Sign in to follow this  
mwra

v8.2 - Incompatible settings with McAfee hangs PC [Partial fix]

Let my XP SP3 (with McAfee VirusScan) update it's Ad-Aware Plus to v8.2 and descended into a see of woe. It's taken about 6 hours to get back to a working system.

In my case the problem is/was that v8.2 enables the new File protection system and this seems to conflict with McAfee with the result that even my fast rug (in current config) was talking minutes to show each new menu/dialog. Odd ,as Task Manager doesn't show anything excessive going on.

If you hit this problem, wait for your system to finish boot (probably 30 mins+) nand you can see the Ad-Aware tray icom. Open AA (wait again, etc...). Select the Ad-Watch section, from the buttons top right, then Settings. In the "Add-Watch Live! Modules" box (top peft", clear the tick box next to 'Files Protection'. Pretty much instantly, performance returns to normal! I re-booted, for good measure.

The above was sorted in a Live Support chat (thanks Johann) and I understand that the issue is classed a known even if it's not listed on the suppoort FAQ. I'm posting here in case it helps any other users hitting this problem pending an update that fieses the issue.

Note. Don't look at the EXEs in your A-A folder as a guide to the version - they are all showing v8.0.0. thuogh the app UI when running reports v8.2. Looks lioke a screw-up in the engineerring isdie not updating versions.

Another support glitch - if you log into 'my downloads' there isn't a download only a link to what looks like some warez sitre (not very reassuring). The olny d/l link is for the free version. Wat the support section author is too lazy to mention is the installer is a one-szie fits all - IOW the licence you apply dictates what features are installed. Still, making the user guess that is pretty shoddy.

I have to say my faith in A-A is shaken. In 2+ years al it's ever given me is false postives for innocuous files. Bizarrely, for a reporting app it doesn't display full paths to offending items to you have to copy the path and paste into Notepad just to find what's referred to. I'm lless sure I'll renew my licencve when it's due. Meantime, luckily I've had a Mac to work on whilst all this was being fixed.

Anyway, I hope this saves others some time.

Hi mwra,

I had the same problem with this update (also XP sp3 and also McAfee).
My computer totally locked up and after hours of work I finally decided to remove 8.2 from the system (I had to do that in safe mode, since my pc did not work).
After that I reinstalled the "old" version 8.1.1 and now everything works fine again.

However I doubt it McAfee is the problem. There is a problem with this 8.2 version and they are working on it.
And what I do not understand is that Lavasoft still offers this upgrade, although they know it has this serious bug.
I just started Ad Aware and again the pop-up for this update came up.

So everybody, be very careful with this update!

Regards,

Matthew.

I don't think my previous post went on.
I too have mcafee but am not an expert .
updated and all sorts of trouble.
I've uninstalled anything to do with adaware - most annoying when I just paid for a new 3 year sub to pro
PC seems to be back to normal

Yes, despite the above fix, my PC has become unresponsive again and something has turned of my A/V. As the systems clean, A-A has to be the obvious culprit. It do share the view that it's inapproariate to let systems auto-update to a buggy release. I guess it's time to remove A-A until the app is fixed.

Basically it seems A-A won't let any other app open on my system - not even Task Manager or the services panel so I can kill A-A. You won't be surprised that A-A refuses to obey a close call from it's own systray icon menu. Does anyone test code before it ships?

I have contacted support but don't know if they'd replied as the email goes to the PC the A-A is killing.

Looks like I'll have to power off my PC to get back control.

Bottom line. AD-Aware v8,20 IS UNSAFE AND NOT SUITABLE FOR INSTALLATION. IT SHOULD BE WITHDRWAN FROM USE UNTIL FIXED>

Got a response from tech support, but a half-hearted effort. I was simply advised to uninstall A-A (no advice on effect on quarantined files, etc.) and to install and older version (that will then try and update itself re-infecting my computer with v8.2 all over again). Pllus, IIRC from posts here, uninstall doesn't fully remove v8.2.

You'd think after having had this long since the bugs were recovered that there would be:
- a supprot FAQ page with details about how to uninstall, effect on existing settings, quarantined files, etc.
- a v8.1.x installer that is set to ignore all v8.2.x version as upgrades (i.e. wait fro a fixed v8.3).

It doesn't seem support managment are applying much thought to this with poor support resulting from it. Encouraging users to install a version that can easily re-infect their PC with the buggy version seems downright negligent.

Panman here.
Firstly, thanks to Casey but I shall wait until a fix emerges.

I should have added to my earlier post that the red mcafee icon at the bottom right of screen turned black telling me that my computer was not protected.
All I can say is this happened several times & hasn't happened since I finally managed got to ( albeit V slowly as the PC was unresponsive(mwra, good choice of word) use the uninstall function to remove the updated adaware.

