Sign in to follow this  
fgero

2010 version of Ad-Aware

Hi
I am trying to upgrade free version of ad-ware, from The Anniversary Edition. When I start the installation it gives me the following message

Ad-Aware
---------------------------
Error A network error occurred while attempting to read from the file: C:\DOCUME~1\ADMINI~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\mia1\Ad-AwareAE.msi
---------------------------
OK

I have thought of uninstalling Anniversary edition and then try to install the current version.
Could anyone advise what I need to do?

with thanks
Frank

Yes, installing over the top seems to cause this problem. You can try uninstalling through Add/Remove, but might get a similar message. Best results for a clean uninstall is to do it yourself manually or using a program like Revo Uninstaller (revouninstaller.com). On the highest setting, it will remove Lavasoft/Ad-Aware.

When you install the new version, execute the installer from your HDD/desktop, not the browser temp download file. I also close other apps/processes while installing to avoid any conflicts.

[quote name='visitor' post='115793' date='Jan 26 2010, 08:33 AM']Yes, installing over the top seems to cause this problem. You can try uninstalling through Add/Remove, but might get a similar message. Best results for a clean uninstall is to do it yourself manually or using a program like Revo Uninstaller (revouninstaller.com). On the highest setting, it will remove Lavasoft/Ad-Aware.

When you install the new version, execute the installer from your HDD/desktop, not the browser temp download file. I also close other apps/processes while installing to avoid any conflicts.[/quote]

Hi thank you for that suggestion. I will try it.

Thanks for this idea "Visitor". I've used AAW freeware for 6 years now. Added it to my new laptop in 2006. Been real happy with it, in the past.

I attempted to update my free AE to the 2010 (AAW Malware?) version (I'm just not so sure about anything Ad-Aware anymore) with much of the same results.

For any LS folks - The first failed attempt to down load 2010 referenced mia.lib missing. On these forums (archived and closed) I found the file and followed the directions. Actual path found C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\{7972B2E5-3E09-4E5E-81B7-FE5819D6772F}. 2 AAW files: Ad-AwareAE.exe and Ad-AwareAE.msi. Added the .lib file. No help. I run Windowws XP, SP3. This did not work. I tried the instance.res search to no avail.
Uninstall returns same message.

I'll reply again once I've given a sporting try...

Revo uninstaller: Luvit!! But got to be very careful: powerful uninstaller. Novices could goof it up QUICK.
Anyhow, Ad-Aware gone.
Thanks visitor.
Bye-bye LS. it's was nice for awhile.

[quote name='visitor' post='115793' date='Jan 26 2010, 02:33 AM']Yes, installing over the top seems to cause this problem. You can try uninstalling through Add/Remove, but might get a similar message. Best results for a clean uninstall is to do it yourself manually or using a program like Revo Uninstaller (revouninstaller.com). On the highest setting, it will remove Lavasoft/Ad-Aware.

When you install the new version, execute the installer from your HDD/desktop, not the browser temp download file. I also close other apps/processes while installing to avoid any conflicts.[/quote] Edited by LuvMyLaptop

Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help :)

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact the staff member who was helping you with your issue.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.

Thank you !