Sign in to follow this  
pietenpohl

Ad=Aware 8.2.0

I have today downloaded Ad-Aware Free 8.2.0. However, it shuts itself down after only 34 seconds into the scan. I am operating Windows XP with Windows firewall and AVG anti-virus. (I am not using Norton.) I did try uninstalling it then re-installing it but the problem remains. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what might be going wrong or where I might find version 8.1.4 which seemed to work OK. Thank you.

[quote name='pietenpohl' post='116795' date='Feb 17 2010, 06:46 AM']I have today downloaded Ad-Aware Free 8.2.0. However, it shuts itself down after only 34 seconds into the scan. I am operating Windows XP with Windows firewall and AVG anti-virus. (I am not using Norton.) I did try uninstalling it then re-installing it but the problem remains. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what might be going wrong or where I might find version 8.1.4 which seemed to work OK. Thank you.[/quote]

I also upgraded to 8.2.0 from a previous version yesterday, and as yet it won't get past scanning 2000 or so files before shutting down and generating an error report (which I can't see) and asks me to forward it.) I tried re-installing it, but it was the same result.

Is there a fix coming?

Same going on here, updated to 8.2 yesterday and then it would not longer scan. Here is the error report that MS gives me:

szAppName : AAWService.exe szAppVer : 8.0.0.0 szModName : kernel32.dll
szModVer : 5.1.2600.5781 offset : 00012afb

C:\DOCUME~1\j\LOCALS~1\Temp\WERcf5f.dir00\AAWService.exe.mdmp
C:\DOCUME~1\j\LOCALS~1\Temp\WERcf5f.dir00\appcompat.txt

Running XP Media Center, SP3, ATT/Yahoo for Email client. Zone Alarm Security Suete latest version. All was find untill I got the latest update from Ad Aware.

John

[quote name='pietenpohl' post='116795' date='Feb 17 2010, 06:46 AM']I have today downloaded Ad-Aware Free 8.2.0. However, it shuts itself down after only 34 seconds into the scan. I am operating Windows XP with Windows firewall and AVG anti-virus. (I am not using Norton.) I did try uninstalling it then re-installing it but the problem remains. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what might be going wrong or where I might find version 8.1.4 which seemed to work OK. Thank you.[/quote]

Casy,
read about going back to 8.1 but I'm not comfortable doing that.

John

[quote name='casey_boy' post='116803' date='Feb 17 2010, 08:06 AM'][url="http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?showtopic=28592"]http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?showtopic=28592[/url][/quote]

[quote name='jjr' post='116824' date='Feb 17 2010, 04:09 PM']Casy,
read about going back to 8.1 but I'm not comfortable doing that.

John[/quote]

Well there's no fix at the moment, so you'll just have to wait until one is released.

Casey

I am having the same abend problem with Ad-Aware 8.2.0 on my laptop that runs Windows XP Home SP3.

I uninstalled 8.2.0 and the re-installed it again, but the problem was still present.

So I have now installed Ad-Aware 8.1.4 on that machine.

However, I have another laptop that runs Windows Vista Home Premium and Ad-Aware 8.2.0 runs correctly on that machine.

I found that I saved the 8.1 version and reinstalled that and it works fine again. Also I turn off all the auto updates. I hope that Lavasoft comes up for a fix fast a I paid for this and expect it to work;-)

[quote name='snowcat2' post='116835' date='Feb 17 2010, 11:59 AM']I am having the same abend problem with Ad-Aware 8.2.0 on my laptop that runs Windows XP Home SP3.

I uninstalled 8.2.0 and the re-installed it again, but the problem was still present.

So I have now installed Ad-Aware 8.1.4 on that machine.

However, I have another laptop that runs Windows Vista Home Premium and Ad-Aware 8.2.0 runs correctly on that machine.[/quote]

[quote name='jjr' post='116836' date='Feb 17 2010, 12:01 PM']I found that I saved the 8.1 version and reinstalled that and it works fine again. Also I turn off all the auto updates. I hope that Lavasoft comes up for a fix fast a I paid for this and expect it to work;-)[/quote]

You paid for 8.2.0 ?? I thought it was free. I never paid for it.

HEHE lets not split hairs ;-) I did just renew my license though. Lavasoft support just wrote me back saying that they are aware of the problem and on top of it. In the meantime they told me to uninstall 8.2 and reinstall 8.1. Below if there reply.

We are aware of this issue, it has been reported to our developers and they have prioritized it.

We will hopefully have it resolved shortly.

In the meantime, please uninstall the current version of Ad-Aware and install the previous one instead: [url="http://download.lavasoft.com/public/81/Ad-AwareInstallation.exe"]http://download.lavasoft.com/public/81/Ad-...nstallation.exe[/url]

When a fix for this issue is released, it will be announced in the Support Center blog at Lavasoft.com.

Did you download the update from download.com or through the update screen in Ad-Aware?

[quote name='angcos' post='116847' date='Feb 17 2010, 03:11 PM']You paid for 8.2.0 ?? I thought it was free. I never paid for it.[/quote]

Well, from what I have read it looks like version 8.2 works fine with Vista. I have Vista 32-bit OS, and it is working fine on my computer. Really interesting. Hope those using other OS are helped soon.

[quote name='jjr' post='116849' date='Feb 17 2010, 03:49 PM']HEHE lets not split hairs ;-) I did just renew my license though. Lavasoft support just wrote me back saying that they are aware of the problem and on top of it. In the meantime they told me to uninstall 8.2 and reinstall 8.1. Below if there reply.

