Sign in to follow this  
barrywhouse

30 to 40 Processes bloom to tens of mega bytes of memory

Opening AAW Free 8.1.1 seems to cause 30 to 40 Processes on my computer to BLOOM to tens of mega bytes of memory each. I can reduce the memory hogs by running a utility like SmartRAM multiple times. But what is causing the problem? I should not have to FIX some kind of problem everytime I open AAW. Did not have a problem with the Anniversary Edition, although that was much slower than previously. I do have an old machine, but something is causing an unnecessary problem. Running XP Home Edition 2002 w/ SP3, with AVG Free 9.0.704, Zone Alarm 8.0.298.000, 1.99G of RAM?????

The only solution I have found is to AVOID turning on AAW until I need to run a scan overnight.

(It takes in excess of 8 hrs to scan my machine. Please don't address this problem - only provided for info to help solve the BIG problem of memory expansion. Just ran my utility & reduced memory usage by 33, 72, 0, 79, 0, 66 MB for each run, or a total of 250MB)

Ad-Aware AE does have a problem with CPU usage (~25% on my 2.40 gHz system with 1 gb RAM) when the GUI is onscreen, but once the GUI is minimized to the task bar, CPU usage drops back to 0%. The problem was confirmed when a Lavasoft team member was able to replicate the problem, but I'm not sure they addressed this with the new 8.1 version since there was no update to my bug report.

Out of curiosity, do you run both AVG 9 (Resident Shield) and Ad-Aware 8.1 (Ad-Watch) real-time protection? I still have AVG 8.5 and Ad-Aware AE - before updating AVG, I wanted to make sure this month's MS XP updates are solid and wanted to check out the AVG Free forum to see if AVG 9 has any quirks or conflicts.

George1 Reply to Visitor: I have been running AVG 9 with all compontents active all the time (includes Resident Shield & Link Scanner). No problems with AVG (except for a possible false positive indicating IOBIT.com had "active threats on this page") until I have fired up Ad-Aware with Ad-Watch Live (just now, after starting Ad-Aware, 36 processes grew to occupy tens of megabytes of memory each; after running SmartRAM multiple times, I cleared 289 MB of RAM!). Do you think I should turn off either Ad-Aware Ad-Watch Live or AVG Resident Sield to avoid conflict?

[quote name='george1' post='113337' date='Nov 14 2009, 09:01 PM']Do you think I should turn off either Ad-Aware Ad-Watch Live or AVG Resident Sield to avoid conflict?[/quote]
I've been to the AVG Free forum and see a lot of people having problems with installation :)
I guess I will try to hold onto AVG 8.5 as long as possible before attempting 9.0

I would recommend turning off either AVG Resident or Ad-Watch, at least temporarily, to see if it helps. The conflict with having 2 real-time scanners is that they compete for system resources. I compared turning off AVG to Ad-Watch. When I had AVG only, there was lag time when I opened Windows Explorer - it took a moment for the file icons to populate. Therefore, I chose to keep Ad-Watch running.