Sign in to follow this  
wadecjl@verizon.net

8.1 with updates still hangs

I read all of the posts from Oct through Dec. 2009, when Lavasoft said this problem was fixed and to start a new thread if Adaware still hung during a scan. I have updated to the latest release and all of the issues reported previously are still there. Two problems in the critical area, but I cannot launch Adaware to remove them. Everytime I scan the program aborts and requests that I send the error (which I have). I have disabled Norton's--no success. Any help will be appreciated.

Just to confirm, you have version 8.1.4?

Read the instructions in my signature about posting in the HijackThis forum. Somebody can help you diagnose/remove any malware which may be affecting Ad-Aware. Once you're system is clean, post back here if you're still having problems.

I have used Adaware for years without any problems. Then, when the newest version came out this fall I was one of those affected by the stalling/hanging issue. I removed the newest version and reverted back to using the Anniversary edition. It worked fine. I read that a fix had been made for the hanging during/after a scan so I removed the Anniversary edition and installed the newest, updated edition of 8.1. Before I used it I completely updated it to the newest program and definitions update through Jan 30th. I have attempted to scan, smart scan, full scan, etc to no avail. The program always completes its scan, but hangs. I cannot press the button that changes from "stop" to "complete this action" or whatever it says at the bottom of the screen when the scan is done and you press the button to "clean" the items up Adaware found. The GUI goes all weird too, ie, I cannot do anything but hit the red X in the upper right corner to close the program. Then I get the same issue at the original post each time I try to reopen Adaware....it tells me I have unexpectedly closed Adaware and to send a report to Lavasoft.....which I have done....many times. Then, if I go into the task manager and end all Adaware process I can open Adaware, update it, run the scan(s) again, and it still hangs....each and every time. I don's use Norton, I use McAfee, and have never had a problem before. Am I missing something, or did the fix NOT fix this issue for everyone? :huh:

Well the frequency of reports has certainly dropped dramatically. So we presumed it had been fixed for everybody - although of course we can never be sure!

Modern malware can interfere with security programs like Ad-Aware, so it might be worth starting a new topic in the HJT forum outlining the issues (eventhough it doesn't seem to affect AE).

Casey

Sign in to follow this