears and the scan is stopped. I've uninstalled and re-installed this version twice and still having the same problem.

Hi,

Could you please tell us where the scan gets up to, or if it finds any infections?

Oh and do you have any other security software installed?

Casey

Edited by casey_boy

Casey,

Could you please tell us where the scan gets up to, or if it finds any infections?

Stix: "The highest number of objects scanned before closing was 18,525 and no infections were found or displayed."

Oh and do you have any other security software installed?

Stix: "I'm currently running AVG Free v. 9.0.686 and Spybot Search & Destroy."

Thanks,

Stix

Ok and I'm guessing that neither AVG nor Spybot have detected anything either?

Could you try and see what the section heading is when it stalls (i.e. we've had quite a few reports of scans stalling at enumerating clsids).

Also could you try running a scan with any real-time protection from AVG and Spyboy disabled.

Casey

l loaded 8.1 and scanned 33766 objects in smart scan. On reaching the last object in critical areas the scan proceeded to check enumerating clsid's. After several minutes, during which no additional objects were scanned, the application abruptly stopped and disappeared. I did this several times and got the same result. I then deleted Ad-Aware 8.1 and reloaded it. I got the same result on my Dell desktop Dimension 8200 with Home version of xp. Have also downloaded version 8.1 to my Dell laptop Inspiron 5100 with no problem. Also using Home version of xp. Is there a fix for this problem on the desktop unit? I have noted other posts with similar problems.

Casey,

Ok and I'm guessing that neither AVG nor Spybot have detected anything either?

Stix: "Neither program has detected anything."

Could you try and see what the section heading is when it stalls (i.e. we've had quite a few reports of scans stalling at enumerating clsids).

Stix: "The majority of my attempted scans do stop at enumerating clsids. However there have been other locations where the scan was halted."

Also could you try running a scan with any real-time protection from AVG and Spyboy disabled.

Stix: "This was done but with the same result, an incomplete scan with a vanishing GUI."

Thanks,

Stix

Right, well I think the vanishing GUI is quite suspicious, so eventhough your other software hasn't detected anything I would like you to follow the instructions in my signature and post a HJT log in the HJT forum for analysis.

Casey

I'll close this now that stix has posted in HijackThis forum. If the problem persists afterward, please PM a moderator to reopen this topic.