[quote name='casey_boy' post='117248' date='Feb 23 2010, 08:48 PM']Hi panman,

As a paying customer, you should contact the support center - they should be able to help you :)

Casey[/quote]

I have to say that I don't know WHY Casey is always defending this buggy, messed up, bad version 8.2.
And no, I don't want to use their Older software - not with all new worms, malware, adware, trojans, viruses, coming out off the net every day.
Let's face the facts: 8.2 is a lesser piece of software because it has BUGS. PERIOD. And Lavasoft released it - and once learning about it's faults/bugs - they're practically into non-communication on this. Where are the announcements specifically addressing this? Why hasn't a new version of 8.2 been placed at download spots like CNET? Why isn't there some kind of announcement/advisory RE "... if you have McAfee on your PC, there may be a conflict with 8.2, and we advise you to hold off on your download..."

I had Ad-Aware for years & loved it. Then along came 8.2. Installed, uninstalled, etc. And since I also have McAfee Security (the whole package) - I'm wondering are they in conflict? But Casey - I shouldn't have to find this out from other customers - you know that's true - I should find it out somewhere here in the Forums from a Lavasoft customer service rep, public relations exec, or one of their people in Programming - telling us Directly what to do/not do/ and... in no hesitant, uncertain terms. Spell it out, please. Don't be a MicroSoft...

In the end, like many others, my confidence in Ad-Aware had totally dropped with this experience. I personally feel they let us down. And if we have a problem, they'd rather not deal with it in straightforward terms. This company has a lot to learn in dealing with the public and its customers. And it hasn't learned its lesson yet.

@cyberlarry7,

You do realise I am a volunteer, helping out at these forums, and NOT a Lavasoft employee?

[quote name='cyberlarry7' post='117386' date='Feb 27 2010, 01:59 AM']I have to say that I don't know WHY Casey is always defending this buggy, messed up, bad version 8.2.[/quote]

I'd like to think it's the complete opposite. I've actually made my view on the software very clear to Lavasoft. I know it has bugs and some problems - but I volunteer here to help people out. It would be no good me moaning about the software, instead I try to offer solutions and help people.

You quote me advising panman to contact support... how does this seem as though I'm defending the product? I am simply advising a user, who has paid for this product, to contact the support team. Since it is the Lavasoft support team who have direct access to the most recent information and direct access to the software's developers.

[quote]And no, I don't want to use their Older software - not with all new worms, malware, adware, trojans, viruses, coming out off the net every day.[/quote]

Whilst I completely understand your thought process, as an intermediate solution, Ad-Aware 8.1 is still good enough. If you run 8.1 you will still get definition file updates.

[quote]Let's face the facts: 8.2 is a lesser piece of software because it has BUGS. PERIOD. And Lavasoft released it - and once learning about it's faults/bugs - they're practically into non-communication on this. Where are the announcements specifically addressing this? Why hasn't a new version of 8.2 been placed at download spots like CNET? Why isn't there some kind of announcement/advisory RE "... if you have McAfee on your PC, there may be a conflict with 8.2, and we advise you to hold off on your download..."[/quote]

In my own opinion, I do believe Lavasoft released too early. I beta tested this software and some of the problems being reported now were brought up in beta testing. Other problems are knew - as we never got to beta test a release candidate.

[quote]But Casey - I shouldn't have to find this out from other customers - you know that's true - I should find it out somewhere here in the Forums from a Lavasoft customer service rep, public relations exec, or one of their people in Programming - telling us Directly what to do/not do/ and... in no hesitant, uncertain terms. Spell it out, please. Don't be a MicroSoft...[/quote]

Again, that's true. But that's Lavasoft's decision. As you can see I posted about the scanning problem (which, I believe has been fixed) here in the forums - since that was confirmed as a bug. However, I cannot start posting about things which are not confirmed as bugs.

Casey

YES! I have had exactly the same problem!
A brand new dell laptop i3 processor running windows 7
The laptop cam with McAfee trial, which I think will run for 30 days?
I wanted AdAware, so purchasde Adaware Plus. confirmed version 8.2.0

OH DEAR!! Cue the start of critical issues!
The laptop would not boot up successfully
Mcafee keeps wanting to run checks saying the laptop ic=s not protected!
Windows is shown on desktop as being not a valid copy
Clicking on anything takes 30 mins + to achieve function

I read your post and tried your suggestion!

After messing for another couple of hours to boot then open AdAware and navigate to settings; I deselected file protection from AdWatch.
Hey Presto! Immediate remedy!!

Thanks for posting, this must be affecting many!!

If file protection is no longer active, surely the PC is more at "risk", than it should be?!
I hope Lavasoft are sorting a fix for this?
I want to see this issue resolved ASAP!
I may consider upgrading to AdAware Pro, what is the consensus of opinion?
Maybe Lavasoft can sort out a free upgrade, by way of apology for this issue?