Sign in to follow this  
Zipy

Slow scans with 8.1.x

I just installed the latest free version and did a full scan, or at least 7 hours is where I stopped it. It was obviously still scanning (scrolling through different files) so it wasn't just stuck. Even the old version took a long time, but isn't 7+ hours rediculous? I wasn't downloading anything and in fact wasn't even on the computer during the scan. Can someone offer some insight ? Thanks.

I suppose it differs from system to system. I have a 2.4 gHz CPU and 80 gb HDD - full scan takes ~ 2 hrs. with no other applications running, including other security software. I disconnect from the internet and turn everything off so that scans run as quickly as possible.

In the settings, you can specify to ignore files over your chosen size (default is 20 mb). If you reduce it to 5-10 mb, scans may be quicker if you have a lot of music or video files.

Hi All;
I have the latest version of Ad-Aware Free and it takes far too long to perform a Full Scan. It takes 15 hours and 29 minutes. The computer is an older IBM Laptop, 846 MHz with 512 MB of RAm. All other programs seem to run just fine, including Malwarebyte's Anti-Malware and Spybot - Search & Destroy. Ad-Aware AE ran okay in about 2 to 3 hours which I considered acceptable. I don't ahve any other applications running while doing a Full Scan other than Microsoft Security Essentials. Please advise if there is anything that I can do to speed up the scan time. Thanks....

I always disconnect from the internet and turn off all applications so scanning will be as fast as possible. You can also set Ad-Aware to ignore files over a certain size (default is 20 mb) - if you have a lot of music or video files, maybe set it to ignore files over 5-10 mb. I still use AE and since having the GUI onscreen uses 25% CPU, I minimize it while scanning, so instead of 2 hrs, a full scan only takes 1:40, but I'm not sure if this works with the new 8.1 version.

[quote name='visitor' post='114146' date='Dec 8 2009, 07:07 PM']I always disconnect from the internet and turn off all applications so scanning will be as fast as possible. You can also set Ad-Aware to ignore files over a certain size (default is 20 mb) - if you have a lot of music or video files, maybe set it to ignore files over 5-10 mb. I still use AE and since having the GUI onscreen uses 25% CPU, I minimize it while scanning, so instead of 2 hrs, a full scan only takes 1:40, but I'm not sure if this works with the new 8.1 version.[/quote]
Thanks for the reply. I will try the things you suggested. I wasn't having this problem until I did the upgrade to version 8. When I ran Ad-Aware AE it only took 2 to 3 hours which I was okay with. I just did another Full Scan yesterday and this morning I saw that it took 18 hours and 1 minute. This is just NOT performance.....

Firstly following the news that the enumerating clsid's bug has been fixed I have updated
to the 8.1 version of your software.

The smart and full scans both now work but only at the speed of a snail when compared to
previous Anniversary Edition software.
A smart scan used to take around 1 min but now takes around 3 mins.
A full scan used to take around 50 mins but now takes around 100 mins.

Also the time taken for the programme to load can only be called a crawl and I think the
computer has frozen even though it has not.

Are these slower results intentional??
My system is Windows XP SP3 Ram 2GB 2.8Ghz Athlon processor.

Your comments please.
ZENFLASH

I can hardly stand the two hours it takes to do a full scan on my barely used computer.......can i make changes to how it is set up to avoid this ridiculously, tedious irritation?????? I wanna go back to the good old days before 'anniversary edition' - life was sweeter then.

I merged the 2 topics regarding slow scans - that way all the info is in 1 place.

I forgot to mention - if you want to revert back to AE, you can download it from filehippo.com. There are no more software updates past 8.0.8, but the definition files can still be updated. I still use 8.0.3 and update the definitions manually. Edited by visitor

I have been having trouble with long scans also. You have to be patient.

You should plan on about one hour per Gig. My last full scan took 53 hours 1 minute and 47 seconds.

I have a 2 Ghz processor 512 Meg PC3200 RAM running Win XP Pro. my 80 Gig HD has about 52 Meg on it.

The scan found 15 cookies and it cleaned them up in a little less than 3/4 of an hour.

[quote name='kdw220' post='114163' date='Dec 9 2009, 04:58 PM']I am running Xp sp3, 2gb ram and both the profile and full scan takes 4 hours plus!
What is going on? :)[/quote]

Wow I wish I could get it to complete a full scan in 40 hours. I would be happy to speed it up to 50 hours. I wonder what happens to people who hard drives that are 100 Gig or larger. they probably measure full scans in day rather than hours.

I am looking to replace my AdAware with a program which can scan 50 Gig overnight in one just night.

[quote name='Tex10' post='114137' date='Dec 8 2009, 07:35 PM']Hi All;
I have the latest version of Ad-Aware Free and it takes far too long to perform a Full Scan. It takes 15 hours and 29 minutes.[/quote]

I was able to get through the full scan in 53 hours 1 minute and 47 seconds. It then took 42 minutes to remove the 15 cookies which the scan found in the 422,569 objects scanned.

I came back today to post the results and made the mistake of trying to use the support link in the AdAware program window. I clicked on it and after 25 minutes Internet explorer was not yet open. My CPU Usage was at 100% for the whole time. When ever I have AdAware open there are 3 procceses fighting for their share of the CPU AAWservice.exe, Ad-Aware.exe, and potdata.exe. They totally dominate. when I closed the Ad-Aware program I was able to open Internet Explorer and entere lavasoft.com to get to this forum at least a half hour quicker than using the link. While in the Forum without the Ad-Aware program open my CPU usage runs 4% to 7%

Does anyone know why those three processes use up 100% of the CPU without any scan running, and what is potdata.exe

This is frustrating. I am so surprised that more people are not complaining about the days required to run a full scan. I almost think that it might not be the normal for everyone who has Hard Drives with 50 Gig or more data.

[quote name='LionsMike' post='114464' date='Dec 16 2009, 08:39 PM']The scan found 15 cookies and it cleaned them up in a little less than 3/4 of an hour.[/quote]
For cookies, you might take a more proactive approach to avoid them setting in the first place. For my main browser, I add unwanted cookies to the blacklist, so over time, I get virtually no cookies for sites I regularly visit. For all random browsing, I use IE and just clear all cookies, temp files, history, etc. through Internet Properties. Also, I use SpywareBlaster and Spybot since they have passive protection for cookies and host file entries.

[quote name='LionsMike' post='114467' date='Dec 16 2009, 09:18 PM']Does anyone know why those three processes use up 100% of the CPU without any scan running, and what is potdata.exe?[/quote]
High CPU usage doesn't appear to be a widespread problem, but has been reported to Lavasoft due to the posts here. No word yet from them. I Googled potdata.exe and apparently if it's capitalized "Potdata.exe" it's software from APC power supplies, but if it's small case "potdata.exe" it might be a trojan:

[url="http://www.komando.com/messageboard/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4161"]http://www.komando.com/messageboard/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4161[/url]

If it is malicious, that might be what is hindering Ad-Aware. If you don't have APC PowerChute software, or suspect your system might be infected, read the instructions in my signature about posting in the HijackThis forum where somebody can help you with malware detection and removal. Edited by visitor

[quote name='visitor' post='114473' date='Dec 17 2009, 02:27 PM']For cookies, you might take a more proactive approach to avoid them setting in the first place. For my main browser, I add unwanted cookies to the blacklist, so over time, I get virtually no cookies for sites[/quote]

I have not seen a cookies blacklist in my AOL settings (I have not looked for some time) I will search for that option. I was not very concerned about 15 cookies. I have AdAware active protection and Spybot innoculations. I believe that I found the 15 cookies because my software prevented the other 250 from getting in. It is not unusual for me to find hundreds or thousands of adware and or cookies in computers which do not have active protection

[quote name='visitor' post='114473' date='Dec 17 2009, 02:27 PM']I Googled potdata.exe and apparently if it's capitalized "Potdata.exe" it's software from APC power supplies, but if it's small case "potdata.exe" it might be a trojan:[/quote]
I do have an ES500 and its associated software, however if I wrote down the file name with the lower case "p" I hope and believe that I did not err in my transcription. I will have to look the next time that I run AdAware.

Thankyou.

BTW are you saying that the 53 hours for a full scan is not normal for this vrersion of AdAware. Until now, nobody has said that I should consider that I have a problem. I am beginning to believe that it should take that long.

[quote name='LionsMike' post='114492' date='Dec 17 2009, 06:09 PM']BTW are you saying that the 53 hours for a full scan is not normal for this vrersion of AdAware. Until now, nobody has said that I should consider that I have a problem. I am beginning to believe that it should take that long.[/quote]
53 hours sounds mighty long to me! We have similar systems - with my CPU 2.4 gHz, 1 gb RAM, 80 gb HDD, a full scan with Anniversary Edition takes ~2 hrs with Ad-Aware's default setting to ignore files over 20mb. However, my last full scan scanned only 283,637 objects while yours scanned 422,569 with half as much RAM. I'm estimating that if you had Anniversary Edition, it would take ~6 hrs?

I'm pretty sure it has something to do with your CPU maxing out at 100%, but so far there's no word from Lavasoft about the high CPU usage. There was just an update to version 8.1.3 - I just asked them for a changelog - so maybe you can update and see if CPU usage goes down and scans go faster.

FWIW, a Smart Scan only takes ~1 min. on my system, scanning ~6,500 items. Anniversary Edition has a problem with 25% CPU usage merely because the GUI is onscreen, so whenever I scan, I minimize the GUI to the taskbar. I also stop all other running processes so there's no competition for resources (especially other real-time protection apps). As I said in the other post, I don't use the computer at all while scanning - start scan, turn off monitor, and watch TV or go to dinner for a couple hours.

[quote name='visitor' post='114501' date='Dec 18 2009, 08:38 AM']a full scan with Anniversary Edition takes ~2 hrs with
I'm pretty sure it has something to do with your CPU maxing out at 100%, but so far there's no word from Lavasoft about the high CPU usage. There was just an update to version 8.1.3 - I just asked them for a changelog - so maybe you can update and see if CPU usage goes down and scans go faster.

FWIW, a Smart Scan only takes ~1 min. on my system, scanning ~6,500 items.[/quote]

The Anniversary edition did a full scan in 2 to 3 hours. My last smart scan with the 8.1 took (I think but not sure) about 4½ hour

Hi LionsMike,

Did you scan with the current version of Ad-Aware 2010? The latest version is 8.1.3

Yes, v.8.1.3 Free is definitely slower than it's predecessors.

I have an AMD 64 3000+ processor and two 250 gb drives, each only 10% full. I'm running Windows XP SP3.

I still have the installation packages for 2007 Free, 2008 Free, and AE Free so I got some comparative scan times (in hours:minutes:seconds) for 104,387 items looked at:

v.8.1.3 .... 2:04:25
AE ........... 2:00:42
2008 ....... 1:46:08
2007 ....... 1:32:28
I couldn't find my packages for earlier versions but, if memory serves, I recall times under an hour for roughly 10% fewer items.

All runs done with Internet, System Defender, Spybot Resident, and AVG Resident Shield turned off. I did have the Task Manager running to keep track of CPU usage but no other apps. CPU usage varied between 82% and 94% but stayed at 86% much of the time.

Spybot, Windows Defender, and/or AVG on didn't seem to affect the 2007/2008 times much (less than a minute) but AE and 8.1.3 really wouldn't play nice with the AVG Resident Shield. Times jumped to 3:48:##, and CPU usage pegged at 100% and stayed there until the scan finished. There's the rub! About half the time it turned into FrankenScan, ie. it got into a loop and kept scanning the same file; it would not respond to the Stop Scan button, it would not let me exit the program, and the system would not respond to attempts to Restart from Windows. I could close the program window but the Task Manager showed that the processes were still running. I had to hit the Reset Button on the case to halt it. So be sure that all resident monitors are off.

The following probably belongs in another thread but since I'm here ... Starting with the 2008 version the uninstallers leave four (4) executables in the C:\Windows\Prefetch folder (filetype = .pf) which will interfere with attempts to get a good reinstall. The installation will finish but the program will crash when you attempt to run it. Removing them manually seemed to solve the problem.

