Sign in to follow this  
dhs!uic

Update to 8.2 is problematic

Question

Installed 8.2 update, and very soon (immediately, although I didn't know it) afterward, my XP Pro AMD Quad 9850 essentially took a nap. Firefox taking 2-1/2 minutes to load, Task Manager taking almost as long... I could go on (but why?) As soon as I uninstalled it (after working for hours to figure out what was fouled up) everything returned to normal. Just to make sure, I reinstalled. Same problem. Uninstalled - no problems. Same thing on my Windows 7 laptop.

What's strange is that Task Manager doesn't report AAWPro using a ton of CPU time -- it's more on the order of 5-20%, which shouldn't slow things down that much.

Whatever it is, guys, I hope you fix it. I went back to 8.1.4 after reading one of the blurbs saying there was a problem.

Good luck!

13 answers to this question

Hi I have a similar problem as well, I updated to 8.2 on my Toshiba laptop with windows 7 installed and it runs really slow. I noticed if I turn off Adwatch Live the computer works normally. But if I put my laptop on standby and later turn it back on, Adwatch Live is turned back on automatically and the PC is slowed.
Also whilst the PC is slowed if I hit Ctrl Alt Del to open the task manager (or at least select it from the menu) it finally, after a long time, pops up an error message along the lines of "Incorrect Perameter set".

I also use CA antivirus plus 2010 and have used CA for aproximatelly 5 to 6 years as well as adaware which have operated together fine until I updated to version 8.2. I have noticed also that if I snooze Ca antivirus whilst adaware has Adwatch Live running slowly it will speed it back up again.
I also have a desktop PC running windows XP with CA antivirus 2007 and adaware and have noticed it slows and does some weird stuff like losing the desktop icons for a little bit then coming back. But is nothing compared to my laptop.

Please could you guys find a fix to this because I just bought a 3 year licence for it as well as the new licence for my antivirus.

Thanks in advance,
Paul Edited by PeAjAy1

Hmmm...

I too have noticed this. Like you say, DaSim, I didn't notice straight away but then things like Firefox just really started to slow down and Task Manager also took a while to open. But I too checked in Task Manager and nothing Ad-Aware related was being excessive and my system performance was supposedly perfectly fine.

So, I uninstalled Ad-Aware and.... I'm back to normal.

I think I will now try reinstalling and seeing what I can find out. I will try PeAjAy1's suggestion and disabling Ad-Watch first and seeing if this is the culprit. I'll report back here with what I find and will also contact Lavasoft about it.

Just for reference; my OS is Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit. I also have installed, but not actively running, Microsoft Security Essentials and MBAM.

Casey

Hi guys,

So as soon as I reinstall Ad-Aware and have Ad-Watch enabled... sloooow down.

However, I think it might only be related to the Files component, since when I disabled that - the performance was back to normal. Neither of you mention your Ad-Aware versions (i.e. Free/Plus/Pro), but I know that the Files component is only present in the paid versions. So if you've got the Free version and are experiencing this then let me know.

Casey

[quote name='casey_boy' post='117148' date='Feb 22 2010, 11:56 AM']Hi guys,

So as soon as I reinstall Ad-Aware and have Ad-Watch enabled... sloooow down.

However, I think it might only be related to the Files component, since when I disabled that - the performance was back to normal. Neither of you mention your Ad-Aware versions (i.e. Free/Plus/Pro), but I know that the Files component is only present in the paid versions. So if you've got the Free version and are experiencing this then let me know.

Casey[/quote]

This issue has been reported in our bug reporting system, bug #3511
A workaround for this is, as Casey says, to disable the Files Protection feature until we have resolved it.

/Kim - Lavasoft Support

[quote name='LS thekim' post='117157' date='Feb 22 2010, 01:37 PM']This issue has been reported in our bug reporting system, bug #3511
A workaround for this is, as Casey says, to disable the Files Protection feature until we have resolved it.

/Kim - Lavasoft Support[/quote]

Why should I disable the files protection feature in my Windows !!
I have the same problem its about time they got it sorted.. :wub:
[url="http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?showtopic=28702"]http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?showtopic=28702[/url] Edited by Cheesedoff

I have ended up totally closing Adaware the reason being that if I put my laptop on standby OR even sometimes when I have to restart my PC Adaware switches file protection back on which slows the computer down again and having to wait for it to open adaware again is annoying. I'd rather they fix the problem of it turning file protection back on after I restart or go on standby right now surely that would be easier.

(Edit) Huh I just realised after I retarted my laptop Adaware has restarted AGAIN. Doesn't look like ANY settings you change actually stick.

Paul Edited by PeAjAy1

[quote name='PeAjAy1' post='117393' date='Feb 26 2010, 11:46 PM']Adaware switches file protection back on which slows the computer down again.[/quote]
Casey has reported this to Lavasoft as well.

[quote name='visitor' post='117395' date='Feb 27 2010, 10:17 AM']Casey has reported this to Lavasoft as well.[/quote]

I decided having a few minutes to spare I would look at all options re Ad-Aware,I am trying to trace back to the update of version 2.0,the first was that the install was not problematic,nore was the Pro edition 8.0 install though it was something to be desired.With this PC my system runs Norton Anti Virus plus and firewall,not any known faults there and no conflicts,I am not one to uninstall unless there is a good reason has to be good.
With all these reports going on disable this and that started me thinking,but I did remember that I opted to install the Microsoft Outlook email with the 2.0 version.I se the install Ad-Aware Outlook mail is in Control Panel Add/Remove XP,so I opted for a third party uninstaller.Smarty uninstaller or even Revo there are many free ones out there,we know these remove every thing plus the kitchen sink :D so I removed this Email stuff lock stock and barrel.
First of all I rebooted the PC,I then went back to Ad-Aware into Settings Awatch Live and enabled all and even put a check mark in notify me only about important events,I then rebooted a couple of times still checking that the settings had not changed,and to my amazement all is working fine now,well at least for forty eight hours or so.
I do use an optimizer on this PC and I have toggled the memory down some what and decreased the menu delay. [url="http://cacheman.outertech.com/index.php?_charisma_page=product&id=2"]http://cacheman.outertech.com/index.php?_c...roduct&id=2[/url]
So far this has cured this problem,but I am not letting Ad-Aware off the hook yet so programmers get busy and sort it. ;) Edited by Cheesedoff

