Sign in to follow this  
dmullins

Email Scanner

Question

I have Vista 64 bt and Adaware 8.2.1 and Outlook 2007

I can't get the email scanner to say : ON it stays off even when I have Outlook on.

9 answers to this question

I have a feeling this is a work in progress. There were problems with email scanner in 8.2.0 causing Outlook to crash, so Lavasoft may have deactivated it just to release a somewhat stable version. It's not listed on their changelog, but usually they're not very detailed. No feedback from them on our bug list here either.

[quote name='visitor' post='118359' date='Mar 27 2010, 08:09 AM']I have a feeling this is a work in progress. There were problems with email scanner in 8.2.0 causing Outlook to crash, so Lavasoft may have deactivated it just to release a somewhat stable version. It's not listed on their changelog, but usually they're not very detailed. No feedback from them on our bug list here either.[/quote]

Thanks

You may have chosen not to install the Email Scanner when you were installing Ad-Aware. In that case just do a re-install and choose to install it when prompted, it will then be available to turn on/ off in the Ad-Aware interface.

[quote name='LS Padraig An Ollainn' post='118424' date='Mar 30 2010, 12:01 PM']You may have chosen not to install the Email Scanner when you were installing Ad-Aware. In that case just do a re-install and choose to install it when prompted, it will then be available to turn on/ off in the Ad-Aware interface.[/quote]

Are you sure about that, I was never given the option to install or not.

Another thing i read was that the Email Scanner is only active/on when Outlook is being used. I don't use Outlook so i can't confirm this.

[quote name='visitor' post='118359' date='Mar 27 2010, 02:09 PM']I have a feeling this is a work in progress. There were problems with email scanner in 8.2.0 causing Outlook to crash, so Lavasoft may have deactivated it just to release a somewhat stable version. It's not listed on their changelog, but usually they're not very detailed. No feedback from them on our bug list here either.[/quote]

I can confirm that the email scanner with Adaware version 8.2.2 causes Outlook 2000 on XP to crash after the splash screen. I've just been rebuilding my XP machine and it took me 3 hours to find the culprit that was causing Outlook to fail!!! Going back to an earlier OS set up and having to test Outlook after installing every significant piece of software and OS update has been very irritating; but have proven the issue withou doubt. This sort of failure that makes me very wary of promoting the use of Lavasoft products.
I have not checked any other OS or version of Outlook. :)

I have having the same problem.

I have Windows 7-64 bit, Outlook 2007 and have already contacted support (see below). I have uninstalled/installed AAW four (yes 4) times now. I have even used Revo Uninstaller at the request of LAVASOFT Support without luck.

Even then, I cannot turn on my Outlook Email Scanner, nor does it turn on by itself.

Something else is going on here.

Can you guys at Lavasoft take a deeper look? If you have, as suggested, turned off the scanner for the time being, that's fine. Just let me/us know so I quite wasting hours of time trying to troubleshoot.

-Brent

I have done all of this, thanks. The "source" file that you pointed me to was different (size) than the one being downloaded from CNET.

However, I cannot get AAW to turn on the Email Scanner. The problem before is that I could not get the Email Scanner to start because it said it was a different version or something like that.

So, what's wrong now? Thanks.

Regards, Brent

"Live a good, honorable life. Then when you get older and think back,
you'll be able to enjoy it a second time." -Dalai Lama

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear customer,

Please use RevoUninstaller to remove all traces of Ad-Aware then start a fresh installation, this should fix any corrupted files.

You can download and install the following program:

[url="http://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uninstaller_free_download.html"]http://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uninst...e_download.html[/url]

Open it and use it to remove traces of Ad-Aware using the 'Advanced Mode'.

In Step 4 of the uninstallation make sure to click the 'Select All' button and then the 'Delete' button when prompted and then click Next

When Revo is finished, reboot your computer.

Once that is completed download the latest installer package of Ad-Aware using the link below and re-install:

[url="http://download.lavasoft.com/public/aawamber/Ad-AwareInstaller.exe"]http://download.lavasoft.com/public/aawamb...reInstaller.exe[/url]

This should hopefully resolve the issue.

Kind Regards,

Azadeh - Lavasoft Support

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Azadeh -- I went into Control Panel/Add-Remove Programs... There is no Email Scanner (or any other program from Lavasoft or titled Ad-Aware for that matter).

