Sign in to follow this  
Lunever

Request for latest SE compatible definitions

Hi everyone!

I'm searching for the latest published definition files that are compatible to Ad-Aware SE personal in order to update a very old machine.

I'm really just looking for that file, there's no need to start a version debate, a debate about nostalgia, security preferences or the need to convince me of newer program versions.

I' couldn't find any official download anymore, but any defs later than 27.12.2007 would be welcome.

Thanks!

[s]Obviously since SE is no longer supported Lavasoft do not host the definition files for them.[/s] So the only option is to download them from a 3rd party website which is very dangerous.

Without going into a debate...you really should either use 8.1 (if you can) or find another security product.

Casey

EDIT: Apparently, they do - well snooped visitor :huh: Edited by casey_boy

I'm not sure the date of these defs since I don't have SE anymore, but it's probably the last release before they discontinued SE in March 2009.

8.67mb

[url="http://download.lavasoft.com/public/defs.ref"]http://download.lavasoft.com/public/defs.ref[/url]

Well, thank you! Seems I missed that the old defs are still there.

Now that ist settled, let's think about upgrading to a newer build.

Since I'm talking about securing an old machine, it would have to be a build that does not take much ressources. That is, no boot-up autostart services required to run the program in order, no tray agents, no mandatory realtime check, no background surveilance processes. Just a tool that runs when manually called up and checks the HD for malware when the user manually says so.

So how woould you rate newer ad-aware builds in that respect? Any experiences?

using their default settings the newer versions would perhaps be too much of a strain - however, we can quite easily adapt the program.

The big question though is what operating system are you using on the computer?

OK that's fine.

Well you can install 8.1 and then set the Lavasoft Ad-Aware Service to manual start-up and disable Ad-Watch. That way, Ad-Aware will only run when you start it.

Casey

Sign in to follow this