• Announcements

• LS.Andy

Support for other products than adaware, ad block, web protection and Web Companion   05/05/2017

Support for the following products is handled by the Lavasoft support team: Lavasoft Tuneup Kit Lavasoft PC Optimizer Lavasoft Driver Updater Lavasoft Registry Tuner Lavasoft Privacy Toolbox Lavasoft File Shredder Lavasoft Digital Lock

For help with these products, contact the support team here: http://www.lavasoft.com/support/supportcenter/

Sign in to follow this  
Carlibra

Ad-Aware Scanning Engine could not be found

I have had the free version of Ad-Aware on my computer and when I tried to save a photo file from a friend (after first being scanned by Yahoo's Norton Anti-Virus) it popped open a file transfer window saying

warning: "The Ad-Aware scanning engine could not be found. Please make sure that you have the latest version of Ad-Aware installed."

Ok, so I closed the email, went to Lavasoft and did a update check, the message it was up todate.

Then I tried to save the photo file again, same message as before.

Ok, so I then decided to unistall Ad-Aware from my computer, that worked fine, then rebooted, then went to the CNET website to get the free download for Ad-Aware,

but..... once again the same message appears, stated above, which is prohibiting this download because "The Ad-Aware scanning engine can't be found", thus I'm in a catch 22!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is a problem with Ad-Aware's Download Guard. You should be able to uninstall it through Add/Remove programs or disable it in IE Tools/Manage Add-ons.

[quote name='visitor' post='115338' date='Jan 14 2010, 08:32 PM']This is a problem with Ad-Aware's Download Guard. You should be able to uninstall it through Add/Remove programs or disable it in IE Tools/Manage Add-ons.[/quote]

the program was already uninstalled, it's the re-installing of the ad-aware progam that's being prohibited because it requires a file transfer to download the program, and since the ad-aware scanning engine can't be found, it prohibits the file transfer.

How can I get a scanning engine again if it keeps saying you don't have one and also it won't allow me to get a new one? it's a catch 22

the IE tools/manage add-ons has nothing there for scanning engine, I looked already.

I solved the issue but now have a new one!

I went to control panel/add-remove programs

I found and did a repair on: Download Guard for Internet Explorer

This solve the issue which was preventing a file transfer from completing due to the fact that the Ad-Aware scanning engine couldn't be found.

New problem:

Reinstalled Ad-Aware, program installed fine, then rebooted, upon appearance of desktop, a Lavasoft Ad-Aware window appears, saying, "Loading......"

Unfortunately, after about a minute it then says in a new window,

Connection Error "Failed to connect to service"

Now what????

My previous comment was to uninstall by Add/Remove or disable by IE add-ons the Download Guard, not the entire Ad-Aware program. Also, if you uninstall/reinstall Ad-Aware, there is the option to not install Download Guard. Anyhow, glad you can download files now.

For the service problem, read this thread:

[url="http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?showtopic=27351"]http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?showtopic=27351[/url]