Sign in to follow this  
njewby

8.2 vs. Outlook

[quote name='pietenpohl' post='116795' date='Feb 17 2010, 12:46 PM']I have today downloaded Ad-Aware Free 8.2.0. However, it shuts itself down after only 34 seconds into the scan. I am operating Windows XP with Windows firewall and AVG anti-virus. (I am not using Norton.) I did try uninstalling it then re-installing it but the problem remains. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what might be going wrong or where I might find version 8.1.4 which seemed to work OK. Thank you.[/quote]

I downloaded 8.2.0 today and it did an entire scan. I cannot, however, now open Microsoft Outlook. It tries and then flashes off. I have Windows XP professional, Zone Alarm and Avast! . Is there anyone that has had the same problem? If so, how did you fix it? The scan showed that one infected file was found and deleted, but I can't find out what that file was. Does anyone know where to find the "log" file? Thank you.

[quote name='njewby' post='116976' date='Feb 19 2010, 11:59 AM']I downloaded 8.2.0 today and it did an entire scan. I cannot, however, now open Microsoft Outlook.

Does anyone know where to find the "log" file?[/quote]

Lavasoft is working on the Outlook bug, so for now you should turn off Ad-Aware's email scanner.

Logs are located here:

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware\Logs

[quote name='visitor' post='116991' date='Feb 19 2010, 11:34 PM']Lavasoft is working on the Outlook bug, so for now you should turn off Ad-Aware's email scanner.

Logs are located here:

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware\Logs[/quote]

My e-mail scanner for Ad-aware is already off; looks like Outlook wants to come up and flashes off before it totally downloads. What is a short-term fix?

[quote name='njewby' post='117028' date='Feb 20 2010, 06:49 AM']My e-mail scanner for Ad-aware is already off; What is a short-term fix?[/quote]
Unfortunately, it looks like you'll have to downgrade to 8.1.4 until they fix the Outlook bug:

[url="http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?showtopic=28592&view=findpost&p=116866"]http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?s...st&p=116866[/url]

I'm having the same problem, 'Email Scanner' causes Outlook 2000 to hang and not close. I tried to uninstall through the 'Add/Remove Programs' which it did BUT now my antivirus doesn't work and I get the error that I'm missing MSVCR90.dll from several places on my computer. BUT my Outlook now closes fine. When will we know if Lavasoft comes up with a solution to this problem. I try to shut 'Email Scanner' off but I get the message that an error has occurred and a report will be sent to Lavasoft. Any help. I don't want to downgrade to Ad-Aware 8.1.

My laptop has a later outlook, so MS stepped up and allowed me to disable it on suggestion after crash, but my desktop has an older outlook, so they just told me I was cursed by my old version, thank you bill gates.

[quote name='DGPickett' post='119402' date='May 2 2010, 07:09 PM']I suppose I must watch this space to see when it is fixed, so I can re-enable it.[/quote]
The email scanner was developed for use with Outlook 2003 and later, but you didn't specify which versions are running on your laptop and desktop. You can track this topic using the options (top-right), set your email preferences using My Controls (top-center), or just check back whenever. Lavasoft has not given an ETA as to when it will be fixed.

The desktop is Outlook 2002 (10.6856.6858) SP3 and
the laptop is 2003 (11.8206.8202) SP3, and
they both crash with the AdAware add-in,
but the latter identifies the AdAware plug-in as the problem.