Please look at my original message. The error that is coming up is saying that the Email Scanner is NOT INSTALLED. This is consistent with the program not being installed in Control Panel/Add-Remove Programs.

This is the third time that I've uninstalled/reinstalled Adaware. I've even ensured that the Lavasoft directory under Program Files (x86) was deleted, but it still doesn't work.

Can you send me the EmailScannerAddinSetup.msi install file to see if that works?

Thanks.

Regards, Brent

Dear customer,
Have you tried uninstalling Ad-Aware Email scanner? You can do that by going to Control Panel>Add-Remove programs

Kind Regards,

Subject: Support - Ad-Aware Anniversary Edition - Brent Hinkston

I have unintalled and reinstalled it twice before I contacted you.

Still doesn't work correctly.

Any other ideas?

Regards, Brent

Dear customer,
I would suggest re-installing the program, this should fix any corrupted files.
You can un-install the program, by going to:
Start -> Programs -> Lavasoft -> Ad-Aware -> and click on Uninstall Ad-Aware

Reboot your computer.

Then download the software again, re-install it, and register it again.

You can download your copy of Ad-Aware here,
[url="http://www.lavasoft.com/support/supportcenter/"]http://www.lavasoft.com/support/supportcenter/[/url]
Kind Regards,

Product: Ad-Aware Anniversary Edition
Operating system: Windows 7
Category: Installation

My wife uses Outlook. When I am in her session and bring up outlook, the error message comes up:

"The installed product does nto match the installatino source(s). Until a matching source is provided or the installed product and source are synchronized, this action can not be performed."

I do a search for the EmailScannerAddinSetup.msi file across my entire harddrive. I find two of them. When I try to point the AdAware program to those copies, it then says:

"The file 'C:\ProgramData\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware\Update\EmailScannerAddinSetup.mso' is not a valid installatin package for the product Ad-Aware Email Scanner for Outlook. Try to fin the installation package 'EmailScannerAddinSetup.msi' in a folder from which you can install Ad-Aware Email Scanner for Outlook."

Any ideas?

My email address is .

Thanks.

-Brent

© 2010 Microsoft Privacy Terms of use Account Feedback

{0}
Mark as read

Mark as unread

Delete

Junk

Not junk

Print

View message source

This message is too wide to fit your screen. Show full message

@bhinkston

If you already have anti virus software installed it most likely has an email scanner. That might be causing the problem but is unlikely since it did not prevent the install of Ad-Aware email scanner on my system which already has email scanning. I was never given the option of installing Ad-Aware email scanner, would have selected no since i don't use outlook, but are you being given the option when you do a clean install? Also are there any updates from microsoft for Outlook that should be applied? This could be the source of the problem.

For general information to all users, Ad-Aware email scanner was designed to only work for Outlook 2003 or newer.

[quote name='cressy' post='118867' date='Apr 10 2010, 05:37 AM']@bhinkston

If you already have anti virus software installed it most likely has an email scanner. That might be causing the problem but is unlikely since it did not prevent the install of Ad-Aware email scanner on my system which already has email scanning. I was never given the option of installing Ad-Aware email scanner, would have selected no since i don't use outlook, but are you being given the option when you do a clean install? Also are there any updates from microsoft for Outlook that should be applied? This could be the source of the problem.

For general information to all users, Ad-Aware email scanner was designed to only work for Outlook 2003 or newer.[/quote]

I am on Outlook 2007. I have a brand new computer running Windows 7 and have updated everything so I am current.

I have uninstalled/reinstalled Adaware at least 6 times now. I think it is an incompatibility with Windows 7. But, Adaware support keeps saying that I should uninstall/reinstall, use Revo Uninstaller, make sure that customize installation includes Email Scanner and a bunch of other stuff ... but it still doesn't work.

I'm growing tired of this. It can't be this hard ... I am a reasonably technical guy. The answer from Adaware is just "reisntall". In the latest message, they said that they've notified development of the problems and they are working on them. Don't know what that means.

I forgot to mention, I do not have another antivirus program installed. Edited by visitor

I don't think it's incompatibility with Win 7. Another user is reporting the same problem with Win XP and Outlook 2003:

[url="http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?showtopic=29118"]http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?showtopic=29118[/url]

Lavasoft already knows about the problem through both customer support and this forum, so all we can do is wait until they fix it. Even though the email scanner doesn't work, it shouldn't affect the other real-time protection modules or regular scans.