Sign in to follow this  
wlpatch

8.1 SCANS THEN DROPS OFF SCREEN

I Recently upgraded from Ad-Aware Anniversary edition to the Ad-Aware 8.1 version on 8 of my computers. On 2 of my computers, whether scanning in Smart Sacn or Full Scan, the Ad-Aware screen will appear showing the progress of the scan. However, as it contines, the Ad-Aware screen will completely disappear, and go back to the desktop. The Ad-Aware icon even disappears in the lower right corner.

Tried uninstalling and re-installing to no avail.

Tried disabling the Norton Product Tamper Protection, to no avail.

Tried going to Msconfig and selecting "Selective Startup," unchecking the "Load Startuo Items," and clicking "Apply." Computer reboots, but still have problem.

Both computers are using Windows XP, Norton Security Suite, 1 is 2009, other is 2010, Spy-bot, Windows Defender, and Ad-Aware, version 8.1.

Anyone else experiencing this issue? If so, have you found a soloution, and if so, please advise.

Thank you.

Halloween

I am having the same problem. I did not "upgrade". I did a "add/ remove programs" to remove the 2 year old version of Ad-Aware I was using. I might add that the reason I decided to install the version 8.1, was a slow loading and slow to start a scan that developed. I kept getting a "the scan engine" is busy.

I did a new install of 8.1. I am seeing the same symptoms described by Halloween. The "loading" screen seems to take about 30 seconds to finish and present the scan selection screen. Select either full scan or fast scan and the scanning starts and runs for about 10- 15 seconds and the screen disappears. I believe the programs terminates, rather than just goes "off screen". When I restart, and go to the scan screen, the message that a full scan has not been completed. Also, the scan selection screen will disappear after about 35- 40 seconds if no selection is made.

I also have an Ad-Ware Pop up that says " Ad-Watch Live! detected that a maliciour process id running and started a scan in background mode. You will be able to clean any infections safely after the scan is finished". After about an hour of operation I have not received any notice the background scan has finished.

My system is WIN XP pro, Spy Sweeper, Zone Alarm Pro and Spy Bot.

Any one else having the same or similar symptoms or have solved the problem?

If Ad-Ware technical support is monitoring this forum, you comments, suggestions, AND solution would be appreciated.

Thanks,

krazykat

I've got Windows XP Home edition and Norton's 08 (I think, I'm not sure, I do know it's outdated, though) and just updated ( a few minutes ago) to the new Ad-Aware from my Anniversary Edition. Whenever I try to scan, Ad-Aware makes a valiant effort, but then vanishes. I have the Ad-Aware yellow '!' in my task bar telling me that objects were detected in my (what I'm fairly sure is an unfinished) scan. No matter how many times I double-click or right-click and demand it to show itself, it simply refuses after using half of my CPU for a second or so. It is very distressing to me to not have Ad-Aware working like it should, and until this problem is fixed, could somebody send me a link to a download for the Anniversary Edition so I can get a working scan again?

At least in krazykat's situation, if there's notification of a malicious process running, it could be what's shutting down Ad-Aware.

Read the instructions in my signature:

1. post a log in the HijackThis forum. Copy/paste or link to this thread to describe the problem, and somebody there can help you with malware removal.

2. submit malware to Lavasoft for analysis - this will help in future definitions and software updates :mellow: