Sign in to follow this  
amigan_1

Cannot install where user wants.

Hi All,

I have four partitions on my internal harddrive. The "C" partition is for those programs and files necessary to run the computer, as a boot type of partition. The second partition is "D" in which I place all those programs and files which do not need to be in "C," like office suites and anti-malware programs, games, etc. The third partition is used to place all the internet files gathered by the browsers (cookies, history, and some downloads). The fourth partition is reserved for the system as an emergency boot and system reinstall, as many brands of computers now have. I try to not install programs and other files on "C" to assure that I will have enough space for those files which must be on "C".

When I installed Ad Aware 8.1 Free, yesterday, Sunday, the installation wizard never asked me where I wanted to place the product. Usually, a query is asked whether the user wishes to use a standard install or a custom (or expert, or manual) install. This is how I am able to use an installation wizard to install a program or file where I wish it to be installed. I do understand that for many programs to properly run, some files must be placed in certain directories in "C," such as libraries, so I do not expect to have every file placed where I wish.

Can Ad Aware be installed, using a wizard, where I want it installed?

Thank you, in advance.

Regards,

Julian

Hi,

When you click to accept the licence agreement a blue 'customize installation' link will appear in the bottom right corner. Using that you can chose where to install Ad-Aware.

Casey

Hello Casey,

You wrote:

[quote name='casey_boy' post='112803' date='Nov 2 2009, 11:28 AM']Hi,

When you click to accept the licence agreement a blue 'customize installation' link will appear in the bottom right corner. Using that you can chose where to install Ad-Aware.

Casey[/quote]

I had to get back to the forum today, to find that you answered me. Thanks.

I never noticed that before. Before I decide to uninstall and reinstall Ad Aware, is that blue "customize installation" link on the Free version of Ad Aware?

Also, is there a simple way to actually move the files from where they now are to where I want them to be, so I do not have to uninstall and then reinstall?

Thanks, in advance.

Regards,

Julian.

[quote name='amigan_1' post='113248' date='Nov 12 2009, 02:55 PM']is that blue "customize installation" link on the Free version of Ad Aware?[/quote]

Yes it is :D

[quote]is there a simple way to actually move the files from where they now are to where I want them to be[/quote]

No, I don't think so, since your registry entries, shortcuts etc would link to the files in the currently installed location.

Casey

Hello Casey,

Thanks for getting back to me fast.

You wrote:

[quote name='casey_boy' post='113252' date='Nov 12 2009, 12:37 PM']Yes it is :)
No, I don't think so, since your registry entries, shortcuts etc would link to the files in the currently installed location.

Casey[/quote]

Now I know that if I want to have more room on my "C" partition, I must uninstall Ad Aware, then reinstall it in the partition I wish it to go. :-(

Every time I get into some of the more complicated things with MS Win, I think back to the simpler way with the Amiga computer. The Amiga Computer system always was so much more straight forward with just about everything. Ah well, back to the reality that I am now dealing with MS Win.

Thanks again.

Regards,

Julian.

Lol. Well with ever advancing features and functionality comes more complex methods of dealing with things :)

Anyway, I'll close this topic now since it appears to be resolved (when you reinstall onto the right partition). Should you run into anymore troubles please start a new topic.

Casey