Sign in to follow this  
Iain010

Blocked file attachments

I uninstalled the Anniversary edition when I deduced that this was preventing me from downloading file attachments - even common file types such as Word and Excel which I had sent to myself! - and this seemed to cure the problem. I read somewhere about a patch that fixed this but instead I installed Ad-Aware 2010 Free. Looks like the problem has come back. Can't find any reference to this in FAQ'a, perhaps I am missing something.
I use Yahoo webmail and Windows XP Home.
Is the only solution to quit using Ad-Aware?

Are you using Internet Explorer and did you install Download Guard when you installed Ad-Aware? If so You need to disable it in IE Add-Ons. This is a known bug that is being worked on.

[quote name='cressy' post='118240' date='Mar 22 2010, 11:53 PM']Are you using Internet Explorer and did you install Download Guard when you installed Ad-Aware? If so You need to disable it in IE Add-Ons. This is a known bug that is being worked on.[/quote]

Hi

Yes I use IE 8. I'm not 100% sure if I installed Download Guard but it is quite probable. I have uninstalled Ad-Adware 2010 in the interim - with beneficial results (!). Are you recommending me to reinstall it (the original download file is still on my hard drive I believe) but somehow to ensure that Download Guard is omitted? Or has v. 8 been patched recently which would make it preferable for me to start again from the beginning? Tks.

P.S I assume this bug must be affecting just about all users who opted for Download Guard, not just me. I would imagine that there should be shouting from the rooftops when the Fix is released.

You can still use Ad-Aware but there are some people who are having problems downloading file attachments in web mail. This only happened if they also installed Download Guard which contains a known bug at this time. The work around until it is fixed is to either disable Download Guard in Internet Explorer's Add-ons or go into Add or Remove Programs and uninstall just Download Guard not Ad-Aware.