Sign in to follow this  
Rowntree

Ad-Aware 8.2 Full Scan scans no more than Smart Scan

What is wrong with 8.2? Lots of problems. Finally got it to scan by down loading latest version today, BUT The full scan, scans no more items than smart scan. This has been a very time consuming and frustrating update.

Is this the number shown in the GUI scan summary or the logs? Also, does it show more objects during the scan than after? I've reported the latter to Lavasoft, so need to know if you're having the same problem. Comparing the logs to the GUI scan summary may help narrow down the problem.

[quote name='visitor' post='117113' date='Feb 21 2010, 02:12 PM']Is this the number shown in the GUI scan summary or the logs? Also, does it show more objects during the scan than after? I've reported the latter to Lavasoft, so need to know if you're having the same problem. Comparing the logs to the GUI scan summary may help narrow down the problem.[/quote]

It does show more objects during the scan than after. When I did a scan with 8.1 the Full Scan took approx. 40 minutes. When using 8.2 a Full Scan takes a very short time--5 to 6 minutes. It seems to do no more than a Smart Scan. The number shown is the GUI scan summary.

I think I will stay with 8.1 for the next week. Too much time lost with 8.2. Maybe they will have a fix by then.

If you haven't already uninstalled, could you please post a scan log from your full scan?

XP - C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware\Logs\Scan_<date information>.log

Vista and 7 - C:\ProgramData\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware\Logs\Scan_<date information>.log

Tried again this morning. Took everything out of my computer relating to lavasoft/Ad-Aware. Downloaded 8.2 and installed. Same problem as before. It says it does a Full scan, BUt it doesn't. States it scans over 150, 000 files. Total scanned states 9,400. The big probelm is the time frame. It only takes approx. 8 minutes to complete a Full Scan. This is not correct. Ad-Aware 8.1 took 45 minutes for a Full Scan.

I really thought the Ad-Aware group would have a fix by now. I have enjoyed Ad-Aware over the years, but this 8.2 is really frustrating. Glad I didn't buy an upgrade.

[url="http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?showtopic=28639"]http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?showtopic=28639[/url]

In this topic I confirmed the discrepancy between the scanned files numbers, but I didn't notice the time... I'll go over it again.

Casey

[quote name='casey_boy' post='117165' date='Feb 22 2010, 12:34 PM'][url="http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?showtopic=28639"]http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?showtopic=28639[/url]

In this topic I confirmed the discrepancy between the scanned files numbers, but I didn't notice the time... I'll go over it again.

Casey[/quote]

Just completed a Smart Scan. Only took 46 seconds. Total objects 9957.

Hi,

I have exactly the same problem with the scans. Both appear to be very similar in terms of objects scanned and short times and the full scan with 8.1 used to take hours on my system (500GB with external 1.5TB) and now takes minutes.

More 8.2 problems!

Bilby :D

[quote name='Rowntree' post='117170' date='Feb 23 2010, 06:19 AM']Just completed a Smart Scan. Only took 46 seconds. Total objects 9957.[/quote]

I usually do a smart scan and periodically do a full scan as i did today. The full scan did not run anywhere near long enough to have done a full scan. I'm no longer convinced that ad-aware is even protecting my system. I can't remember the last time it even found anything during a scan, not even a cookie.

Also today it failed to reinitialize after doing the auto update and had to be started manually. All this is making me feel like i'm on the wrong end of a bad joke. Sometimes it does it and some times it fails. Will ad-aware ever be the best protection again?

cressy

Hi,

From my scan logs.

Smart Scan (843 seconds) and (28986 items), Full Scan (9930 seconds) and (41769) had reached over (250000) before finishing and reverting to (41769).

Bilby

[quote name='cressy' post='117193' date='Feb 23 2010, 10:31 AM']I usually do a smart scan and periodically do a full scan as i did today. The full scan did not run anywhere near long enough to have done a full scan. I'm no longer convinced that ad-aware is even protecting my system. I can't remember the last time it even found anything during a scan, not even a cookie.

Also today it failed to reinitialize after doing the auto update and had to be started manually. All this is making me feel like i'm on the wrong end of a bad joke. Sometimes it does it and some times it fails. Will ad-aware ever be the best protection again?

cressy[/quote]

[quote name='bilby' post='117203' date='Feb 22 2010, 10:07 PM']Hi,

From my scan logs.

Smart Scan (843 seconds) and (28986 items), Full Scan (9930 seconds) and (41769) had reached over (250000) before finishing and reverting to (41769).

Bilby[/quote]

Too many problems with 8.2. I will remove and use 8.1. 8.2 is hopeless.

Hi,

I agree totally. But be careful, I removed it yesterday using Revo Uninstaller and the Lavasoft un-install program and my Avira Antivir Desktop Virus (Premium) Program was removed as well. (See other posting).

On top of that I am also still trying to clear up a left over LSDELETE issue that gives me error messages every time I reboot my system.

Back on 8.1.4 for me and really stroppy about 8.2 - it is a joke!

bilby :)

[quote name='Rowntree' post='117223' date='Feb 24 2010, 02:01 AM']Too many problems with 8.2. I will remove and use 8.1. 8.2 is hopeless.[/quote]

I am having exactly the same problem. The difference between a "full" scan and a Smart Scan is 186 objects. It is just not doing the job.
And like another commenter, I am left to wonder whether my computer is being protected.

When I contacted Support, they seemed to be completely unaware of the problem. I sent a screenshot of the full scan results with my initial email last night.
In response to Support's email this morning, I sent a side-by-side comparison of both the full scan and the Smart Scan. I am waiting to hear back. And I have just sent them the link to this Forum posting, as well.

[quote name='Swisstoons' post='117405' date='Feb 27 2010, 09:02 AM']I am having exactly the same problem. The difference between a "full" scan and a Smart Scan is 186 objects. It is just not doing the job.
And like another commenter, I am left to wonder whether my computer is being protected.

When I contacted Support, they seemed to be completely unaware of the problem. I sent a screenshot of the full scan results with my initial email last night.
In response to Support's email this morning, I sent a side-by-side comparison of both the full scan and the Smart Scan. I am waiting to hear back. And I have just sent them the link to this Forum posting, as well.[/quote]

And this, in part, is Support's reply to my concern about the difference between a Full Scan and a Smart Scan being a mere 186 objects:

"The number of objects which are being scanned with Smart scan are different from Full scan."

He goes on to tell me how to scan in Safe Mode if I'm concerned about possible infections. Is this what I'm paying for?

Like cressy, I can't remember the last time AdAware found anything at all on my computer. Not even a cookie.