Sign in to follow this  
sooty67

hklm hkey_local_machine\currentversion\run:net

Hi, I am not computer literate and use adaware to scan my computer frequently.

Today when I did a scan, I had this as the only thing in the findings and I sent it to quarantine because I have no idea what it is:

hklm hkey_local_machine\currentversion\run:net

Does anyone know if this is a badey and something I should remove? Like I said, Im not computer literate. I dont want to remove something which is important to the running of my computer. But I also dont want a trojan etc on the computer either.

Thanks to anyone who can give me help.
:D :)

That's a registry entry - when software is installed, it's registered with the operating system, sort of like a road map which the operating system uses to execute programs.

Once it's quarantined, it's safe. You can retrieve it if necessary, but can leave it in quarantine indefinitely or delete it once you're convinced your computer runs without it - it takes up negligible space on the hard drive. I've left stuff in quarantine for a year before deleting.

Beware, if you keep getting hits with Ad-Aware, you may have stubborn malware which regenerates. Some things can't be deleted by Ad-Aware or need to be deleted when the system is rebooted. For cases like this, you can follow the instructions in my signature about posting in the HijackThis forum for malware removal.