Sign in to follow this  
murphyabby1

Ad Aware install problem

I paid for the Ad Aware program and every time I try to run it, I get a message stating "cannot start set up.. file may be corrupt or may have wrong password". Thanks in advance!

I downloaded Ad-Aware free and I get an error every time I try to install it.

I had, 1 year ago Ad-Aware running on my computer and I had no problems.

Afterward, I removed it because there was a conflict vs Zone Alarm.

Now I wold like to use it again but I'm helpless in installing it.

Best regards

Carlo

@ murphyabby1,

I recommend contacting the Lavasoft Support Team since you are a paying customer, they are best at helping you out B) Use the link in my signature and log in (top left of page) with your account details.

@ cblu18,

Could you let us know exactly what the error message was?

Casey

@ murphyabby1,

@ cblu18,

Could you let us know exactly what the error message was?

Casey

Hallo

I'm not sure that i've choosen the correc section of forum, i'm trying to istall "lavasoft_adawarefree.exe".

I've downloaded it just now, once again.

The error messege I'm getting is:

Install process failed, product configuration data damaged. Plase enter in touch with supporting service

My translation is Tarzan style, but the message has more or less this content.

Regards

Carlo

Hi again,

Please make sure you download the file from here: http://download.cnet.com/Ad-Aware-Free-Ant....html?tag=mncol

See if you have the same problem. If you do, could you let us know more about your system please.

Casey

Thanks

I've downloded the file, but I've got the same result.

My computer is HP pavilion pentium dual core 2.80 GHz 1 Mb RAM.

Do you need more?

If you want, I can send the result of a scan done by some program you can suggest.

Regards.

Carlo

Edited by cblu18

OK,

So what OS are you running and what service pack. Do you have any other secuirty software installed on your computer, if so update them and run a scan - do they detect any problems? If the scan comes back clean, disconnect from the internet and disable the other software and try installing.

Casey

OK,

So what OS are you running and what service pack. Do you have any other secuirty software installed on your computer, if so update them and run a scan - do they detect any problems? If the scan comes back clean, disconnect from the internet and disable the other software and try installing.

Casey

Hi

I have Win HP Home S.P. 3, avast, z.Alarm, Spy Hunter 3.

My system is clean, I had an attack from a rootkit 3 days ago and I cleaned my system in a hard way. The register is OK but, may be, something is wrong. I'll disable everything and I'll try a new Install, then I'll let you know the issue.

Thanks.

Carlo

Did you get professional help in cleaning the rootkit? They're extremely hard to get rid of and even if you think you're clean you may well not be. They are also a common cause of problems with Ad-Aware.

I think this could well be the problem to be honest.

Casey

Edited by casey_boy

Did you get professional help in cleaning the rootkit? They're extremely hard to get rid of and even if you think you're clean you may well not be. They are also a common cause of problems with Ad-Aware.

I think this could well be the problem to be honest.

Casey

Hi

I used professional help and now every scan, Hijackthis, ccleaner, Malwarebytes, superantispyware says that my computer is clean; even mbr.exe says that my mbr is clean and every symptom has disappeared.

But .... who can say, may be there is something still acting in the darkness.

I tried to install Ad-aware even in maintenance mode. I disabled antivirus, firewall, and every scanner as you suggested, but the installation failed gjivig the same message as usual.

Do yo know any scanner I can use before installation?

Thanks

Carlo

Ok, well since you got help removing it we'll assume your computer is clean but obviously we can't gaurantee that.

Can I please have the exact error message? We need to work out what exactly creating the error, then we might be able to try and find a fix for you.

Casey

Ok, well since you got help removing it we'll assume your computer is clean but obviously we can't gaurantee that.

Can I please have the exact error message? We need to work out what exactly creating the error, then we might be able to try and find a fix for you.

Casey

The exact error message is:

The installation for Ad-Aware has failed:"Dati di configurazione del prodotto danneggiati. Contattare il personale di assistenza". Please check your settings and try again.

I tried to install choosing EN language.

The install program started, checked the system, asked me if I wanted install Gogle chrome and I said NO. The program started again and, before asking the install directory, stopped issuing the message I've copied above.

Thanks

Carlo

Thanks. Can you tell if Ad-Aware is giving this error message or Windows?

Casey

Difficult to say.

I suppose Ad-Aware because if I ask IT for Installation language I get a message in Italian.

I suppose the message is issued by Ad-aware that picks an information from some of the WIN memory areas, the italian message.

Hi

Carlo

So you're OS language is English then? Hmm.

