Sign in to follow this  
s_turner

Help! getting "Error 12029" - could AAW be blocking access to an FTP site?

i'm 100% not sure, but it seems that ever since i updated to v8, i can't get on an ftp site that i was previously able to access.
when i ran the IE diagnostic, it gave me 'Error 12029'. it won't work in firefox either.
i have done everything i can think of - cleared cookies, history and upgraded both browsers.
i know it's not the ftp site. other people can access it with no problem.
i really need to figure this out b/c it is hindering my work.

Blocking URLs is only available with the Pro version "Ad-Watch Live Network Protection" whereas the free version of Ad-Aware only blocks malicious processes. If you shutdown Ad-Aware completely, and are still blocked, it may be some setting was changed or maybe an update on another program.

If this is a bug, we'll need more specific info than v8. (8.1.4 or 8.2.0 and Free, Plus, Pro) before we can report it to Lavasoft.

i'm sorry i always forget to say that we did pay for this. i also submitted this problem to the paid support area and they said it is "unlikely" that AAW is causing the problem. i am just trying to cover all bases in solving this b/c it is affecting my job. as i said, my inability to access this one single site seemed to coincide with doing the AAW update. it is now V8.2.0.
i have researched this error code and found a huge variety of responses, most of which involve firewalls, norton or IE7. i can't get it to work regardless of which browser i use. i am not knowledgeable enough to start changing registry settings or looking for hidden bits of old programs that i thought i'd properly uninstalled. i don't think i ever had norton on this machine.
i have a friend looking into it for me also. like i said, i am grasping at straws.

Try disabling Ad-Aware and see if you can access the site then. That'll give us an idea if it is Ad-Aware.

To disable Ad-Aware; right click the system tray icon and click exit, then click yes to confirm.

Casey

i did this. it has no effect. in light of the problems i've had with the new version of AAW, i kind of assumed there might be something running in the background or hidden which could be the cause.

No - it shouldn't.

That definitely closed Ad-Aware down, so it's likely this isn't Ad-Aware related. If you're not convinced, then you could try uninstalling? Then reinstall if it still doesn't change.

Casey