Sign in to follow this  
boyee

AAFree V8.2 GUI Stuck Loading

I never had a problem with Ad-Aware installing and running on any of my computers before until now.

I just downloaded and installed AA Free version 8.2 from the Lavasoft website which mirrored me to cnet download.com.

My system is running Windows XP Pro SP2 with AVG Antivir Free.

When the installation completed and it looked successful it proceeded to update all the definition files. When that closed it was supposed to restart and that will enable Live-Watch.

After it restarted it was stuck on the GUI loading and after a few minutes it prompted saying that it was forced to shutdown due to an error.

I went to run services.msc and it said that Lavasoft Adaware was stopped so I started it. After trying to start it with no success, I clicked restart and that prompted me with this message:

Internet Explorer Script Error
An error has occurred in the script on this page.
Line: 1
Char: 1
Error: Unspecified error
Code:0
URL: res://C:\WINDOWS\System32\mmcndmgr.dll/views.htm

Do you want to continue running scripts on this page? Y/N

I restarted a second time and the GUI did not seem to load/appear automatically until I went to manually open the application which then proceeds to be stuck loading. It says the status is started in services/msc.

I have read limited threads that slow GUI loading was a problem but wanted to inquire for more info on if there is a resolution to this issue. I have ran AA Free versions 2007, AE, and now 2010's version 8 on XP, Vista, and 7 with no issues until I tried installing it this time.

Any input is greatly appreciated. Edited by boyee

Try turning off AVG's resident protection and link scanner to see if Ad-Aware will load faster.

Also, if you installed 8.2 over the top of 8.1, you might try a clean uninstall of Ad-Aware, either manually or with Revo Free Uninstaller (revouninstaller.com). Then run the 8.2 installer from your desktop after disabling AVG resident and reboot your system afterwards.

Thank you for your reply visitor.

I made a name mistake in my last post thinking I had AVG but I have Avira AntiVir Personal Free edition.

I have used Revo to uninstall AA completely and will try disabling Antivir while installing it again to see if it works. If this does not work I will try installing previous versions as I am seeing that 8.2.0 has a lot of bugs in the software.

So I re-installed it after disabling the Avira Guard through services.msc. Installation went well and completed and after the initial restart the GUI still gets stuck loading.

Then I went back to services.msc and turned back on the Avira Guard as well as start Lavasoft Ad-Aware since that was set as stopped even though it is automatic.

Then I restarted again and this time Avira Guard is started and so is Lavasoft but the GUI does not even load automatically. I open Ad-Aware manually and the GUI now shows but stays at loading and never changes.

I'm at a loss for Ad-Aware now with this computer. Any help is appreciated. Perhaps downloading an older version somewhere might work instead of trying to fix or make a work around for 8.2.0

Maybe it's a problem with Avira. Another user reported uninstalling Ad-Aware 8.2 using Revo Uninstaller also uninstalled Avira, so be careful:

[url="http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?showtopic=28679"]http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?showtopic=28679[/url]

Even after the 1st bug fix release, Lavasoft is still recommending downgrading to 8.1. If you don't have the installer, you can download it from Lavasoft here:

[url="http://download.lavasoft.com/public/81/Ad-AwareInstallation.exe"]http://download.lavasoft.com/public/81/Ad-...nstallation.exe[/url]

Many thanks again for your inputs visitor.

I downloaded and installed 8.1 successfully. When it finished updating for the first time my computer did not restart automatically nor did Adaware load. I manually executed it but it still did not load. I went to Services and started it. Then I restarted my computer.

After the restart it loaded automatically along with Avira. After about 1-2min the GUI faded away unlike it being stuck there forever. But nothing seemed to open. Even the processes does not show that Adaware was being used. Tried restarting again but the same thing happened with no new results.

Any other older definitions I can try like AE?

You can download AE from filehippo:

[url="http://filehippo.com/download_ad-aware/5878/"]http://filehippo.com/download_ad-aware/5878/[/url]

Thank you for the link. Installed AE and still same problem. Except this time I noticed something weird. I tried starting the service but it would change to Stopped right away.

The dependencies says it is dependent on the Remote Procedure Call which is started. I see a RPC Locater which was stopped so I tried to start it and see if that made any difference which it did not.

I am stumpped. Perhaps it might have something to do with Ad-Aware or maybe I am missing some components necessary to run it since the computer I am trying to install it in is a Asus EEEPC 900A 4GBSSD unix converted to XP nLighted.

Hopefully you've been doing clean uninstalls and not installing over the top - it doesn't work well. Might want to manually do it - before installing AE, I just searched and deleted all Lavasoft folders, files, and registry entries - or you could use Revo (with risk of accidentally uninstalling Avira like the other user). I suppose it could also be your OS, but I don't know how your "unix converted" system differs from standard XP.

All of my uninstalls have been done using Revo which does not affect my Avira.

The difference with the standard XP is that using the nLite software users are capable of choosing which files to install or not including some key files needed for some might say "essential" operations to be done with the Standard XP. The purpose to use the nLite software is to reduce the OS file size since those who convert or create a second partition on top of their unix system (factory Xandros) have 4 or 8gb SSDs.

I am aware that some ASUS drivers would not work if some of the key files were not installed, thus having to go back and "nLite" XP again to make the drivers work. This could be why AA doesnt work with mine and I am not sure if others who have experienced this problem have had similar systems or not which then maybe its something in the AA software that our computers are rejecting.

I have installed Spybot and Malwarebytes with success in running these programs to catch an infection when I (stupidly) tried downloading the AE version from some shady website (it caused my search result links on Google to take me to another page instead of the actual site). Problem with these programs is that they do not offer the live protection.

Hm... seems like more people are having issues with the GUI being stuck at "loading" with XP hence the new threads being created. Hope this issue gets resolved. In the meantime I'll keep trying to diagnose it. Edited by boyee

[quote name='boyee' post='117575' date='Mar 2 2010, 10:30 PM']I have installed Spybot and Malwarebytes. Problem with these programs is that they do not offer the live protection.[/quote]
Thanks for the explanation of nLite. Spybot has real-time resident protection with Tea Timer and SDHelper. It's similar to Ad-Aware's in that it monitors processes and registry. The immunization blocks URLs via the hosts file, similar to Ad-Aware Pro's "network protection."

[url="http://forums.spybot.info/showpost.php?p=48702&postcount=2"]http://forums.spybot.info/showpost.php?p=4...amp;postcount=2[/url]

Since I imagine your OS setup is fairly rare, it's tough to tell if that's the problem when Ad-Aware 8.2 is so buggy. I guess you'll have to wait until they release a more stable version.

Here's an update to getting Ad-Aware to work with my system:

I downloaded Ad-Aware 2008 Free and installed it and it performs well. All the features work as they should i.e. updating and scanning.

Perhaps Lavasoft can look at the differences between version 8 and 2008 for why the GUI in version 8 freezes when loading.