Sign in to follow this  
pdegloma

2008 Freezing

I just upgraded to 2008. Running Vista 07 w/ SP 2. Before this was running Adaware 2007, and have not had to use the software in a couple of years. There was nothing wrong with SE Personal if you ask me... but it wasn't making any new jobs for people. I got a virus in my email this morning. I don't know why I would trust Microsoft when they claim that attachments are automatically scanned for malicious content.

My first scan with 2008, it took all of 2 minutes to get to object number 122855. Now, going on 27:00 and still scanning 122855. This must be the magic number. Or maybe it's just a really big object. Truthfully, the software is stuck!

Maybe the file cannot be scanned because it is in use by the OS... I will reboot in SafeMode and try again. Will repost if this helps. 30:00... I'll just bake a cake or something and wait for electrons to follow the path of least resistance!

• Like 1

Just letting you know ad-aware doesnt do email scans, it just san for bugs in general. I'm glad it got yours. Since you caught the bug, you might try using the trial version of adaware plus or pro. They with with a anti virus scanner and definitions. The free version is heuristics based, which means,

Heuristic-based detection, like malicious activity detection, can be used to identify unknown viruses. This can be accomplished in one of two ways: file analysis and file emulation.[citation needed]

File analysis is the process of searching a suspect file for virus-like instructions. For example, if a program has instructions to reformat the C drive, the antivirus software might further investigate the file. One downside of this feature is the large amount of computer resources needed to analyse every file, resulting in slow operation.[citation needed]

File emulation is another heuristic approach. File emulation involves executing a program in a virtual environment and logging what actions the program performs. Depending on the actions logged, the antivirus software can determine if the program is malicious or not and then carry out the appropriate disinfection actions

Good idea with the safe mode. If for some reason plus or pro doesnt work repost and we can try some other things or may be go the Hijackthis forum here for some in detail removal.

good luck

You might also want to try the most up-to-date version of Ad-Aware - 8.1 (or maybe AE).

In all likelhood, the scan stalling maybe due to the infection and so, yes like Txnnok says, your suggestion about safe mode is a good one.

Casey

Sign in to follow this