Sign in to follow this  
cyberlarry7

HELP! Ad-Aware 8.2 WON'T ALLOW ITSELF TO BE DELETED!

I don't know what the heck Lavasoft did when they created Ad-Aware version 8.2 - but it's turning out to be a real monster - acting just like a virus. Get a load of this ---

I have Windows XP on my computer, and like many others, the new 8.2 version didn't work. So I have tried to Uninstall - and the thing is now fighting - not allowing itself to be Uninstalled. What's Going On? How do I get rid of 8.2????

I have tried to Uninstall / reboot / Uninstall several times, but my computer can't get it off. I went into C:Drive and began deleting each of the Ad-Aware folders individually - that worked until I came upon this one file in the Lavasoft Folder: [size=3]ShellExt.dll[/size][b][/b].
I couldn't delete it / Uninstall it. It's so strong - even File Assassin couldn't kill it.

I keep getting a flag now: Access is Denied. Disk is full or write-protected or may be currently in use.
I tried using my McAffee to oust it and got back a warning about BUFFERS - that this thing has now intertwined itself into my other programs and, if removed, may damage them. What in the world is this evil 8.2??????

Someone please tell me how to get rid of it without damaging my computer - I would be sooooooooooo appreciative! Thanks for your help!!!

[quote name='cyberlarry7' post='117209' date='Feb 23 2010, 08:51 AM']I don't know what the heck Lavasoft did when they created Ad-Aware version 8.2 - but it's turning out to be a real monster - acting just like a virus. Get a load of this ---

I have Windows XP on my computer, and like many others, the new 8.2 version didn't work. So I have tried to Uninstall - and the thing is now fighting - not allowing itself to be Uninstalled. What's Going On? How do I get rid of 8.2????

I have tried to Uninstall / reboot / Uninstall several times, but my computer can't get it off. I went into C:Drive and began deleting each of the Ad-Aware folders individually - that worked until I came upon this one file in the Lavasoft Folder: [size=3]ShellExt.dll[/size][b][/b].
I couldn't delete it / Uninstall it. It's so strong - even File Assassin couldn't kill it.

I keep getting a flag now: Access is Denied. Disk is full or write-protected or may be currently in use.
I tried using my McAffee to oust it and got back a warning about BUFFERS - that this thing has now intertwined itself into my other programs and, if removed, may damage them. What in the world is this evil 8.2??????

Someone please tell me how to get rid of it without damaging my computer - I would be sooooooooooo appreciative! Thanks for your help!!![/quote]

Hi Cyberlarry7,

I am very sorry for the inconveniences Ad-Aware brought, but we suspect this issue is caused by another antivirus software. If both of the antivirus engines try to access the same file and prevent each other from touching it, there will be a deadlock. So maybe you can try to install Ad-Aware again, but without turning on McAffee antivirus protection; then uninstall Ad-Aware, still without McAffee antivirus protection and see if it works. Please let us know if there are more questions. Thanks!

Best regards,
Zhe