I've had the same problems since upgrading to 8.2. My computer becomes nearly unresponsive within a few minutes of startup. If I kill the AAWService.exe process, my computer quickly becomes responsive again. However, AAWService.exe automatically starts back up, so the computer becomes slow again--you need to kill it 3 times before it completely goes away.

The slowness problem was [u]not [/u]fixed when I uninstalled the AdAware Microsoft Outlook email scanner and restarted my computer. (I do not use Outlook).

I have uninstalled 8.2 and installed 8.1.4 following the link in the pinned "Ad Aware 2 Problem" posting at the top of this forum, and this has fixed the problem for now.

I am running Windows XP Media Center Edition Version 2002 SP3 on a Dell Dimension DM061 Pentium 4 CPU 3.06 GHz, 1 GB RAM.

[quote name='aesthete727' post='117457' date='Feb 28 2010, 05:06 PM']I've had the same problems since upgrading to 8.2. My computer becomes nearly unresponsive within a few minutes of startup. If I kill the AAWService.exe process, my computer quickly becomes responsive again. However, AAWService.exe automatically starts back up, so the computer becomes slow again--you need to kill it 3 times before it completely goes away.

The slowness problem was [u]not [/u]fixed when I uninstalled the AdAware Microsoft Outlook email scanner and restarted my computer. (I do not use Outlook).

I have uninstalled 8.2 and installed 8.1.4 following the link in the pinned "Ad Aware 2 Problem" posting at the top of this forum, and this has fixed the problem for now.

I am running Windows XP Media Center Edition Version 2002 SP3 on a Dell Dimension DM061 Pentium 4 CPU 3.06 GHz, 1 GB RAM.[/quote]

As I said use a good uninstaller to make sure everything is removed and " don't" remove from the Control Panel Add/Remove. [url="http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/Uninstallers/Smarty-Uninstaller-Pro.shtml"]http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/Uninsta...aller-Pro.shtml[/url] there are free ones around.
I don't use Microsoft Outlook either,useing a good uninstaller removed all the crap from Ad-Aware,as I will mention again boot the PC a couple of times after the uninstall.All I can say here is remove all with a good uninstaller not from the Addd/Remove,make a system restore before you do anything,check that you have an up to date Ad-Aware exe ready,and make sure you have your license key ready,here is a trial uninstaller hope its full version,install Ad-Ware again,then use the uninstaller to remove outlook mail first,then the Ad-Aware,then a couple of boots,then install again then use the uinstaller again to remove Aw-Aware outlook.
At the moment my system is running fine with Ad-Aware not to say later it might not,if you've read all here and done to the letter and it still happens then you will have to wait for a beta version of 8.2 sorry.Good Luck. :)

PS.Win XP Pro SP3 on this machine ,with Ad-Aware Pro running everything, except I removed Microsoft Outlook from it. Edited by Cheesedoff

:)

Hi everyone

I would like to associate myself with the 'problem' discussed in this thread

Running Windows Xp Sp3

If I accept the Lavasoft offer to 'upgrade' to version 8.2 of Ad-Aware my system slows down to a crawl and frequently crashes.

Really frustrating.

If I uninstall and reinstall version 8.1 then everything returns to normal.

Lavasoft suggest it is only Xp which is involved and say I should turn off 'file scan'

Not clear what is meant by this.

If 8.1 runs OK what is it in the 8.2 code which is causing the problem ?

Anyone any suggestion ?

I am still having problems completing a successful scan using 8.2.

I have uninstalled and went back to 8.1.2 twice now, and tried on 8.1.4, still no joy.

On the last uninstall, I could not reinstall direct to version 8.2, said "Microsoft Visual Studio C++ Runtime 9.0 Service Pack 1 could not be installed. Please use Windows update to install this component manually." heh.

Windows updated didn't know I needed that component and of course won't let you browse to it.

I reinstalled .NET 3.5 SP1, still would not install.

Lavasoft support staff gave me the link to C++ Runtime, installed, then used Windows update to apply a patch to it, still would not install.

Installed version 8.1.2 (again), updated immediately to 8.2 (per tech's instructions), booted into safe mode, tried to scan, and it hangs. You have to completely exit and when you restart you get the now infamous "Ad-Aware was shut down unexpectedly and has generated an error report.
By sending the error report to Lavasoft you can help us identify the problem and fix it. Click ok to send the report (no other information will be sent) or cancel if you prefer not to send it."

Intel Core 2 Duo 6600 @ 2.4 Ghz 2GB ram Windows Vista Ultimate Edition 32 bit

I don't use many forums if any,just thought I would pop in here and se if there is any result with the 8.2 version from Ad-Aware yet,came across your thread and having five minutes thought I would make a reply.
Having had some minor problems myself (read above)and to this day my Ad-Aware Pro is still running smoothly with 8.2,and thats with out the Ad-Aware email outlook,and with everything else in it working fine for the last five days,I had to get a good uninstaller as above to remove all the rubbish that related to Ad-Aware Pro from every folder and registry input in this computer and started from scratch twice,wish you luck check my input above. :lol: Edited by Cheesedoff