Sign in to follow this  
wjmano

No Restart After Scan

I installed Ad-Aware free and did a scan on my pc, running winXP home. After a scan the systray icon shows several options, including "show detected objects" but I cannot open the program to delete the detected items. Instead, the Ad-Aware splash screen flashes on the screen for a few seconds and then disappears. When I delete the Ad-Aware icon in the tray or reboot my computer and reopen Ad-Aware, it says that a scan has never been done, so I lose the results from the previous scan.

I used add/remove to delete Ad-Aware and downloaded & reinstalled it again, but it does the same thing.

I've note other users have experienced a similar problem, but I have not noted any fix yet.

Any ideas??

Thank you.

It sounds like the same 8.1 problem, which Lavasoft thinks may also cause crashing:

http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?showtopic=27435

You could wait for the fix, but since Ad-Aware detected some things, it could be malware causing the problem.

Read the instructions in my signature:

1. post a log in the HijackThis forum. Copy/paste or link to this thread to describe the problem, and somebody there can help you with malware removal.

2. submit malware to Lavasoft for analysis - this will help in future definitions and software updates B)

I installed Ad-Aware free and did a scan on my pc, running winXP home. After a scan the systray icon shows several options, including "show detected objects" but I cannot open the program to delete the detected items. Instead, the Ad-Aware splash screen flashes on the screen for a few seconds and then disappears. When I delete the Ad-Aware icon in the tray or reboot my computer and reopen Ad-Aware, it says that a scan has never been done, so I lose the results from the previous scan.

I used add/remove to delete Ad-Aware and downloaded & reinstalled it again, but it does the same thing.

I've note other users have experienced a similar problem, but I have not noted any fix yet.

Any ideas??

Thank you.

Just received update 149.0079, a rather large one. Not only does the scan still hang, but it gets no further than Processes, and I let it run for at least 18 minutes. Before that it scanned as far as 33000 objects in Critical Areas before stalling. Using Home version of xp on Dell 8200. And to add to further woes, the program automatically reboots, but fails to load, requiring a re-start of the computer. On the other hand the program works just fine on my 5100 Inspiron with the same Symantec Norton Systemworks 2005. Have notified Symantec who claim there will be issues with conflicts as new updates occur from either side. Still waiting for a resolution from LavaSoft and Symantec. May have to abandon Ad-Aware and look for another anti mal/spy ware program.

Sign in to follow this