We are aware of this issue, it has been reported to our developers and they have prioritized it.

We will hopefully have it resolved shortly.
In the meantime, please uninstall the current version of Ad-Aware and install the previous one instead: [url="http://download.lavasoft.com/public/81/Ad-AwareInstallation.exe"]http://download.lavasoft.com/public/81/Ad-...nstallation.exe[/url]
When a fix for this issue is released, it will be announced in the Support Center blog at Lavasoft.com.
Did you download the update from download.com or through the update screen in Ad-Aware?[/quote]

I updated mine (on Feb 16/10 and it hasn't successfully been able to finish a scan yet) through the Ad-Aware update pop up screen. When there is a fix, will it be included in the regular updates?

By the way, I am using Windows XP Home Edition.

I too have had this problem. However, something rather odd happened yesterday when I tried to downoad 8.2 from CNET. Instead of the 8.2 version I downloaded and uninstalled 8.14 only to replace it with 8.14. I tried again later and then manged to download 8.2, which I installed, then after 34 seconds it crashed. Fortnunately I had an older version saved and installed that. However, it went into a loop of "You must restart to initialise Ad Aware". I got fed up with this and uninstalled it using www.ccleaner.com. Later on I reinstalled it 8.10 which updated itself to 8.14 before it finished. Everything is now working fine on my XP SP3 box.

Lavasoft is aware of the current issues with 8.2 and have released a fix for this.

[quote]Following this week’s release of version 8.2 of Ad-Aware, Lavasoft became aware of an issue with scanning that affected a limited number of our Ad-Aware users. We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience or concern this may have caused. Lavasoft’s developers prioritized this issue in order to promptly resolve it, and a software update to fix the issue has now been released. Additional information is available on [url="https://secure.lavasoft.com/mylavasoft/support/blog/adaware-82-update"]Lavasoft's Support Center Blog.[/url][/quote]

[quote name='angcos' post='116802' date='Feb 17 2010, 10:49 PM']I also upgraded to 8.2.0 from a previous version yesterday, and as yet it won't get past scanning 2000 or so files before shutting down and generating an error report (which I can't see) and asks me to forward it.) I tried re-installing it, but it was the same result.

Is there a fix coming?[/quote]
Please help - someone! I have used Ad Aware for a long time - and was prompted to upgrade to the new version a few days ago - Oh, I do wish I hadn't!! It was working fine and now I cannot get it to scan - I get an error message saying "Ad Aware stopped unexpectedly - please send this error report to Lavasoft so the problem can be fixed" Not the exact words but you get the drift. I read the FAQ and could make no sense of the answers, but thought if I uninstalled the new version - switched off my firewall and virus programs, then re- installed, it might work. But no! So I searched Lavasoft forum and saw that there is a fixed version - so checked and tried to download the corrected version - but received a message that my version[b] is [/b][i][/i]the update!!

I cannot be without Ad Aware - I get such a lot of emails, belong to a lot of groups, I have a blog, belong to Facebook - and need to scan every couple of days to keep my computer from slowing up! Helpppppp!!!!!!!!! I can barely use my computer - I always have a lot of tracking cookies which I rely on Ad Aware to remove, and it is so slow right now after nearly a week of no scans.

I am using XP Pro, Internet Explorer, and have never had a problem like this before - what do I do? Can someone please tell me how to fix this?

Y

[quote name='Yvette O' post='117138' date='Feb 21 2010, 11:20 PM']I can barely use my computer - I always have a lot of tracking cookies which I rely on Ad Aware to remove, and it is so slow right now after nearly a week of no scans.[/quote]
A couple of options:

1. read post #3 above, reverting back to version 8.1

2. since your computer is slow, indicating malware infection (cookies alone aren't very malicious), read the instructions in my signature about posting in the HijackThis forum. They help diagnose and remove malware and give preventative tips on securing your system to avoid reinfection.

[quote name='visitor' post='117141' date='Feb 22 2010, 06:41 PM']A couple of options:

1. read post #3 above, reverting back to version 8.1

2. since your computer is slow, indicating malware infection (cookies alone aren't very malicious), read the instructions in my signature about posting in the HijackThis forum. They help diagnose and remove malware and give preventative tips on securing your system to avoid reinfection.[/quote]
Thank you so much ! I followed the instruction, uninstalled 8.2 and reverted to 8.1 - it worked! But here's a funny thing - after rebooting, the AdAware program tried to load and froze. But using the tray icon, I right clicked and scanned my computer - hey presto, it worked - then I was able to use Task Manager to exit the frozen program. You have helped this Grandma out of a very frustrating situation! I will investigate HijackThis though. Very grateful!

Y

See Lavasoft tech support response #15 in this forum. Apparently they just released a fixed version of 8.2.0 that's compatible with XP Pro (which is what I have). I just launched Ad-Aware (i.e. ver 8.1.4) and decided to let it perform the automatic update to ver 8.2.0.....again! This time the update was a success! I was able to run a Smart Scan with no "drop out" problems. NOTE: I noticed only one real difference between the 8.1.4 and 8.2.0 installs. The later says that it's installing "MS Visual C++ Runtime v9". After this last install I decided to check the version(s) of Visual C++ installed on my computer. "Add & Remove programs" indicates that I now have "Visual C++ 2008 X86 Runtime v9.0.30729.01" in addition to the original "MS Visiual C++ 2005 Redistributable v8.0.59193" installed on my computer. I'm thinking that the C++ compiler upgrade may have been the problem? But, I'd only be guessing. See #15 above for a link concerning the fix!