I dont know what is going on with my Adaware free version but it's taking forever. I tried to scan my PC and it's been going on for over 2 hrs now so I stopped the scan. I remember way back when when it would only take about 5 mins to run a scan. Now it seems like it takes well over an hr everytime. Even with my new laptop that has next to nothing on it it was over 25 mins when I stopped it/
Anyone else lhaving these issues? How do I get it back to how it was when it only would take 5-10 mins to do a scan????
thanks

Which version of Ad-Aware? If you have the newest 2010 version 8.1, then it's a common problem and I'll merge this post with the appropriate topic.

I use Anniversary Edition which works - Smart Scan in ~1 min and Full Scan in ~2 hrs.

[quote name='visitor' post='114859' date='Dec 30 2009, 04:17 PM']Which version of Ad-Aware? If you have the newest 2010 version 8.1, then it's a common problem and I'll merge this post with the appropriate topic.

I use Anniversary Edition which works - Smart Scan in ~1 min and Full Scan in ~2 hrs.[/quote]

[color="#800080"]
[u]I have the newest version on both computers-8.1.3

How can I go back to the old version?

thanks[/u][/color]

[quote name='Zipy' post='114070' date='Dec 6 2009, 06:16 PM']I just installed the latest free version and did a full scan, or at least 7 hours is where I stopped it. It was obviously still scanning (scrolling through different files) so it wasn't just stuck. Even the old version took a long time, but isn't 7+ hours rediculous? I wasn't downloading anything and in fact wasn't even on the computer during the scan. Can someone offer some insight ? Thanks.[/quote]

To all complaining about slow scan times. Well the reason for this is that Lavasoft decided they wanted to add anti virus and other stuff to this spy ware software. Now if someone wanted an anti virus why in the hell would they want to use Lavasoft with ALL the problems these pinheads have with new versions and updates. I have the latest version of AVG antivirus and it updates in a very short time and I have never had any problems with it. The Anniversary Edition of Ad-Aware in my opinion was a good program but they can't leave well enough alone. I updated to the 8.1 version and it took over a minute to load the darn GUI whereas on the AE version it took about 20 seconds when the AAWservice.exe wasn't loaded but once it was loaded then the GUI loaded instantly. I dread the day when I can no longer update the virus definitions in AE and have to manually download which IS ANOTHER PROBLEM. The manual download speed on the core.zip file is 10-50 kbs whereas other files/programs download at about 375 kbs about 20-30 times slower. I can remember back when Ad-Aware first started it was a good little program but lately has become a headache. Now I AM A PAYING CUSTOMER I am not using the free version but that doesn't change anything Lavasoft DOES NOT HAVE ANY CUSTOMER SUPPORT TO SPEAK OF. So All of us should complain to Lavasoft and tell them why did they put anti virus into this if they didn't know how to make it work faster, in fact why don't they go back to the Anniversary Edition and forget about anti virus let the people who know what they are doing write that software. These pinheads at Lavasoft haven't seen the football since the kickoff !!!!!

[quote name='jenaisme001' post='114861' date='Dec 30 2009, 02:23 PM']I have the newest version on both computers-8.1.3 . . . How can I go back to the old version?[/quote]

Anniversary Edition, version 8.0.x
[url="http://filehippo.com/download_ad-aware/"]http://filehippo.com/download_ad-aware/[/url]

I suggest:

- a manual clean uninstall of Lavasoft/Ad-Aware, or use Revo Uninstaller (revouninstaller.com).
- save the Anniversary Edition installer to your HD, do not execute it from the browser temp download file.
- after installation, turn off auto-updates
- manually update definitions only: [url="http://www.lavasoft.com/mylavasoft/support/faqs/i-cannot-update-the-definitions-file-what-should-i-do"]http://www.lavasoft.com/mylavasoft/support...hat-should-i-do[/url]
(clicking "update" will update both the software and definitions, which will result in nag screens prompting you to update to the 2010 version 8.1)

I, too, am having slow scan time with 8.1.3. I'm running XP SP3, 200gb hd, 2 gb ram, Trend Micro Internet Security 2010 and it take 3:48 for a full scan. On two Vista computers, both 300gb HD, dual core processors, 3gb ram, Trend Micro Internet Security 2010, full scan time 3:15, so what is going on, about ready to switch to Malwarebytes. :(
KDW220

Sign in to follow this