Could you try manually installing the Microsoft C++ Runtime for me and then see if the installation goes ahead?

Casey

Hallo

My OS is ITALIAN.

I Installed Microsoft C++ runtime, you suggested, and installation was OK.

Bye

Carlo

Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help :D

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact the staff member who was helping you with your issue.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.

Thank you !

Hi

I followed a topic about installation problems.

Casey was telling me to try this and tht. I did, but someone "VISITOR" closed the topic telling tha the problem was solved.

Why?

The problem is not solved at all.

Ad-avare installatioin continue failing.

What can I do?

Thanks

Carlo

post-74398-1257971492.jpg

Edited by cblu18

Hi Carlo,

I believe that when you said

and installation was OK
visitor thought the installation of Ad-Aware had gone ok, when you meant the C++ installation went ok. So I reopened this for you and have merged your new topic into this one.

Thank you for your screenshot. It makes it a bit clearer that Ad-Aware is definitely sending this message. However, I am now left wondering why it wont install considering the C++ installed ok.

It's not a very helpful error message and one I've not seen before. I will try and ask the other helpers and Lavasoft staff here to see if they have heard of it. In the meantime, could you please look in your event logs to see if any more information is given when this error occurs.

Casey

[quote name='casey_boy' post='113214' date='Nov 11 2009, 10:09 PM']Just had a quick thought, could you try changing your OS language to English and then installing Ad-Aware in English? Casey[/quote]

Hallo
As you see from splash screen I tried to install ad-aware in English.
I've never changed my OS language in a different language are you sure that change is not dangerous.
Let know that I ever had Ad-AWARE working on this computer 6 months ago.
I uninstalled because it was installed on HD C: (OS disk) and I had space problem on this Disk.
I didn't install again AD-AWARE at that time. But now I should like to install it again.
Do you need any log, produced by some scanner?
I have Z Alarm. I closed it when I tried to install AD-AWARE. I closed process but I'm not sure if there are any services still running. WINDOWS has grown so big that overheads my comprehension capabilities.
Bye
Carlo

Hello again,

[quote name='cblu18' post='113255' date='Nov 12 2009, 06:41 PM']As you see from splash screen I tried to install ad-aware in English.
I've never changed my OS language in a different language are you sure that change is not dangerous.[/quote]

Yeah I thought we could try installing in the default languages to check that it's not some problem with the installer file. You shouldn't have any problems, but I'm not sure if you'll actually be able to do it - so hold off on that at the moment.

[quote]Do you need any log...?[/quote]

Yep, a Windows Event log relating to the install please. [url="http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308427"]http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308427[/url]

[quote]I closed process but I'm not sure if there are any services still running.[/quote]

You should normally be able to see if the services are related to a product. However, I shouldn't have thought it'd be ZoneAlarm.

Casey

[quote name='casey_boy' post='113256' date='Nov 12 2009, 08:18 PM']Hello again,
Yeah I thought we could try installing in the default languages to check that it's not some problem with the installer file. You shouldn't have any problems, but I'm not sure if you'll actually be able to do it - so hold off on that at the moment.
Yep, a Windows Event log relating to the install please. [url="http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308427"]http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308427[/url]
You should normally be able to see if the services are related to a product. However, I shouldn't have thought it'd be ZoneAlarm.

Casey[/quote]

Hallo
I looked round. The splash screen attached could describe the error.
If you don't undestand the text I can translate.

Bye and thanks a lot
Carlo

Hmm... well the error indicates a problem in the Windows Installer - so (just another wild guess!) we'll try updating your Windows Installer version. Please download from here: [url="http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=5A58B56F-60B6-4412-95B9-54D056D6F9F4&displaylang=it"]http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=it[/url]

Restart your computer and then try installing Ad-Aware again.

Casey

[quote name='casey_boy' post='113266' date='Nov 13 2009, 01:09 AM']Hmm... well the error indicates a problem in the Windows Installer - so (just another wild guess!) we'll try updating your Windows Installer version. Please download from here: [url="http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=5A58B56F-60B6-4412-95B9-54D056D6F9F4&displaylang=it"]http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=it[/url]

Restart your computer and then try installing Ad-Aware again.

Casey[/quote]
Hallo
Gates's firm has nice habit of compellig people to read pages and pages before understandig what is the best software to download.

What program have I to downlod on your opinion?

Plese take note that I am able to install programs on my computer, this means that win installer works, ... often but not with ad_aware:

Bye anh Thanks
Carlo

Sign in to follow this